Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Reset settings?  (Read 10880 times)
adamo
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: July 23, 2013, 12:09:56 PM »

Hi all,

I have been playing with the console and now  the graphics are slow Cheesy
How can I reset all my OA settings to factory default?

EDIT: Forgot to mention I'm on a Mac.

thanks
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:12:10 PM by adamo » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2013, 12:45:20 PM »

AFAIK, in <personal folder>/openarena/baseoa there's a file called q3config.cfg. Rename it to q3config.bak and try.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
adamo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2013, 01:11:36 PM »

Thanks a lot!
I found it in ~/Library/Application Support/OpenArena/
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »

If it goes slow due to you set a very low com_maxfps value, you may use some patience and use the console to set com_maxfps 90 again, even if it will be shown slowly. Or you may even change its value directly from q3config.cfg file (with a text editor, when the game is closed).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 06:07:24 PM »

I'd also like to know what is specifically causing a slowdown. The common factors are:

r_flares = the method to do flares is an expensive z depth pixel read.
r_bloom = renders the scene to a texture which is then rendered on top of the scene. Can be expensive on weak cards such as the FX5200 and tile-based hardware such as PowerVR
r_detailtextures = renders detail stages, which are typically fine detail patterns on walls. Anything after a Voodoo2 shouldn't have a problem with this, however the increase in texture switching will make it worse for OpenGL ES hardware.
r_primitives = allows selection of methods on drawing polygons. 0 is automatic
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 06:09:34 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
adamo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 04:59:45 AM »

Hi fromHell,

It didn't crawl to an end, it was just that my frame rate dropped to what I considered was "choppy".
I don't think there is any bug here, I just went a bit over what my GPU could do.

It might have been the detailed textures, but I also tinkered with shadows and stuff, so I'm really not sure what caused the (slight) slow down. And thats because I wasn't sure that I asked about resetting everything.

thanks for this great game.

-- adamo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: