Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Missing Textures / Shaders / graphical stuff  (Read 20350 times)
Haverford
Nub

Cakes 1

make it work...

« on: July 07, 2013, 08:06:03 PM »

Been awhile since I posted here. Rather, been awhile since I had to. Usually I figure stuff out on my own, being a programmer and all, but I'm all but lost when it comes to games. The only thing I've got going for me is a thorough knowledge of C++, but OpenGL...not so much.

I haven't played OA in a while because I have the worst luck in the world and am currently trying to RMA a graphics card, replace an entire computer case, and replace a defective and completely dead PSU that was sent to replace the first one, which exploded. So I haven't really had a gaming machine, period. But I have a MacBook Pro, which I use primarily for programming, photo work, and music composition. It's got a GT 650M, and runs OpenCL-enabled GPGPU stuff pretty well for a laptop. I also got a ridiculous discount out of sheer luck.

In the olden days, I played OA 0,8,1 on a second-gen MacBook (black) with Intel GMA 950/965. It worked. Somehow. Now I've got this thing. Oh also it's got a 1650x1050 display, which is interesting. OA works at that resolution, but has trouble remembering...

So playing 0,8,8 is easy enough. Practically glitch-free thus far. Yes I chmod +x 'd the executables to make it work. Not an inconvenience.

I want to play mods, though. Specifically older mods, which may be my problem. But that doesn't explain why OA content that has been in OA for years and years would suddenly just not work. In this case, it doesn't look right at all, and obviously so. I'll show you with pictures, since that's a lot easier. Sorry I have to link to them instead of inserting them. They'd stretch the page into oblivion.

0,8,8 "pure" looks like this.

Trying to play a mod (oatmeal) on oa_ctf2 (a pretty old map if I recall) looks like this instead. Worse, I can't even use the console easily because it looks like this! And it's awfully annoying having projectile trails that look like this, too.

I've not really changed or modified anything at all. Just put the mod folder into /Users/me/Library/Application\ Support/OpenArena/. Is it as simple as a permissions problem...? OS X really cares a lot about permissions and sometimes won't let you access things regardless, such as /Users/me/Library.  Undecided

Lots of the time it's saying something about null polymaps, which leads me to believe that a variable isn't being initialized somewhere, or the renderer is attempting to operate on a memory object either to which it does not have access or does not exist to begin with. If that's the case, I'm surprised the renderer/game isn't just crashing straight out, but I guess we've come a long way from the C-style "you wanna put this array at this memory address? but there is a Chrome tab open there! okay sure what the hell let's do it."

Use as much jargon as you want. I am a programmer and also work as a computer repair technician. I'm not "married" to Mac, either, so if you can only describe a potential solution in Linux/Windows terms, chances are I can "translate" it well enough. Smiley

Sorry if I didn't include enough information. I just kinda want to know what's going on and if it's even something that can be corrected!

Thanks Smiley 

If you do something right...no one has to know you did anything at all.

</atrophy>
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 12:11:30 AM »

I'm not very in "Mac" stuff, so I can't actually help you with it. However I just sent a PM to Jackoverfull, who compiled Mac binaries... he's surely more competent than me with Macs.

When one sees things like in the screenshots you showed, the first thing one might think is to some conflicting .pk3 file. What I usually suggest in this case is to go to one's DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]Homepath folder and check if there are recently downloaded .pk3 files there and trying disabling them (see also DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath#Yesterday_everything_worked_correctly.2C_but_today_I_experience_strange_problems]here)...
Those error messages in your console are strange, it looks like there is a problem with the shaders, but they should be the same shaders we all use with that map.
Also the error with AL (Audio Library) seems is strange... do you have DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OpenAL]OpenAL option turned on or off?
Maybe you have something wrong in your q3config.cfg (e.g. if you copied it from a previous installation from another machine, it may refer to the wrong audio library).. you may try renaming it to start with a clean q3config.cfg.
Or you may rename your whole homepath folder, to try starting from a clean one.

Are you sure you have updated audio and video drivers?
One last thing, in oa 0.8.8 you can find two different versions of Mac binaries... those from OA 0.8.1, and those from OA 0.8.8... do you have the same exact results with both?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 04:42:52 AM »

I'd say there are missing textures there…yes, could be both a problem in permissions (but if you've used the builtin zip extractor with the same user it should have automatically taken care of those) or of conflicting PK3s (or even missing textures…does those mods work under linux/windows?).

To fix any possible permission problem try
Code:
chmod -R 777 /path/to/OpenArena.app
chmod -R 777 ~/Library/Application\ Support/OpenArena

also check that you don't have pk3s named the same into ~/Library/Application\ Support/OpenArena/baseoa and in the baseoa folder inside the openarena one.

Haverford
Nub

Cakes 1

make it work...

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 08:10:23 AM »

Thanks for replies Smiley

I use the 0.88 binaries. It's r28. One server (Ciggaweed DM) I frequent is still running 0.8.1, but is a seamless transition with no texture problems.

When you say "named the same" what do you mean? Does the game look SPECIFICALLY for pak0, pak1, pak2, etc? If so, can I simply change the name of one so that I can use a mod? The mod has a "pak0.pk3" and that is where none of the textures work. Granted it's a mod I think designed for 0.8.1 perhaps...

Yes updated drivers. It's CUDA 5,0,61 and GPU 310,40 WHQL. I highly doubt it's a driver issue. I used to play OA on a machine with a Radeon X800SE, Windows XP x86, and a Pentium 4 and had no problems. Tongue Also I get a consistent 200+ FPS here and can max it out at 500+ with some tweaking...but naturally it looks awful...XD

Hmm. I'll try chmodding to world-writable, though as a server admin I flinch a little at the idea. Heh.

If there's no "easy fix," no big deal. I'm gonna switch over to one of my Windows machines once I fix it (or build it, as I've got some parts piling up now). It's just a mod. I can play online with almost no problems. Almost.

The map 13dream, for instance. Half the textures are missing, including online.

I'll look into pk3 names more in-depth, thanks Smiley

If you do something right...no one has to know you did anything at all.

</atrophy>
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 08:19:25 AM »

If all of your problems happen when using a specific mod only, it's probable the problem is with it. Could you please tell use more infos about it?

Mod name/version? Where did you get it? Did you autodownload it when connecting to a server, or did you manually install it? Are all the files of that mod in the same folder, or are they partially in your homepath and partially in your basepath?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
jackoverfull

Cakes 14

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2013, 08:24:20 AM »

When you say "named the same" what do you mean? Does the game look SPECIFICALLY for pak0, pak1, pak2, etc? If so, can I simply change the name of one so that I can use a mod? The mod has a "pak0.pk3" and that is where none of the textures work. Granted it's a mod I think designed for 0.8.1 perhaps...
Interesting! yes, as far as i remember the game looks for pk3s alphabetically and MUST find a valid par0.pk3, no idea on how are packages with the same file name handled exaclty (I mean, if they are both loaded and in wich order or if one is skipped). Personally I would try to change the name of the mod's pak0.pk3 to something else trying both to have it loaded before OA's original one (starting it with a-o letters, for example) and after (q-z…you got the idea, right?).

Yes updated drivers. It's CUDA 5,0,61 and GPU 310,40 WHQL. I highly doubt it's a driver issue. I used to play OA on a machine with a Radeon X800SE, Windows XP x86, and a Pentium 4 and had no problems. Tongue Also I get a consistent 200+ FPS here and can max it out at 500+ with some tweaking...but naturally it looks awful...XD
agreed, I doubt that's the issue as well.

Hmm. I'll try chmodding to world-writable, though as a server admin I flinch a little at the idea. Heh.
but this isn't running on a server, right?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2013, 09:16:29 AM »

Game loads .pk3 files alphabetically, and if there are some files with the same name inside them (example: /textures/blocks/block01.jpg), the one in the later loaded pk3 file will be the one that will be actually used.

But I don't know exactly how this mechanism integrates with the folder loading, and I don't know how the same shader name from different .shader files is managed. And I don't know how it does integrate with files outside pk3 files (e.g. if you have /sv_pure 0).

I think that pk3 files from all of these folders are somehow all loaded by the game: basepath/baseoa, basepath/mod, homepath/baseoa, homepath/mod. I don't know the exact algorithm, however I think that files from mod folder override those from baseoa folder (if conflicting), and I know that you may have problems if you have 0.8.8 patch under basepath folder while having 0.8.5 patch under homepath folder (hence I can imagine that homepath is loaded after basepath, but anyway it's just a guess... in general, I strongly suggest to have both pak6-patch085.pk3 and pak6-patch088.pk3 in the same folder).

zeroth
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2013, 11:10:05 PM »

The screenshots look similar to what I've experienced with GrosBedo's OA-Community maplist. I downloaded the dc-mappack and the q3*mappacks and had the same grey and white boxes. (I haven't connected to the server to download all dependencies.) My guess is that this is caused by missing textures. Can't say which ones.

Not sure that's the case with identical file names in alphabetical sequence. I have two of Gig's udestruction maps (z_oacmp_beta2 & z_udestruction-130614 version) in ~/openarena/baseoa and the map shows up twice in the maplist, but upon loading, it it only the 130614 map that is run, whichever one is chosen. But there are no texture issues.

That which kills me, only makes me try harder.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: