Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Todd Hollenshead leaves id Software  (Read 14917 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: June 26, 2013, 10:43:05 PM »

http://ign.com/articles/2013/06/26/id-software-president-todd-hollenshead-leaves-company

Crap.  Somehow I feel this "other personal interests" thing is just Bethesda PR spin....
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 10:48:16 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 03:59:11 PM »

Well, that's sad, indeed.

The same thing is happening to Epic Games, they lose almost a key/core member per month.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
ZedSlayer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 08:54:05 PM »

Well, as long as they have Carmack they still got their engines, right? Right?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 09:09:35 PM »

I'm more concerned of id software becoming Bethesda South and them turning into a Fallout games studio.  And for that reason I am suspecting id Tech 5 will have a very soon GPL release because the opportunity to release it is running out.

Likewise, this could also concern the existence of OpenArena.   Remember Bethesda went after "Scrolls"?
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 09:13:48 PM by fromhell » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 04:37:00 AM »

Oh, crap... so, basically, there's a chance to receive a C&D even if we did everything legal?

Also, if it concerns OA then it potentially concerns almost every other FOSS FPS out there, since they use different versions of the GPL'd IdTech engines, isn't it?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 03:34:34 PM »

Oh, crap... so, basically, there's a chance to receive a C&D even if we did everything legal?

Also, if it concerns OA then it potentially concerns almost every other FOSS FPS out there, since they use different versions of the GPL'd IdTech engines, isn't it?

Then maybe it get's time to write an own game engine? I know it sounds madness, but it doesn't seem impossible...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 03:38:13 PM »

Other games have no problems, but OA would stop being OA and lose any meaning without IdTech3.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 01:00:39 AM »

I don't think the engine is a problem... id Software released it under GPLv2, and I think you cannot "undo" a such thing.
The problem with "scrolls" was the name (possible confusion between "Elder Scrolls: Skrym" and "Scrolls" tiltes), and was triggered when Notch tried to register "Scrolls" as a trademark. I suppose Fromhell will never try to register OpenArena as a trademark, am I wrong?

Reading the previous thread about that may be useful:
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4242.0
(and may also be a more adapt place to talk about this problem)

I have no recent news about that story. Does someone have?

I think we may choose a different name for the game, to be used in case of need of an emergency switch ONLY... but probably (and hopefully) we will never need to actually perform that name switch. A name change would cause a big number of problems... I'd do that only if we were really forced to do it.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 01:07:36 PM »

I think we may choose a different name for the game, to be used in case of need of an emergency switch ONLY...

Open Allfrag
Open Aim
Open Anew
Open Amuse

These are my suggestions.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 04:42:40 PM »

OppaiAreola?

Dancar
Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 12:20:07 PM »

OppaiAreola?

OpenAwesome!
ZedSlayer
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »

OppaiAreola?