Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_Suicizer  (Read 144613 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #50 on: December 14, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »

Took a quick run. So far, no issues. The map plays very well. More than OACMP, I would consider it for OA3.

In competitive gaming, connectivity is very important. These two areas, so far, have two and a half roads between each other. There's also a dead end in one of the areas, the destination of the teleporter. What about turning it into a two-way teleporter?

Visually, the map could be improved by adding trims to the edges and some lighting in order to make the map not to look so washed.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #51 on: December 15, 2013, 05:14:06 AM »

Neon_Knight you're right, i'm waiting Suicizer to add changes to this map.
I mean, now i've no idea how to improve details and other stuff......creativity block....sorry...
.....yes i'm working to other projects, but it's another question... Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #52 on: December 15, 2013, 05:26:08 AM »

I don't see many things which can be improved here. The map plays very fine as it is.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #53 on: December 15, 2013, 06:02:54 AM »

I don't see many things which can be improved here. The map plays very fine as it is.

I mean graphic details to make this arena "look more good"  Grin

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #54 on: December 15, 2013, 06:58:58 AM »

Wink

Pick a theme first.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #55 on: December 15, 2013, 07:15:24 AM »

Wink

Pick a theme first.

The one in use is not good ?? Give me some options as you think will be better for an arena like this.
The oa_akomdm5's theme i think it's good, with some other rocky work Tongue

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2013, 07:54:20 AM »

Perhaps you could use the same textures as oa_shine (or slimefac, but I would rather try oa_shine first), but add some rocks as well (which that map lacks, but also doesn't really needs).
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 07:57:25 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2013, 08:02:48 AM »

I'm not sure such a "futuristic" design would fit with rocks.
Perhaps something like oa_rpg3dm1 may fit better?

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »

I'm not sure such a "futuristic" design would fit with rocks.
Perhaps something like oa_rpg3dm1 may fit better?

That's one of an ugly floor texture if you ask me.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2013, 11:06:44 AM »

Perhaps you could use the same textures as oa_shine (or slimefac, but I would rather try oa_shine first), but add some rocks as well (which that map lacks, but also doesn't really needs).

I'll do something  Grin

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2014, 04:26:17 PM »

Hi to all  Cheesy

Finally i've edited this map, but i've noticed that it have the "oa_shine" textures.
By the way, i've modifyed something and duplicated the teleporter, now it's a two-way teleporter.

Just a couple of screenshots:

Know Bugs:

- Maybe some lights can be fixed.
- Maybe the theme can be boring for someone, but i really don't know what to change.

In the attachment you can grab the latest version.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »

D/Ling.

Also, this should be moved to the Maps subforum.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2014, 10:01:06 PM »

Gave it a quick run.

My only minor quibble is the lighting. In competitive gaming, visibility is a must. Those dark walls don't cut it. Perhaps adding some kind of illumination to them may work? Those lights around the map should give a bigger light. Add light entities with high values close to those lights so to show that they also illuminate. A good idea may be target lights.

Here's a modification (only the .map file) I've done to your map. It has target lights. At each light source there are two light entities, one of value 100 and another to value 200. Each light of value 200 is connected to an info_notnull. I'll let you compile and test the results. As a bonus, there were some improvements at most corners and rounded areas. I've added patches on top of caulked brushes. This is the only case where overlapping brushes is good, as caulk isn't drawn in-game, and the engine doesn't need to render non-seen texturized faces.

The rest is unchanged. From what I see, the map is already GPLv2-compliant, so I highly suggest you to send it to the SVN Commits thread, so it can be included in future official OA versions. =)

I should also suggest the admin to move this thread to the OA3 forum. This map deserves it IMHO.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2014, 02:05:30 AM »

Hi, thanks Neon_Knight.

I've downloaded and compiled your version.
Here are some screenshots:

I'm waiting for Suicizer words about the changes  Tongue Grin

Things to do:

- New Skybox (the actual is the same of my ctf4.  Tongue
- Improve lights brightness.
- Improve lights in general.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2014, 05:38:29 AM »

Can't test today.

Why svn commit? Wasn't this map supposed for OACMP Volume 2? If it goes to OA3, instead, there will be to wait for years.

Maybe one may put this version in OACMP Volume 2 and then create a remixed/improved version of it for OA3, if Suicizer or someone else will provide feedback after actually playing the map online with other "pro" players? Just an idea...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2014, 06:51:07 AM »

Can't test today.

Why svn commit? Wasn't this map supposed for OACMP Volume 2? If it goes to OA3, instead, there will be to wait for years.

Maybe one may put this version in OACMP Volume 2 and then create a remixed/improved version of it for OA3, if Suicizer or someone else will provide feedback after actually playing the map online with other "pro" players? Just an idea...

Personally I rather see the map in an official release than in some pack full of maps which is wandering around on some servers for a small period of time, but Akom74 actually decides Wink.
I'll look into the map soon, as far as I can see the edges could use some trimmings.

Some compiled version would be great =P (can't view it anyway).

Edit: Can't see Neon_Night's version as that one isn't compiled. However, I can see Akom74's so let's check out that one;

- The trimmings around the pillar in the room of the LG and RL look splendid. The pillar itself still looks quite bad due the weird green goo which intersects pretty rude with the other faces of the pillar.
- The mountains look good enough, not much to say about that.
- The map still needs some trimmings around the edges. See the screenshot for more info. I just marked it red so you can see it clear; it's not intended to be that colour ingame as well =P.
- The teleports carry the same texture as the floor (looks pretty odd).
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:06:55 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »

Here's my version of your map with the trimming Suicizer was talking about. Only the first room (the one in Suicizer's screenshot) was trimmed. I'll leave to you the rest. Tongue

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2014, 02:48:02 PM »

UPDATE !! (Thanks Neon_Knight  Grin )

Updates:

- Solved a couple of leacks
- Added some lights
- Modifyed some minor things
- Trimmered the other room

Know Bugs:

- I have to fix the errors created by a bad polygons.
- Trimms are maybe too big ??

Wink
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 04:30:13 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »

Perhaps they're big. But I don't think it¡s that big of a problem.

Anyway, to the bugs.
This is the one you said. I suggest to ditch the brushes and use patch meshes with botclips instead.

Also, reaching these places is easy with a well-placed landing after the jumppad and/or rocket jumps. Is this on purpose? Because in that case the upper floor might be a very good area.

The lower walls might also need a bit more of light.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2014, 02:01:35 AM »

Just a very, very small note:
I thought you would have added some "glass" there, to prevent the slime to fall out...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #70 on: February 10, 2014, 01:38:13 PM »

News !!  Grin

I've fixed some things, some bugs and some lights.

Here some screenshots:

Updates:

- Added the glass on the slime (as Gig suggested)  Tongue
- Added some more trims.
- Fixed a bug in the corner that make you able to pass trough.
- Added more lights in the lower level (as Neon_Knight suggested).
- Closed by Full_Clip the curve that now can't be walkable anymore (noticed by Neon_Knight).
- Various minor things as txtures and brushes misaligned.

In the attachment you can grab the latest version.
(Waiting for Suicizer opinion, i think this map it's almost done)

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2014, 03:05:00 PM »

- Closed by Full_Clip the curve that now can't be walkable anymore (noticed by Neon_Knight).
Curiosity: what's "full_clip" exactly? I read somewhere this name, before, but I don't know exactly.
I know weapclip (weapon clip), botclip (bot clip) and clip (player clip).. but full_clip? Is it just an alternate name for "weapclip" or something different? Weapclip already blocks bots, humans and shots... what more may be blocked?
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:30:32 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #72 on: February 10, 2014, 03:07:58 PM »

It's the info_player_start equivalent to common/weapclip's info_player_deathmatch, if the analogy is understandable...

Next you're gonna say "Excuse me, I don't understand". Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #73 on: February 10, 2014, 03:27:24 PM »

It's the info_player_start equivalent to common/weapclip's info_player_deathmatch, if the analogy is understandable...

Next you're gonna say "Excuse me, I don't understand". Tongue
Do you mean "same effect, but usage deprecated/not recommended"?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #74 on: February 10, 2014, 03:30:02 PM »

Curiosity: what's "full_clip" exactly? I read somewhere this name, before, but I don't know exactly.
I know weapclip (weapon clip), botclip (bot clip) and clip (player clip).. but full_clip? Is it just an alternate name for "weapclip" or something different? Weapclip already blocks bots, humans and bots... what more may be blocked?

The Full_Clip it's used to block the spectator to don't go upper than certain blocks.
Normally i use it for the ceiling of my maps, see it in radiant and you will understand better.

The Full_CLip block bots and players but not the projectiles.

Anyone tryed the last version ? Comments ?

Wink

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: