Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena & Lags  (Read 53119 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2014, 01:54:21 AM »

using www.google.com -t
minimum 17 maximum 330 average 49
Unless you were also using something bandwidth consuming (e.g. file sharing, software updates, streaming video...), that's not normal. Ping value should be more constant.
If you can, repeat the test using a network cable instead of wifi, to exclude some wifi problem.... and test also some other sites (note: some sites to not reply to ping requests at all, that's normal). You may then report to your ISP that you experience these big changes in ping values.

Another question: did the TTL value change between lines, or not?
Example: if I ping www.google.com, my ping is almost the same at each try (it only changes by 2ms at the moment), and TTL value is always 55.
If I ping www.yahoo.it, my ping is less constant (there is a change of 21ms), but I see that this is related due to half packets do have TTL=50 and have a certain ping (47), and the other half packes do have TTL=52 and have another ping (68).
So I can guess packets to www.yahoo.it do use different ways (probably some load balancing technique) to reach their destination.
Pinging www.yahoo.com, instead, always gives me TTL 50 and the ping varies by about 3ms (although I experience a few missing packets).

I don't remember exactly, but TTL is related to the number of "hops" packes may pass through to reach their destination.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 01:58:45 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »

I don't think I had any programs running at the time of the test. I usually end the process of many tasks often. The TTL results were all consistent. I don't remember the number, but I do know TTL and Bytes were consistent. I will try the test again using "www.google.com -t" and "www.yahoo.com -t"

I'm using a wired connection most of the time. During the test I was using a wired connection as well. Even during OpenArena games, I use a wired connection.

using www.google.com -t

bytes=32
time=29ms
time=27ms
time=33ms
time=26ms
time=30ms
time=29ms
time=24ms
time=25ms
time=30ms
time=47ms
time=41ms
time=52ms
time=27ms
time=24ms
time=60ms
time=25ms
time=27ms
time=25ms
time=26ms
time=31ms
time=26ms
time=54ms
time=27ms
time=74ms
time=42ms
time=24ms
time=57ms
time=42ms
time=25ms
time=28ms
time=26ms
time=97ms
TTL=42

Packets; Sent 50, Received = 50, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip time in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 24s, Maximum = 97ms, Average = 32ms

( Didn't add all of the time= results)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2014, 08:52:44 AM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2014, 09:31:45 AM »

Those ping values are too much varying, and too often, IMHO. I suggest to test a few other sites and then report the problem to your ISP.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 03:15:27 PM »

While you're happily pinging servers, may I suggest something along the lines of WinMTR? Just leave it running for some time. It'll also allow you to check where jitter or packetloss occur, i.e. within your local, your ISP's or the target network.

This space is for rent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2014, 04:13:11 AM »

While you're happily pinging servers, may I suggest something along the lines of WinMTR? Just leave it running for some time. It'll also allow you to check where jitter or packetloss occur, i.e. within your local, your ISP's or the target network.
Interesting tool, thank you!  Smiley

http://winmtr.net/
http://winmtr.net/how-to/

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2014, 10:17:55 AM »

I told one of my friends about my problems. And he got on teamviewer with me and did a few tests. What it turns out is that I had udp packets being sent from my network to a foreign server. We checked this using a program called "WireShark". and I connected to OpenArena while it was running. Turns out that I was indeed right. He worked with me for the past two days, and suggested I do a malware scan. As of course I did as he said, I HAD 9 INFECTED FILES!! AMAZING. But it is very strange to me, because I dont visit sites with these problems. After the program told me i had the malware I removes them quickly. And went to OpenArena and noticed a large change in my ping and lagometer. Later on yesterday I noticed that I started having the problems again. So I did another scan on my computer, what came back schocked me! I had 2 infected files, and I DIDNT EVEN OPEN MY BROWSER. So of course again I removed them!

Today I have disconnected that computer from my network. I currently am scanning my laptop on the same network. Right now it says it has 63 infected files on a quick scan!! Now this computer is not mine completely, and It is quite possible that the people using the computer dont know what (bleeping) sites to avoid.

Is it possible these infected files are being shared with my computer? If not i am totally scared and dont know what to do on my situtation. Could it be a possible attack from somewhere?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2014, 10:55:53 AM »

Different Malware kinds do have various ways to get into your machine, such as infected emails, infected websites and local network spreading using windows shares (or vulnerabilities from other programs), infected USB sticks, etc. Not only "adult sites", if you ask.
So, the best thing would be if you would be able to clean up all of your PCs with only one of them connected to the net at a certain time, until all of them are really cleaned up (to be sure they will not infect each other in a loop).

Some hints when trying to get rid of malware:
- Be sure your antivirus is up-to-date on all of your machines, and do a complete scan
- Update microsoft "malware removal tool", and then perform a complete scan also from it ("mrt" command for manual launching).
- Process explorer tool can help you identifying and terminating strange processes. (http://www.sysinternals.com)
- TCP View tool may help you noticing programs with strange network connections. (http://www.sysinternals.com)
- MSCONFIG and/or REGEDIT tools (use with caution, only if you know what you're doing, especially regedit) may allow you to manually disable the option which makes the malware to start each time you log in into Windows, if you know what to do (you may have to terminate the malware process -from Task Manager or Process Explorer- before doing, otherwise the malware will re-create the option).
- Perform Windows update, Adobe Reader and Adobe Flash player updates, Java updates, other "famous" programs updates.
- Clear windows and browsers' cache/temporary files/temporary internet files (c:\users\user\appdata\local\temp is one of those folders, but there are more).

At the end reboot, reconnect all machines to the network, and perform another virus scan.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 11:51:37 AM by Gig » Logged

BlankBruno
Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2014, 09:40:35 AM »

To add to what Gig is saying re: cleaning up your computer, I would suggest also starting the computer in safe mode with networking and installing both Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware, updating each, and then perform a thorough scan with each, one at a time, all while in safe mode. After each scan completes, remove all threats found.

Unfortunately no single security tool is 100% effective, so using a group of tools that complement each other is the safest, IMO. Malwarebytes (MBam) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS) both are good at finding things that many AV products don't detect or are merely annonyances, but can still impact network/system performance.

I would also suggest that if any of the security apps finds something listed as a rootkit, that you will need to run additional scans with specialized apps to have a better chance of properly cleaning your systems.

Hope this helps, and good luck.   Smiley
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2014, 08:13:42 PM »

Thanks Bruno, I will certainly use the programs that you suggested. I'm downloading them now, and will most likely get on it tomorrow. I've had my ISP come for the past few days, striking out each time in what they call a traffic issue in my area. So far I've used Malwarebytes, spyHunter, and Avast, fully scanning the system. Ever since I've removed the 1st 2 sets of malware, I haven't seen anymore on the program. Avast showed I had nothing as well, I wouldn't think it's a good idea to install another anti virus along with Avast Cheesy. So next thing I'll be doing is the SuperAntiSpyWare, that I'm downloading from FileHippo.com

http://filehippo.com/download_superantispyware/download/cbdda36e11bc99829cf5784982d4f98e/
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2014, 02:09:50 AM »

You can download and use "Microsoft Malicous Software Removal Tool", which is not a realtime scanner, so it should not conflict with your existing anvitvirus (you may however temporarily disable your Avast realtime scanner during the MRT scan, to speed up the scan a little). You can then launch it manually with the "mrt" command.

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2014, 12:08:43 PM »

Ok here's a update. I've been in my classes lately, focusing on school. But now I'm used to my schedule, so I know my free time. Alright I've been speaking to the people from my ISP for the past few weeks. From what they are telling me is that there is a 'noise' thats in the area that is disrupting the entire neighborhood. I've been checking with them and seeing if they are still trying to fix the 'noise'. It's been a week since they declared what the problem is. I'm still having very small lags now and then, and its more or less still there and noticeable. I did clear up the Malware that was infecting the computers on my network. Now all I need to do is check with my ISP everyday, this is obviously the kind of thing I should keep on pressuring them about fixing... So if you guys have any kind of information you could give me, I am back on the forum checking.

Also I what I am paying for is 15/5 or 15 download, and 5 upload. Theres a promotion running where it's 4.95$ to 'more than triple' my download and upload speeds, which would bring the speeds to 50/25. They kept telling me to upgrade to that and it would improve my lag. I didn't think that was the answer to the problem, and obviously it would make my problem even worse. Anyways, lets wait and see what comes up in the next week or so.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2014, 02:04:27 AM »

They kept telling me to upgrade to that and it would improve my lag. I didn't think that was the answer to the problem, and obviously it would make my problem even worse.
I have not completely anderstood this. Could you please try to explain again?
For which reason a faster line would make the problem even worse? I can understand propabably it's not the solution, but I don't understand what it should make things worse.

*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2014, 08:01:59 AM »

Well it's been about 1 week now, and I believe that the problem I have been having is finally fixed. My connection SO FAR looks better than ever, and I'm experiencing quite a good service once again. I'm going to give it about 1 week or 2, before I do an upgrade on my service. What was described to me by the supervisor of the area of my ISP, was that it indeed was a node issue that needed to be split. I want to thank all of you guys (Gig & Bruno) for helping me out. I still am going to be running many check ups on the computers on my network, and keep things much safer than the normal.

Let's leave this topic opened, just so others who can be experiencing issues with their services can see what they probably can do to get it fixed! I believe this day and age the basic Internet being offered from ISPs are good enough to play games without a lag. Do not settle for just an upgrade of service to fix all of your problems. The best thing to do is try and find the best ISP for you, and have them do maintenance when you feel something is wrong. I feel quite happy with myself for not giving in to the simple *Pay more, ignore the real problem*

Again I am using a 15/5 download/upload. The upgrade will be 50/25 download/upload. It's definitely a good price of 4.95$ to more than triple the speeds. Not to mention all the other feature that come along with the upgrade. I think this is a great situation to be in.  Grin
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 11:15:51 AM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: