Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The texturepacks thread  (Read 10101 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: July 12, 2013, 09:45:32 PM »

Textures are one of the most required assets for OpenArena, alongside mapmodels. So far, we were using and reusing evillair's packs and we were on our way to use and reuse SimonOCs ones. But the truth is that it isn't enough for what we want OA to be. Sometimes we have an idea on our heads only to find that he texturesets provided with OA doesn't satisfy our needs.

Here's where texture artists come in.

And what must all these texture packs have? Well, a short list of common stuff to begin is the following:
- Ceilings
- Floors
- Lights
- Trims
- Walls

Optional stuff, depending on the package, includes:
- Base floor textures
- SFX?
- Buttons?
- Deco (in the form of paintings, warning/danger signals, etc)
- Liquids (lava, water, slime, oil -?-)

Rules for OpenArena include 2x size of textures towards Q3 Standards (for example, 256x256 in OA would be 512x512) and, for inclusion into OA, GPL compliance, in the form of GPLv2 license file and the sources (psd/xcf) included with the packs.

Some texturing tutorials can be found DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Graphics_resources_%26_tutorials]here.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 06:39:08 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 10:45:05 PM »

You forgot textures which are meant to present a material, like water or lava?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 11:14:19 PM »

Not only do we have the 2x size thing, there's also a preference to try and include detail texture stages to everything for some artificial fine detail.

if only there was a program that vould generate shaders from plain textures with detail stages with the tcmod scale set appropriately according to the texture's size (256x256 = tcmod scale 8 alien 512x512 = tcmod scale 16 16, etc)!  then all i'd have to do is just switch the detail texture used.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 11:16:35 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 06:38:39 AM »

You forgot textures which are meant to present a material, like water or lava?
Yeah, but I'd place that in "optional", as not every pack needs liquid material.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: