Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is oexec.cfg  (Read 12897 times)
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« on: June 14, 2013, 04:58:07 PM »

Tried to log in to some servers and it says, "waiting for challenge...", with reference to oexec.cfg. What am I missing here?

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 06:17:01 PM »

I guess the "couldn't exec autoexec.cfg" warning message is cropping up in a string.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 06:32:44 PM »

Thanks fromhell. (That's got to be a double entendre!)
OK. So what am I missing in autoexec.cfg to disallow my log in? I realize this is a wide open question. Any clues might help.
Note: I have logged in to numerous servers, so I do have the pk3 files for most.
Which brings up a side topic: Why would pure Quake servers show up in my list? I'm running OA on Linux.

GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2013, 01:06:29 AM »

If that's really a problem with your config files, just back them up somewhere and delete them from your user profile directory (~/.openarena/).

About the Quake3 servers showing up on your list, that's kinda weird. Maybe one of your sv_master* is referencing the Quake3 master server, or either your openarena binary is wrong (maybe you are using ioquake3's binary without you knowing?), because normally the  protocol used by OpenArena is different.

Maybe you should also check that "protocol" is 71, and if not you may try to do at startup: "+set protocol 71"
matija123
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2013, 03:37:14 AM »

Yea protocols sometimes really can kick ur ass and piss me off Cheesy

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:08 AM »

About the Quake3 servers showing up on your list, that's kinda weird. Maybe one of your sv_master* is referencing the Quake3 master server, or either your openarena binary is wrong (maybe you are using ioquake3's binary without you knowing?), because normally the  protocol used by OpenArena is different.

Maybe you should also check that "protocol" is 71, and if not you may try to do at startup: "+set protocol 71"

Depending on the ioq3 version your startup script would look similar to
Code:
ioquake3
        +set com_basegame "baseoa" \
        +set com_homepath ".openarena" \
        +set fs_basepath "/usr/share/games/openarena" \
        +set com_legacyProtocol "71" \
        +set com_gamename "Quake3Arena" \
        +seta sv_master1 "dpmaster.deathmask.net:27950"

zeroth, could you try starting OpenArena with the additional +set logfile 2 parameter and then pastebin ~/.openarena/baseoa/qconsole.log somewhere?

This space is for rent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 01:09:53 AM »

I think autoexec.cfg file isn't really needed in order to play. It is an optional configuration file you can use to automatically run custom commands at startup. Maybe you may take a look to your DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath#Configuration_files_and_automatic_downloaded_files_path]homepath (oa configuration, automatically created) and basebath (oa installation, you created) folders, and check if they contain a such file.

You may check you have read and write permissions to both folders (I suppose you may chmod 777 them to be sure).

Did you get the game from the official OA site, or did you got it through some third-party Linux repository?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 12:17:24 PM »

Searched and found NO autoexec.cfg anywhere.

Some relevant entries in log file:
Code:
ioq3 1.36 linux-x86_64 Jul 21 2012

14867 files in pk3 files
execing default.cfg
execing q3config.cfg
couldn't exec autoexec.cfg

Opening IP socket: 0.0.0.0:27960
Requesting servers from master dpmaster.deathmask.net...
CL_ServersResponsePacket
68 servers parsed (total 68)

I got OA from Fedora repo. Looks like it is running on the ioquake3 engine. Note about the Quake servers: they don't show as being such until I try logging in. Then I get error message that it is a Quake3 server. I'll consider getting source from OpenArena direct. Hate to fix what ain't really broke. I mostly play on ciggaweed, and things work fine for that.

Thanks for all the help!

Half-Nub

Cakes 10

Also known as Dots & cookies

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 12:34:59 PM »

Do you know the name of the server that causes this? I have an idea on which one it is and why.
GrosBedo

Cakes 20

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 01:58:38 PM »

Ah indeed as ... is implying, if your problem happens only on a few servers, these servers might be broken, not your client install. Some servers compile their own binary (to add new functionalities or keep up-to-date with ioquake3), and they may forget to setup the right variable in the compile script to make their servers compatible with OpenArena.

So if your problem happens only with a few servers, you have probably no problem to worry about.
zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »

@... I thought it was METALNET, but I just tried it and it said," MFARENA Server", so I was denied. Oh, well.

What I did forget to ask about is the "Awaiting Challenge..." Are these private servers, or is it a matter of needing specific files and/or config parameters?

If so, it's all good. I'll mostly stick with ciggaweed. They tend to have the most active players for FFA. I prefer playing with many players on the map. Though I'm mediocre, and get my hat blown off regularly, it's still more fun than a map with 1 or 2 other humans. And it's rather satisfying to get a couple frags on the regular map leaders!!!

Frag on...

Ingesecition
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 06:03:41 AM »

Whenever I open my autogen.cfg file with notepad (using Vista), it's always a giant mess since for some reason the return characters are ignored and it looks something like the attached image.

I would reccomend that people try out Notepad++. It's an awesome little program that can format pretty much any type of text file correctly depending on its extension, and this makes editing your autogen.cfg file much easier.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: