Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Ouya port  (Read 137518 times)
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2013, 09:03:10 PM »

I added the changes to DataDownloader.java, MainActivity.java, and cl_console.c but it crashes back to the dashboard as soon as it is done transferring files.

I'll be glad to ask around about having to click the text input field to enter the username.  That isn't a problem at all.  I spent some time working on that and I came up with two different ideas, neither of them very good.  

#1: Have the keyboard pop as soon as the player settings screen activates.  That really sucks for people who change the model a lot.

#2: Change the default player name to "TouchHereToRename" or something, this one sucks because if they don't go to player settings before playing the game then they will see this as their name and obviously it wouldn't be possible to edit this from anywhere except the player settings screen.

Yeah, it may not be Shadowgun but even if it brings just a few people to the OpenArena community that certainly can't hurt. Maybe my expectations are too high, I don't know.

No problem bud, I'll get those files uploaded for you ASAP.

I went ahead and compressed my VM folder and put it on the site, its at http://www.gamesboro.net/openarena.  I'll put the rest of the code up as soon as we have this crashing problem resolved.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 11:11:31 PM by gamesboro » Logged
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2013, 04:54:43 AM »

But, why did you change them? Are there some other bugs I don't lnow about?
I'm calling _inputManager.showSoftInput() from Java code to show the keyboard, maybe there's some trick I don't know. I'll try to call it with some delay, so that EditText would already be initialized.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 04:36:18 PM »

Found the culprit.  It has to do with the lines changed in cl_console.c.  I reverted this file back to its previous version and the game runs fine again, but your changes to MainActivity.java seem to be good.  At least the one you updated today is.  Much more intuitive now that the text is all on screen.

When you say "Why did I change them?" do you mean DataDownloader, MainActivity, and cl_console?  The only thing I changed in those particular files are the changes that you made.  I haven't added anything to these particular files.

Oh yeah, one of the bugs I resolved I didn't mention here.  When using a controller, scrolling down the controls settings it would skip "invert gamepad aim" if you got down to "wide field of view", right after the selection would jump up to "invert gamepad aim", and then down to "jump/cenverview".  Very simple fix on that one, I just moved the code to the proper spot so that the selection worked correctly.

Also, I never put the pic for controller setup on here, this shows up when data is transferring so that users now all of the controller commands.

http://www.gamesboro.net/openarena/logo.png

I've got another image like this that does not say loading that I will be adding to the settings menu in a future version.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 05:01:15 PM by gamesboro » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2013, 12:32:55 AM »

#2: Change the default player name to "TouchHereToRename" or something, this one sucks because if they don't go to player settings before playing the game then they will see this as their name and obviously it wouldn't be possible to edit this from anywhere except the player settings screen.
I don't know if ouya/android ports changed something in this, but normally, a fresh OA install shows a "first connection" screen when entering "multiplayer" menu the first time. That page allows to change your name, and to select whether to enable automatic downloading or not.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2013, 02:03:36 AM »

That loading screen looks cool.
@Gig: it still shows that screen, we're talking about toggling on-screen QWERTY input, that's related to SDL not OA.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2013, 10:00:00 AM »

We got rejected (again).

#1: We noticed a few issues with the title safe zone. Certain key elements in game would be displayed outside the safe zone; most importantly the score and timer, as well as the action log. There is a screen adjust option but it just shrinks the playing screen and the UI remains along the borders.

#2: There were also a few minor things to note. The default settings launched the user in match with 3rd person view which you aren’t able to accurately aim with, once the user entered the settings there was an option to change the view.

#3: Occasionally during the review process a notification appeared on screen informing the user of something that shouldn’t be displayed on Android.

#4: The borders of the screen could also flicker consistently during gameplay but this only happened 1/10 times. To activate a visualization of the Title Safe Area, you can enter the following via console command:

adb shell (enter)

su (enter)

am start -n tv.ouya.console/tv.ouya.console.launcher.ToggleSafeZoneActivity (enter)

Hope this info helps!

-----------------------------------------

#1: This one really sucks, the game looks perfect on 1080P and 720P, no idea why they want it reduced this much.  I can adjust the Ouya Border setting that you made but it is going to cramp the screen big time.  Is it possible to move in just the score and timer fields to the left a little, separately from everything else?  Maybe we should consider removing the floating head and weapon icon?

#2: This is happening because the user changes his name using the mouse, then enters the game and the mouse position is now off center.  If we can get an answer on the text field issue we are already working on this one will be resolved.  I did not default to 1st person because I wanted to stick as closely as possible to the original version of Open Arena.

#3: This is the console information being displayed and pelya has already been working on it.

#4: This is only going to get worse if we adjust the ouya border setting to 60, which is what is required to get the numbers on the bottom to be in the safe zone.  Any ideas on how to stop the flickering?

Other notes (stuff that I'm working on currently):  Need to disable the ESC key when the keyboard is pulled up.  Need to put Ouya controller layout in settings.  

Don't worry about using their console command stuff, the easiest way to see the safe zone is under the display settings of openarena knock screen size down one tick from full screen.  That is the exact same dimensions.  I'm really bummed that we were able to solve all of the problems from the last time it was rejected and now have an entire new list of reasons.  This is my first big project like this since Robotech TC for Duke Nukem 3D in the 90's and I was so pumped to get it released.  Very discouraging, but I'm not going to give up.

EDIT:

Pelya, I think I may have found the solution to getting the keyboard to pop when the "UnnamedPlayer" text box is focused.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/5105354/how-to-show-soft-keyboard-when-edittext-is-focused

The solution by Mike Keskinov looks like it will get the job done.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 02:32:19 PM by gamesboro » Logged
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #31 on: August 28, 2013, 02:41:46 PM »

I've kind of expected that there will be more problems. I'll try to find some time during weekends to fix what I can.
3-rd person view is a sore point for me, because it's easier to move/jump with it and it's just better looking, but everyone wants 1-st person view Sad well dunno, should I disable it, what do you think?
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2013, 12:17:48 PM »

Almost everyone changes to 1st person, I guess we should give them what they want. 

Do you think that link I provided in my last post will help you at all with the keyboard username situation?
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2013, 04:21:20 PM »

Almost everyone changes to 1st person, I guess we should give them what they want. 

Do you think that link I provided in my last post will help you at all with the keyboard username situation?

That's probably because you hit even less being in thirdperson =P.
Although it's a very nice feature which shouldn't be just dropped.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »

I'll make first-person view the default then (also for generic Android).
I've added that code from Stackoverflow to repository, but did not test it yet.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2013, 06:24:58 PM »

cgame would need serious reworking for a 'proper' third-person camera mode. As in, GoW-ish, off the shoulder, changing distances depending if you're running or aiming...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2013, 06:58:56 PM »

Perhaps a cg_ThirdPersonX and cg_ThirdPersonY might work?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2013, 07:07:24 PM »

Doing that alone wouldn't work. You'd still need it for to be aligned with the crosshair.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2013, 12:54:30 AM »

It works okay with fixed-distance camera, also Shadowgun has fixed over-shoulder view.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2013, 01:14:28 AM »

I can guess that a too good thirdperson mode may be unfair against people playing in firstperson mode.

I always thought that (PC versions of) Q3/OA do not show the crosshair while in thirperson mode just to discourage its use. Thirdperson mode allows you a see much wider field of view than firstperson mode... so if you wanna take advantage of this, you have to stay without a crosshair, for balancing! Isn't this the reason id Sotware did that?
I can guess 99% of people plays Q3/OA in firstperson mode, on PC (however, I do not have any statistic about that! It's just a guessing! Maybe I'm wrong!)

Android/Ouya port can have thirdperson with crosshair, but maybe it's not necessary to further improve it.... to do not make it unfair against firstperson users.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 01:30:01 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2013, 02:05:34 AM »

Nothing can be too unfair against first-person users with a mouse (except auto-aim).
Since everyone will start out with the same settings on Android port, I thought giving that little advantage to the field of view will be reasonable. There's also an option in settings that will put your FOV to 140, but playing with fisheye visuals is just weird, I'm sure there will be people who enable it though.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2013, 02:34:12 AM »

Nothing can be too unfair against first-person users with a mouse (except auto-aim).
Uh? Does your ouya port support mouse?

I thought the preferred servers ouya would have used would have been those for the Android version...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 02:38:25 AM by Gig » Logged

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2013, 02:54:57 AM »

Well, kind of, but in a sucky way - your crosshair follows your mouse pointer, but you cannot turn camera using it, this is a technical limitation of Android.
Ouya gamepad has built-in touchpad, but I'm not sure anyone will use it (also it's slow and not sensitilve).
You can connect bluetooth mouse, but you'll have to use gamepad or keyboard anyway to rotate camera (there will be complaints about that, no doubt).
BTW does Ouya store have user reviews? There are none on their site.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2013, 08:20:29 AM »

It just has a thumbs up button. No written reviews.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2013, 01:33:52 AM »

I can guess that a too good thirdperson mode may be unfair against people playing in firstperson mode.

I always thought that (PC versions of) Q3/OA do not show the crosshair while in thirperson mode just to discourage its use. Thirdperson mode allows you a see much wider field of view than firstperson mode... so if you wanna take advantage of this, you have to stay without a crosshair, for balancing! Isn't this the reason id Sotware did that?
I can guess 99% of people plays Q3/OA in firstperson mode, on PC (however, I do not have any statistic about that! It's just a guessing! Maybe I'm wrong!)

Android/Ouya port can have thirdperson with crosshair, but maybe it's not necessary to further improve it.... to do not make it unfair against firstperson users.

There is no way that 3th person view is easier to aim, especially on long distances. However, it is beneficial when playing on short distances with weapons like a shotgun.
I

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2013, 03:47:22 AM »

Railgun is auto-zoomed, so long distances are also covered.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #46 on: September 01, 2013, 03:38:31 PM »

I've fixed several UI bugs, and made safe zone screen border 15% of the screen, which is huge. Could you please test it? Here's .apk file, I've put data files inside .apk, so it's 400 Mb.
I've added clearing screen buffer each frame, this should fix border flickering, but will cause FPS drop.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2013, 11:02:42 AM »

Downloading it now to test everything out.  I'll give you the word as soon as I know.

EDIT:

Screen borders works perfect!  I can't wait to see how you did it.

Edittext now works on focus with button press.  NOTE: It puts the cursor in front of "UnnamedPlayer", it would be much better if it erased the hint name or the cursor appeared at the end of it instead.  If someone presses the escape key or "A" on the Ouya controller the keyboard drops and only a black screen remains.

Awesome work man!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 11:37:52 AM by gamesboro » Logged
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #48 on: September 03, 2013, 12:56:09 PM »

NOTE: It puts the cursor in front of "UnnamedPlayer", it would be much better if it erased the hint name or the cursor appeared at the end of it instead.
Did that. Also I've checked VM code you've uploaded to your site, and merged the "invert mouse" option fix. Are there any other things to merge?
I hope that the sources are now good enough for both Ouya and generic Android, so you should only change gamepad key layout and splash screen image.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #49 on: September 04, 2013, 05:01:42 PM »

You seem to have all of my stuff integrated.  Just compiled and tested.  I have some strange behavior in edittext all of the sudden.  It pops up the on screen keyboard when you hit the "o" button on the highlighted field like it is supposed to, but it doesn't put the cursor at the end of "UnnamedPlayer" and when you type something in and hit enter it drops the keyboard and then immediately brings it back up.  Very strange.  Any idea what would make that happen?

The good news: This is our last bug (at least that we currently know of)

Ah crap, I think I know what it is.  The "O" button is mapped to the enter key, so I'll bet when I press the button it is accepting it for the input on the keyboard and immediately it thinks I'm hitting enter on the text field.  That is my guess.  Did that makes sense?

EDIT: Scratch that theory, I just tried the right trigger to press "done" on the keyboard and it did the same thing.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 05:25:04 PM by gamesboro » Logged
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: