After a very long time (a year and a half!), I finally have a PC! Well, a netbook, but for OA it serves it's purpose. It runs pretty smooth.
So I've decided to finish many of the things I had in mind before doing my works for the OACMP and OA3.
This one is a fun map. It's not meant to be included into OA or the Community Mappack. I'll upload this one to MapRaider once it's finished.
I've started it when I've learnt how to map, circa 0.8.0, surely before 0.8.1. It spent a very long time being frozen, but I'm pulling this one out of the archives to try and give it a finish. In that time it was inspired by Mortal Kombat vs. DC Universe's "Freefall Kombat" mechanic. Now I'd call this level "OA meets Super Smash Bros".
The premise of the level is a battle at the top of a tower, akin to Unreal Tournament's DM-Morpheus or UT200X's DM-Plunge/BR-SkyLine, but without the low gravity. Falling to the lower level takes part of your health and can kill you if you don't find any door quickly. It can support up to 4 players. More players is just too chaotic.
New ideas since then include:
- Getting pushed out of the level frags you.
- The spawnpoints are reasonably lifted from the floor, as to give the "SSB Spawn" effect.
- Players start with push-friendly weapons (Railgun, RL, GL, Plasma, Prox), armor and full health. There are some health/armor pickups, the Quad, and a BFG which only the most patient players can catch.
- Intermission point is placed in such a way that the entire upper level is seen.
- Skybox! (Not a skydome) I'm experimenting terrains with simple patch meshes. I'm aware of other methods being better, but for simple terrains they may serve for the purpose.
Some screenshots. D/L coming soon.