Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Request to remove 'feature'  (Read 12074 times)
Redshirt
Darwin Award: Posting warez on Free Software forums while also running a certain very license-and-copyright infringing "GPL" game.
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 12, 2007, 05:30:04 AM »

so. yeah..

Join a server with the name 'all' and act like a butthead.. if voting is enabled... people vote to kick.. then vote passes...

Then everyone is kicked.. as 'kick all' is executed...

can we comment this outta the next version?

I'll gladly submit a patch to comment out this code.

Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2007, 05:19:24 PM »

Hahaha that's pure genius, now that you've told us about it, we must fix it. I think it'll probably have to go with the guys at ioquake3 though, since it's more of a patch, er, that came out wrong. What I meant to say was, since this is more of an engine patch (I think) it'd be better to send it to the ioquake3 guys. But yeah, if you don't mind posting a patch that'd be great, that way I could fix my game too, I mean, I could figure it out but if you already have an idea then that should work.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2007, 06:04:23 PM »

That is amusing.  But why fix it, that is classic social engineering?

Redshirt
Darwin Award: Posting warez on Free Software forums while also running a certain very license-and-copyright infringing "GPL" game.
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2007, 11:17:34 PM »

Actually it would be wiser to update the game.qvm code and have a check in the voting routines so that the 'feature' remains, but you just can't vote to kick 'all'...

Ahhh.. then your stuck not being able to get rid of the 'all' griefer... maybe just force it so you cant name yourself 'all'

Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2007, 05:38:46 PM »

In my game, I'm simply going to create a toggle, something like g_allowAllNick that will toggle the 'allow-ance' of the nick 'all' (I guess I'll have to check for cases too?
dmh_mac
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2007, 06:12:51 AM »

Just have a seperate command for kicking all players (i.e. /kickall). Sheesh!
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2007, 07:02:43 AM »

I believe that the correct solution is to let the "/kick all" command kick the player called all.

Isn't it possible to kick by player ID, in case the name cannot be typed?

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2007, 05:34:45 PM »

Dude sago007 you suck, I was going to post that yesterday but I forgot Sad

Yes, I'm actually doing to do a client ID way, that's how other games I've played do it (Jedi Outcast/Academy), cause then what would happen when I name myself like your name, then I 'escape' the kick, I figure, or we'd both get kicked, get it? So yeah I'm going to try and make it by client ID.

And dmn_clown, that might work, you'd have to block the /kick all command though.
dmn_clown
Posts a lot

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2007, 09:45:51 PM »

It isn't necessarily a good idea to remove the kick all function, there may be a time when you need to shut the server down for maintenance and have a way to remove the addicts that refuse to stop gaming.  Probably the best way of solving this is to add the name "all" including case variations to your ban list.

The OP reminds me of the old "gain channel op rights with Alt+f4" trick...

Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »

Well, yeah of course there'll still be some variant of the /kick all command (If not just leave it), but I was just saying that kicking by names is stupid.
tw3k
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2007, 12:33:13 AM »

kicking by slot number is fine for admins but a callvote kick will be by name, right?
Blaenk
more like blank dumb
Lesser Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2007, 05:43:02 PM »

Um, you don't seem to understand. It'll be both, but the callvote one can probably 'underneath', so it'll list the names, but kick by number instead of name, if that makes any sense.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: