Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Ouya port  (Read 139054 times)
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 11:27:50 AM »

Another plus of the menu is the scripts can be loaded externally without any sv_pure checks so one could customize the menu or hud for a platform or language while keeping compatibility. This is just IIRC though (from reading documentation on rfactory), haven't really tested it.
.menu and .game files are excluded from the sv_pure check clientside.

This space is for rent.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2013, 11:59:46 AM »

Alright guys, here is the bug report/TO DO list.  I've tried to put the bugs in order of importance.

Ouya TO DO LIST:

1. "favorites" bug - in multiplayer if you select the favorites option you can't switch back without resetting defaults.  This pretty much kills multiplayer.

2. music stuck in rapid loop bug (happens occassionally when a map first loads)

3. When typing in game it "retypes" the message before submitting it.  I know this is needed for username entry, but this also happens even when using a physical keyboard in game, can this be changed?  Also, the first "t" in any message is removed when typing with a real keyboard.  If you type, "Without warning", it will show as "wihout warning".

4. Occassionally controller goes crazy for a few seconds.  Either analog stick or dpad is acting like it gets stuck in a certain direction for a few seconds.  This is a strange one, does not happen often.  I'm going to test with PS3 controller today to see if I can get it to do the same thing using a different controller.

5. Warning failed to open sound/music/win! bug.  Happens when map first loads.  This is another setting problem in AndroidAppSettings.cfg, although I'm not sure what setting.  I'll work on it.

6. mouse cursor movement issue, openarena cursor does not follow trackpad cursor.  This is a setting in AndroidAppSettings.cfg that I changed on accident, so I'll have it handled on next compile.

7. add in controller mapping screen under "controls" menu.  I already have the art for this, I just can't seem to add items to the menu.  It is a lot harder than I thought.  This is simply a PNG that I want to pull up, then they hit "B" on controller to back out of it. - Ouya request
Here is the png for the overlay. https://www.dropbox.com/s/ynrso4n8kpkf3b9/OUYA_Controller_Overlay-01.png

8. add in updated controller mapping screen intro. (DONE)

9. add in autozoom toggle option for railgun - user request - I believe an option for this already exists, we just need to re-implement it for Ouya version.

10. southpaw control option, need a toggle to switch left stick and right stick controls if possible. - user request - I have no idea how hard this will be to implement.

11. Better icon for Ouya Discover - Gig request (currently being worked on)
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 12:46:47 PM »

I've fixed #5 and #9.

#1 - No idea, I can switch from Favorites using mouse just fine. Gamepad-specific issue? I'll try to reproduce it with a gamepad.
#2 - That's an ancient bug, tied to the ioquake3 sound engine. I can change it so it will play silence instead of looping, will that be better?
#3 - Text input is complicated Sad and especially if you plug physical keyboard, and try to do weird things, like, typing messages. I'll try to fix a bug with missing "t". I can speed-up re-typing, by submitting 8 characters per frame, so it won't be that much visible. Unfortunately I cannot bypass that totally, because that would require forking another thread just to handle input (well I can, but if you want some fix during this year...)
#4 - No idea.
#6 - That's a bug in my OA code, you can set AppUsesMouse=y in AndroidAppSettings.cfg, but it will spam a lot of warning messages in OA. I'll fix it properly when I'll have some free time.
#7 - You need to add another menubitmap_s to the vm/code/q3_ui/ui_controls2.c, try copypasting an existing control. Also, I would rather have both R1 and R2 buttons as Fire, because gamepad tends to degrade after use, and you are going to smash those buttons often (also, you usually shoot real weapons with your index finger).
#10 - It's not hard, I'll add the option somewhere to controls menu.

All in all, I think I'll need around 2-3 weeks to fix everything (also, I want to do over-shoulder view, and include OACMP1, so expect something like a month).
BTW do you have a Github account? I would like to give you write permission on my OA repositories, so we would not have to toss patches around.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2013, 01:21:38 PM »

My github account is "beastech"

I've never used github before other than to grab your code, so it is probably about time for me to learn how to use it anyways.

#1 is definitely a gamepad specific issue.

#2: Silence will probably be best in this case.  If we ever come up with a real solution we can always turn it back on later.

#3: fixing the missing "t" and speed-up retyping sounds like a good solution to me.

#6: I'll turn on AppUsesMouse=y until we have a proper fix in the future.

#7: I'll give it a shot.

#10: Awesome

Great news about #5, and #9, thanks!  

The shoulder buttons are prime real estate on the Ouya controller so that users do not have to move their thumb from the right analog stick to the face buttons.  I would really like to keep the layout that I've created since a lot of play testing went into it to come up with a really comfortable scheme that maximizes the use of the shoulder buttons.  It really makes a huge difference.

On a different note, having trouble with my dedicated server.  It shows up locally but not over the internet.  Got any tips?

« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 03:11:10 PM by gamesboro » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2013, 01:33:29 AM »

@Gamesboro and Pelya: Guys, I know that at the moment you are dealing with bugs... however there are some questions I'd like to ask you... I don't have Ouya, but I'm curious, please forgive me... I'm talking about both Ouya and Android editions.

1) What's the mouse support provided by the Ouya edition? In menus only, or also during the actual game? If it's during the actual game, I suppose that should be somehow allowed only when playing on PC servers, but not when playing on Android servers (Android-specific servers were created appositely to do not allow mouse players to own touchscreen players).

2) Thinking about 1), makes me wonder... how does the double management of Android/PC servers work? Is there some user-readable cvar? Is there an apposite master server? And if one does launch his own server from multiplayer menu (or from "map" command), will that be a PC-compatible or an Android-compatible server? I can guess the second one, but I'm not sure (I'm looking at the Android version, and the Multiplayer->Create menu does not ask if you want to to create a PC or Android server).

3) Considering the Android GUI has got an option to change game speed (if I understood correctly, you made "timescale"  a standard variable -while in PC version, it's cheat protected-, and changed its default value from 1 to 0.75), the slider scroller is not easy to bring back to its default... is it possible to add some kind of indicator about where the default value is in the scroller, or a button to restore it to its default... or maybe replacing the slider with a series of text values? In the latter case, something like "Normal - Android default", "Fast - PC speed", "Very fast - Faster than PC", "Slow - Slower", "Very Slow"? Just an idea...

4) Reading a few reviews about OUYA, I read that its main limitation is the storage: it has got 8GB of storage and no SD drive... it can be connected to an external disk through USB port, but that disk can be used for exaple to read ROMs for Emulators, but not for installing programs. Is it right? Does this mean that all the hundreds of MB OA requires are all in the internal storage, right?
Thinking about the fact that the Android version does only download a few MB from Google Play Store, and that all the rest of the game is downloaded directly from the app, in a folder of choice, I was curious to know if the Ouya port allows a such thing, too.... I mean, allowing to download the game files to any location of choice... if it is possible to download such data files to an external disk, that may be very useful for Ouya users.
Of course, it would be important to "fix" what I consider an issue with the current Android implementation: AFAIK (unless Pelya modified this already) modifying the "data installation location" on Android initial configuration screen, does not move the files, but re-downloads them again to the new location, without deleting those in the old location (without freeing up disk space!).

5) Using a phone's physical keyboard on Android version has got some limitations: at least on my phone, I can use Shift-ed and Alt-ed keys from the "input text screen" only... do these limitations also apply to USB keyboards, that may be attached to the Ouya for example?

6) Does Ouya OS support multiple user profiles? I have a device with the old Gingerbread Android, and I only recently learned that newer Android versions do support multiple user accounts... How does OpenArena deal with them? AFAIK, it did not have difference between "homepath" and "basepath"... is it still this way? Is it the same thing on Ouya?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:42:26 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #80 on: October 01, 2013, 01:05:19 PM »

I've just got install statistics from Gamesboro.
Ouya installs for the first 7 days: 1093 (very nice, but how far will it grow?)
Google Play installs for the first 7 days: 234 (boo, a lot of competition).

1) Mouse is supported in Ouya port inside actual game - you can aim with it, but you won't be able to rotate camera more than 60 degrees with it at once, because it uses drag-and-drop gesture. I can make a video of that using my phone with mouse, if you want.

2) I've added cvar for switching between Android and PC servers. When you launch server, it will probably use your last setting from multiplayer server list menu, but I don't remember and should look to the code. It's supposed to be Android-only of course, I'll fix it in a future.

3) Don't know about speed slider, I guess it's good as it is (and I'm lazy).

4) In the future they promised to add external USB support to Ouya, and OpenArena saves all files to external storage (you phone SD card)

5) Yes, there are problems with Shift key on regular USB keyboards, it's a bug.

6) I have no idea, I don't have Ouya.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #81 on: October 01, 2013, 03:03:52 PM »

I can answer the profile question.  One profile per system.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #82 on: October 02, 2013, 12:55:49 AM »

1) Mouse is supported in Ouya port inside actual game - you can aim with it, but you won't be able to rotate camera more than 60 degrees with it at once, because it uses drag-and-drop gesture. I can make a video of that using my phone with mouse, if you want.
Uhm... I don't know if that can be actually used or not. If that's totally unusable, maybe one may disable mouse support during gameplay (until a new ouya software will allow a more complete mouse support)... If that's too much usable even with this limitation, it would be unfair when playing against touchpad Android users...

2) I've added cvar for switching between Android and PC servers. When you launch server, it will probably use your last setting from multiplayer server list menu, but I don't remember and should look to the code. It's supposed to be Android-only of course, I'll fix it in a future.
What's that variable? Again, Pelya, if you wish you can create an apposite page on OA wiki about your Android port, to tell users infos about it (e.g. differences from PC version, how to use the various aiming options, etc.). Of course, also Gamesboro can create a wiki page about the Ouya edition, if he wants.

3) Don't know about speed slider, I guess it's good as it is (and I'm lazy).
Okay, but if some day you wake up more energized, you may make something to make it easier to set it to its default value.  Wink Probably a few text options may fit, however it depends from you.

4) In the future they promised to add external USB support to Ouya, and OpenArena saves all files to external storage (you phone SD card)
Nice to hear. However, not freeing the space from the old location would be a problem (applies to Android, too).

5) Yes, there are problems with Shift key on regular USB keyboards, it's a bug.
I understand. I hope it will be possible to fix it somehow...

6) I have no idea, I don't have Ouya.
Gamesboro answered about Ouya.  Smiley And about Android OA, is it still single-user? Just curiosity...

PS: About Ouya edition, currently the game is placed 119 out of 456 in their list "by ranking". Not bad!  Wink
Note: Hey, now it's finally possible to link an URL for a certain game of their games list: https://www.ouya.tv/game/OpenArena-OUYA-EDITION/

PPS: Description there still links old dedicated server binaries (Pelya pointed this out some time ago, with this post: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4822.msg48566).
« Last Edit: October 02, 2013, 02:18:38 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #83 on: October 02, 2013, 03:44:41 PM »

They (Ouya) have the updated information, it just hasn't been posted yet.  I submitted it again today, so hopefully it will be up soon.

The information at https://www.ouya.tv/game/OpenArena-OUYA-EDITION/ has been updated.

Pelya do you mind uploading the source to your sourceforge account?

Removed mouse cursor warning from sdl_input.c, and default sound warning from snd_openal.c.  Updated code tested and working.

Turned music off in snd_openal.c.  Updated code tested and working.

UPDATE (again)

I just learned that in the next update the Ouya will allow games to automatically use the username of the account associated with the system.  This could be a really cool feature that we could implement if it is easy enough.  I'll keep you guys informed.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 11:03:59 AM by gamesboro » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #84 on: October 10, 2013, 11:51:06 PM »

Guys, reading the Microconsole Wikipedia page, I just learned that more Android-based gaming consoles are under development (GameStick, GamePop, MOJO...)... do you have plans to port for those consoles, too?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #85 on: October 11, 2013, 01:54:17 AM »

We do not have plans - it's already done, as long as you have XBOX-like gamepad with two analog sticks.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #86 on: October 24, 2013, 04:38:17 PM »

Hey Pelya, how are the bug fixes coming along on your side?

Also, do you mind posting the android server source if you have it?
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #87 on: October 25, 2013, 02:29:20 AM »

I did not do any fixes yet, sorry.
I've compiled server from OA engine sources of Androud port, the only difference with PC server is identification string for masterserver.
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #88 on: October 29, 2013, 12:40:44 PM »

I got it up and running!  Its a CTF server.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #89 on: October 29, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »

Nice, I was able to connect and play with bots. The only problem is that CTF_Compromise is hugest map ever.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #90 on: October 30, 2013, 09:23:09 AM »

Any possibilities for OpenArena on Apple iPhone or iPad? :D
gamesboro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #91 on: October 30, 2013, 09:42:14 AM »

Not as many people are playing multiplayer compared to early this month.  Maybe more will show up after the next update.

I have no idea if anybody is working on an iPhone/iPad port.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:46:16 AM by gamesboro » Logged
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2013, 09:50:20 AM »

I certainly will not do iPhone/iPad port. There were videos of ioQuake3 engine running on iPhone, so I guess someone already doing this.
pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #93 on: October 31, 2013, 12:51:38 PM »

New statistics
Ouya installs for the first month: 2884
Google Play installs for the first month: 3001
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #94 on: November 01, 2013, 10:49:03 AM »

About iPhone, in this thread http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2819.0 someone maybe was working on the thing. But that thread is quite old, I don't know about news (what about trying to PM those users?). A quick google search (for "openarena iphone" and "openarena ios") did not bring me to interesting results. Maybe with "ioquake3 iphone" we may have more luck (e.g. this project: https://github.com/sethk/quake3-ios and this post: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.games.ioquake3/1147), but I have no time to dig more now...

About Android and Ouya.. well, result seems good enough. At the time of release of each port, there were many more Android devices of any kind around, than Ouya devices. But on the other side, there were alredy hundreds of thousands apps on Google Play, while just a few hundreds on Ouya Discover. Hence, very different situations...
Anyway, I think we can be happy of both results, also considering this is just an indie game based upon an 14-15 years old game (although awesome and successful).
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 12:16:00 PM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #95 on: November 22, 2013, 04:17:58 AM »

Hi! I can see that a new OUYA firmware update has been released (with USB storage support now in Open Beta).
https://www.ouya.tv/ouya-system-update-abominable-snowman-november-21-2013/

I noticed this:
Developers can now create links that allow you to download their game to your OUYA from the web. These links aren’t just confined to the ouya.tv site, they can be placed on any webpage. Keep an eye out for these links!
Do you have a such link for OpenArena OUYA Edition?

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #96 on: November 22, 2013, 03:38:03 PM »

I did not find how exact link format, I guess plain old links to .apk files will be enough,  and I'm providing that.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #97 on: November 27, 2013, 01:49:17 AM »

I did not find how exact link format,
Maybe Gamesboro knows?

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #98 on: December 09, 2013, 06:26:18 AM »

Any news from Gamesboro?

Anyway, I try to revive this by posting a few quick tests I did for a new "Discovery banner" for "OpenArena: OUYA EDITION"...

I am not a real artist, and most banners on OUYA Discover are better than these... but anyway they represent an idea of how the banner may look like.

As you can see attached to this post and the following one, I did five tests, similar each other, but with some differences (e.g. with some characters, grabbed from images available on our wiki site).

Download banners, including sources in .PSD (Adobe Photoshop) format. They are in GPLv2+, you can edit them as you wish.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/60263008/OA/oa_ouya_5logos.zip (6 MB)

I like versions 2 and 5, but of course do what you prefer (change colors, increase font size, wipe out everything, etc.).
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 07:34:45 AM by Gig » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #99 on: December 09, 2013, 06:57:49 AM »

A new post because I can't attach more than 4 images to a single post. Read the post just above this one for infos.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 11:40:06 AM by Gig » Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: