Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Suicizer  (Read 143930 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2013, 01:48:05 AM »

Quickly tried this new version.
Nice, although I miss a little the cool lights shortcut...  Smiley

In the screenshot attached, you can see a passage where the area to step should maybe be a bit larger?

I'm not 100% sure about current Railgun placement: I mean, there is only one way to reach it, hence this may encourage railcamping. On the other hand, it's placed in a sort of hole, so what you can actually do from that place is limited (if you are exactly where RG spawns and someone is trying to reach your position, you have to rail-kill him at the first shot in the short time you see him when he's pushed by the jump-pad... a moment later, you cannot shoot at him anymore, but if he knows you are there, he may hit you with grenades or splash damage from rockets -you may have to escape with the accelerator pad, or to go upstairs and face him directly-). I don't know, maybe it's right as it is....
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 06:53:01 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »

Nice job, the layout feels just like I intended. The general flow feels wonderful now.

There still is 1 small thing which could be improved; the platform of the teleport could be raised up a little bit so the SG which spawns on the stairs appears on horizontal ground instead.

Now the next phase; detail the geometry. Try to make curves more round (like the upper curve at the highest platform) and add more curves, like inside the jumppads (as you actually did at the very first version =P).  Because it currently still looks like it's a Q2 layout instead of a Q3.

P.S.
I know you've got to redo geometry A LOT, but keep it up! In the end, it's all worth it.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 07:42:14 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2013, 09:04:14 AM »

There still is 1 small thing which could be improved; the platform of the teleport could be raised up a little bit so the SG which spawns on the stairs appears on horizontal ground instead.

What do you mean ?  Huh The Shotgun actually spawn on the horizontal ground...

Now the next phase; detail the geometry. Try to make curves more round (like the upper curve at the highest platform) and add more curves, like inside the jumppads (as you actually did at the very first version =P).

You mean with brushes, not "patch mesh" or "bevel", right ?

However i'm working on it  Grin

Wink
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:45:02 AM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2013, 02:25:21 PM »

What do you mean ?  Huh The Shotgun actually spawn on the horizontal ground...

Now the next phase; detail the geometry. Try to make curves more round (like the upper curve at the highest platform) and add more curves, like inside the jumppads (as you actually did at the very first version =P).

You mean with brushes, not "patch mesh" or "bevel", right ?

However i'm working on it  Grin

Wink
Well, it could be less deep into the ground by replacing a few stairs for just horizontal floor at the teleport and SG.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2013, 01:02:18 PM »

Update !

After some textures experiment, i've decided to apply this set OA original.

I know i have to work on the lights, but i want to let you see.
The geometry now i guess is ok.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2013, 01:03:27 AM »

Not bad. Maybe somewhere using bevels may have given a better look, but I can guess it's ok also this way. Maybe for jump-pads you may use the current OA logo, instead of the old one, and apply some kind of animation.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2013, 06:52:43 AM »

It looks pretty good, but the geometry still needs more detail (curves with some more vertices). Also adding (dark or bright textured) trims on edges makes it way more finished.
You know the original campgrounds? That's a good example of using trimmings and brushes (except for the platform with the RG spawning on, as it isn't containing any trimmings while it should).
« Last Edit: September 16, 2013, 12:39:40 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2013, 12:44:24 PM »

Update !

Here is another BETA version, very near at the final release i think.  Grin

1) Added some lights.
2) Added some geometry.
3) Added many curved bruches as i can.
4) reinserted the old jumppad.
5) Added the OA logo in a kind of amatorial detail, hope you like it Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:13 AM »

Nice. With curves, it looks better.

Can I suggest you to use a jumppad shader from those you find in "sfx2" folder (e.g. the blue one)? PS: Maybe you may also apply it to one of your OACMP maps...

In the screenshot attached, you can see a small texture misaligment. However, I don't know if it will be possible to fix that, considering it's a cap, right?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:30:10 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2013, 12:52:32 AM »

According to the screenshots, the map certainly looks better. But don't get hasty! You only did about half of the global details so far. The other half is like adding rocks (also called mountains) to make it feel more natural (even in an abstract spacish theme this often works, with exception of a theme used in a map like pul1ctf).

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2013, 08:51:07 AM »

According to the screenshots, the map certainly looks better. But don't get hasty! You only did about half of the global details so far. The other half is like adding rocks (also called mountains) to make it feel more natural (even in an abstract spacish theme this often works, with exception of a theme used in a map like pul1ctf).

What ?? Which rocks ? I dont have any sketch of rocks..... can you give something to follow to me ?

@Gig: It's not a misalignment, it's a light bug, you can see it also at the granade ammunition and also in the other room near the slime pillar. It's a bug from the curved brushes..... Sad ....

Wink
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 12:25:53 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2013, 10:27:03 AM »

Ehm, some news ?

Any suggestion about rocks (mountain) will be apreciated  Tongue .

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2013, 12:56:15 PM »

Ehm, some news ?

Any suggestion about rocks (mountain) will be apreciated  Tongue .

Wink

I'm sorry to disappoint you right now, as I have no time to make screenshots and show where mountains/rocks could be and how they could look like (which I guess takes about 2 - 3 hours doing so right).
Why I have no time? As I'm currently busy finishing a (mapping) event which I organize and participate on Cube Engine 2 (event: http://quadropolis.us/events/spmc2013, participants: http://quadropolis.us/events/spmc2013/list). I'll try to make time next week.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2013, 01:02:17 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2013, 01:39:28 PM »

Ehm, some news ?

Wink

I'm sorry to disappoint you right now, as I have no time to make screenshots and show where mountains/rocks could be and how they could look like (which I guess takes about 2 - 3 hours doing so right).
Why I have no time? As I'm currently busy finishing a (mapping) event which I organize and participate on Cube Engine 2 (event: http://quadropolis.us/events/spmc2013, participants: http://quadropolis.us/events/spmc2013/list). I'll try to make time next week.

No problem, take your time. We don't have a time limit  Tongue

Just a question: When this map is finished, can i put it into the OACMP (community mappack) ?
I think it's a good map and pretty frenetic, lot of users will have fun with it.

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »

Ehm, some news ?

Wink

No problem, take your time. We don't have a time limit  Tongue

Just a question: When this map is finished, can i put it into the OACMP (community mappack) ?
I think it's a good map and pretty frenetic, lot of users will have fun with it.

Wink

Yes you can, as long as it won't hold the name of OA_Suicizer, as I'm not the author; I only contributed the look of the layout so far =P.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2013, 03:41:22 PM »

Yes you can, as long as it won't hold the name of OA_Suicizer, as I'm not the author; I only contributed the look of the layout so far =P.

But it's dedicated to you  Tongue Grin

However if you want the name changed it's ok for me.

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2013, 03:04:54 PM »

Well, as I said I would post ideas of where (and how) to create hills/mountains;
Think about the next couple of screenshot. Ignore the theme, just look at the shape of the geometry.

As you can see in the screenshots (like that of Somewhat Damaged), mountains aren't parallel shaped towards the wall which they are connected to (neither being perpendicular towards a floor or so).
Because OA_Suicizer has 2 big curves within the map, 1 probably could be made out of rock while the other could be a wall instead. I hope the screenshots of my very own map Evilness (the gothic themed map) explained this a bit.
The rest of the walls shouldn't be left blank on top! This proves to be very convincing as the screenshot of Ot (the egyptic themed map) shows so. I know my own map contradicts this statement, but it really do looks better then more rocks are appearing into a scene.

(Nearly) every map needs some rocks actually, even space maps do (asteroids could be counted as rocks as well, as long as they look natural).
« Last Edit: October 16, 2013, 03:39:50 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »

Good idea !  Grin

What do you mean for
The rest of the walls shouldn't be left blank on top!

Do you mean i have to place a roof on the rest of the map or only a piece ?

.......i'll do something.....

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2013, 11:37:50 AM »

Good idea !  Grin

What do you mean for
The rest of the walls shouldn't be left blank on top!

Do you mean i have to place a roof on the rest of the map or only a piece ?

.......i'll do something.....

Wink

No I mean it's not bad to add rocks on top of walls also (like in the screenshot of the egyptical themed map).

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2013, 02:22:06 PM »

In theese days i'm quite busy, but i got it and i will try to something about.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2013, 03:49:33 PM »

Update !

Here is the new version with mountains aroud teh border of the map.
Also added more geometry to make the map be more cool  Grin
Now the map have a music sound that was missing.

I hope you (all) like this version, i think it's very near to the final version.
But i'm waiting Suicizer.

Wink

P.S.: There is a couple of bug, but they are very little....  Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2013, 04:35:55 AM »

What a different look, now! Not bad! (Well, I liked previous version, too!).

Just an idea: what about placing some glass in front of the slime? It's unclear how the slime can stay vertically without falling out...
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 06:11:09 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2013, 01:29:06 PM »

I've got to admit, nice rocky geometry!
Although there are already certain details (like those lamps, nice job), the map is still lacking a lot of it. There isn't a specific theme so far as well (which would be useful for adding more details).

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2013, 01:38:14 PM »

I've got to admit, nice rocky geometry!
Although there are already certain details (like those lamps, nice job), the map is still lacking a lot of it. There isn't a specific theme so far as well (which would be useful for adding more details).

Thanks, so i have to add more details ? Are you thinking at something  specific ?

@Gig: Thank you too, i'll add the glass  Tongue Cheesy

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #49 on: December 14, 2013, 01:10:51 PM »

Since the map is now a reality, this topic could be moved to the Maps section.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: