Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Compile OpenArena  (Read 9184 times)
check
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: September 06, 2013, 05:50:54 AM »

Hi guys,

I'm trying to compile OpenArena from scratch, I'd like to use Visual Studio as IDE.
Any other IDE should work for me. I've tried many tutorials and still have issues with dependencies. Any suggestion?

Thanks!
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2013, 11:22:40 AM »

There are VisualStudio project files in misc/msvc/, but I'm not sure whether the OA devs kept them in sync with the code/Makefile.

What are you trying to achieve? Do you want to use VS to build native Windows 32/64 bit binaries of the engine (openarena.exe), of the game modules (qagamex86.dll) or just a plain old mod (qagame.qvm)?
What's the dependency issue you've run into, does the game compile but fail during linking?

This space is for rent.
check
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 01:27:53 AM »

Hi *grey matter!

Thanks for the answer, I'm trying to compile OA including a new engine with cool effects, similar to OpenAL. I used the VS project that you said, it compiles but doesn't work. If you can give me any other way to compile and work with it, I can use any other IDE on any OS.

Thanks in advance!
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 11:55:04 AM »

Would you also be fine with compiling the engine using a command prompt or do you absolutely want to use an IDE?

Could you post the exact error you get when trying to run your compiled engine?

This space is for rent.
check
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:21:18 AM »

Hi,

I compile each project:

- game
- cgame
- q3_ui
- quake3

After compiling, I take the generated .exe and paste it in root game directory. I do the same with dlls to the missionpack directory as I read in a tutorial. After that, I run the game, I can see the logo screen and crashes with this message:

VM_Free(ui) on running vm

Hope it helps...
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 09:34:16 AM »

Hm, that error message has multiple possible causes and is rather difficult to diagnose.

Do you just copy the dll files into missionpack/, or do you also set some configuration values when you start the game? If you do not config, the dlls won't be used at all. Depending on what you want to achieve, you won't need them anyways.
Do you have a regular installation of OpenArena v0.8.8 which is running fine?

Could you post or link to the changes you applied to the engine? This way, someone else might be able to test whether it works in his setup.

The build system I'm most familiar with would be a Linux distribution (e.g. Ubuntu or Debian) and plain old make from a terminal.

This space is for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: