Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Ouya  (Read 21283 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: July 12, 2012, 08:56:01 PM »

Heard of this lately?  It's a just announced $99 console made from android stuff.

OA on Ouya would need extensive interface retooling (gamepads, splitscreen, simpler menu) for it to work out.

• OA3 data of course, for the smallest memory footprint, it's already technically optimal for the  target
  • Menu would need extreme simplification - video menu might be just reduced to screen resolution only of 480p, 720p and 1080p choices, controls menu would have schemes and then custom,

GPU is still unknown, but if it's gonna be some OpenGL ES stuff, OA3 would really need more priority.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Graion Dilach

Cakes 12

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 04:24:36 AM »

GPU ain't unknown. According to the site, they use Tegra and it has internal graphics. http://www.nvidia.com/object/tegra-3-processor.html

One shall remind what have he left behind... to actually realize that it's still cool.
greezywoap
Nub

Cakes 0

The tip-toppidy bottom.

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 06:24:50 AM »

Would be pretty neat to launch OA3 on Ouya when it's out.
However, if this were to happen, there will be lots of requests for a working campaign-type-thing. Since it IS a console, a majority of console players do not play online. And they'll want something more than a bot deathmatch (as  Just a thought Tongue not sure if that's on your to-do-list.

Here to help, regardless.
.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 09:35:22 PM »

I think it could always be made clear that Open Arena is an arena-style shooter. (Structured more like a fighting game than anything else, right?) I don't mind the way single player is setup as it is, personally, but maybe hilarious, arcade ladder-style story-lines for a few of the default skins could be compiled, like with Mortal Kombat's intro/end clips? (Might not fit into whatever the devs have in mind for single player, though, but I should keep ideas for the Idea Pit either way.)

Don't really care about the eSports idea, but I've always wanted an open-ended game console like this; might just skip shopping for a used Wii (only to run homebrew programs) if Ouya makes it to market! It does its own thing without any of intention of competing with the big three consoles at all. I'm really liking the controller too, and hope it feels as nice as it looks. 8-D I can really see this opening the doors for indie devs all the way, especially with those system specs!

If OA is ported over to that console, it would only sweeten the deal for me. Just how much of an overhaul is joystick support going to need, though? Support is already pretty good, but I can't even find terminal commands for analog sensitivity. Can't imagine banging the analog sticks in extreme directions just to hit a constantly-moving target. =P If the touchpad works like any other mouse, would support for that be implemented? I could actually see that being quite comfortable with a single thumb hovering over it instead of my middle finger, like with this laptop. =P

EDIT : If splitscreen is added, (Which I've seen two Q3 mods do already.) would the source be easily translatable to the PC counterpart? I could always run separate windows for that, yes, but splitscreen would make the controls less difficult to sort out.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2012, 01:36:23 AM by .Luke » Logged

|
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2012, 05:56:32 AM »

Oh, Tegra3?'s a gpu too. forgot.

By the way let's not get too excited about the Ouya..... it's all hype right now. I'm just saying if there was an Ouya for real...

.Luke
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 06:56:31 PM »

If you're referring to me, I did get a bit carried away with the praise for Ouya there. :# I didn't realize soon enough that this was a topic for discussing what OA3 would be like on the system, not about both topics, ouch. It's easy for me to forget these things don't always get off the ground quickly anyway, like the Pandora.

|
Wiiyamoto
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2012, 07:40:36 PM »

I think this would be an exciting platform to port OA to. The company ENCOURAGES open source and FREE gaming! Would be interesting to see how the servers and such work. Afro

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Wiiyamoto
Nub

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 02:03:03 AM »

By the way let's not get too excited about the Ouya..... it's all hype right now. I'm just saying if there was an Ouya for real...

It is real and they are launching it to people who pre-ordered one in March 2013, and to the normal consumers April 2013. Cheesy

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
PopeJo
Lesser Nub

Cakes 12

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 05:30:20 AM »

heard something similar in #xubuntu-offtopic lately:

Code:
[2012-09-04 11:40:30] <baizon> now i know why valve is supporting ubuntu
[2012-09-04 11:40:33] <baizon> and linux
[2012-09-04 11:42:56] <Unit193> Oh?
[2012-09-04 11:43:23] <baizon> they want to make a own console based on linux
[2012-09-04 11:43:38] <baizon> something like OUYA
[2012-09-04 11:44:07] <baizon> or a competitor

I really like the idea, but as I never owned any consoles and am still not interested in them, I can't judge the market at all ...

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 07:54:32 PM »

It's out and it's apparently terrible for its controller.

I've also witnessed a forum spambot in the wild trying to promote the Ouya, with bad english...   Guess they have their marketing department outsourced, which will only lead to even more bad press about the Ouya for evident astroturfing.

doubleedgedchaos
THIS ONE POST HERE SHOULD DO IT.

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 10:05:35 PM »

but I like the Ouya Sad
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2013, 10:48:42 AM »

Well, if you are interested, two people here are working on the Ouya OpenArena port.
It has not been accepted in Ouya store yet (user interface too much PC based), but they are working on the issue, and i can guess they will be able to publish it in reasonable time.

Apposite thread: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4822.0

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Ingesecition
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 05:58:18 AM »

so how much is this new ouya going to cost in the UK guys?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: