Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Strafe bot scripting?  (Read 25999 times)
matija123
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« on: August 31, 2013, 09:12:12 AM »

Soo I was like searching on Youtube, and I saw dfwc bot competition its seems to be pretty cool... I asked Z0rn guy about that, he dont want to answer me yet. Does anyone know how to script strafe, I know i need to use notepad, but dont know the commands Smiley

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 05:46:47 PM »

and I thought those old "rocket jump alias" scripts for Quake were bad....

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:38:24 AM »

Uh? I've looked at some of those videos on youtube... they are (or at least seem) Defrag vids... but I have not understood. Are you saying that those we see there are BOTs that have learnt how to play DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/DeFRaG]Defrag mod?  Undecided Or what?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 03:54:59 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:46:27 AM »

I think he's talking about binding keys to make you strafe jump (instead of putting in some effort to learn the skill itself).
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 03:56:42 AM »

I think he's talking about binding keys to make you strafe jump (instead of putting in some effort to learn the skill itself).
I can guess that would be cheating. Easier strafe jumping would give unfair advantage against other people. I can guess it's better to do not enter that territory.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
matija123
Half-Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 05:37:23 AM »

I was about to test it in Practice mode. Not online. And boting is not cheating!  Roll Eyes

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.”
― Mark Twain
RMF

Cakes 12

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 01:59:50 PM »

boting is not cheating!
Then what is cheating? Playing unfairly? What is unfair if it's considered fair to let the computer play for you (i.e. botting)?

You want to go home and rethink your life.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2013, 02:53:42 PM »

I was about to test it in Practice mode. Not online. And boting is not cheating!  Roll Eyes

Boating isn't cheating, botting is...

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 01:15:25 AM »

scripting can be fun!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SchYKK21Mgw

sources:
http://www.esreality.com/post/683295/deception-by-tchouky/
http://www.quakeunity.com/file=2060

You might try to ask in the IRC-Channel #defrag on quakenet if anyone has links to a how-to, or similar..

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2013, 07:23:47 AM »

and I thought those old "rocket jump alias" scripts for Quake were bad....

At least I know another person who thinks rocket jump scripts are crap. Anything not done manually is cheating, I dont care..

I Think future releases of OpenArena should take out the use of such scripting, like the strafe scripts. It's very unfair for players who use their skills against scripts.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2013, 07:59:20 AM »

If I understand... for that video, they used scripts for instructing the Visor bot to co-operate with the human player to perform the tricks, right? I mean, they teached the bot to "shoot a rocket to point A when the human player reaches boint ccool so the human player will meet the rocket at point C, and the explosion will bring him up to point D"... right?

PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2013, 11:12:15 AM »

If I understand... for that video, they used scripts for instructing the Visor bot to co-operate with the human player to perform the tricks, right? I mean, they teached the bot to "shoot a rocket to point A when the human player reaches boint ccool so the human player will meet the rocket at point C, and the explosion will bring him up to point D"... right?

exactly.

and you can also script the bots to strafe jump, so you can do team-tricks with strafe-jumping bots. and that kind of scripting can be quite artful, as this 9 year old (!) video shows  Smiley

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 07:57:11 AM »

What is real 'art' is doing it manually and performing team tricks at the same time. I don't view this as 'art', but as what can be done manually, if enough skill is achieved. Only that would make it true 'art'. Considering the fact that many players have made awesome defrag movies using a mouse, time, and dedication, and not a script to make things 'easier'.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: