Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Graphics of OpenArena 0.8.8  (Read 25193 times)
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: October 28, 2013, 07:11:48 AM »

There has been a time that i was one of the many who keep the default graphics, until I noticed a performance boost when lowering them. I usually run around with "r_picmip "4", as it fits my needs.

But, little did I know that the last OpenArena release doesn't allow me to use the value "4". It's a bit strange to me because, It works fine in 0.8.1, I have not tried it on 0.8.5, so I don't know how it works there. Is there something I am doing wrong on my end? For the debate of 0.8.1 being used much more than 0.8.alien Little things like this can play a part in why people prefer an older version.

Please someone hop on this topic, and tell me whats wrong.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 08:39:48 AM »

Since 0.8.5, r_picmip maximum value can be limited by "videoflags".
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Videoflags
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Texture_quality_and_detail

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 09:26:38 AM »

videoflags comes with 7 as the default value. You might want to turn it to 0.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 12:26:49 PM »

Ok, I see now, Thanks alot for the fix guys! I see this "videoflags" in many cfgs but I never knew what it actually was for. Is there some list explaining command console for all the settings and commands for OpenArena. I use many of the ones from Quake3, and sometimes QuakeLive.

Also, is their any difference using videoflags with numbers like, 1,2,3,4 etc?

I see setting it to 7 limits r_picmip to 3 as you tell me. I did read on the wikia under "1 - Basic lock (a.k.a. FOV lock)" does this work with videoflags? I know this is under dmflags, but can someone explain to me the difference as well?

Thanks guys, was helpful and probably will help many who wondered the same.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 12:35:40 PM »

This was explained by Sago when this was implemented in OAX, prior to 0.8.5:

The game now forces vertex off by default. The system is inspired by the tournament mode suggested earlier. fairflags currently has 3 flags:
1 - basic lock - limits fov and zoomfov to 140
2 - extended lock - limits r_picmip, r_intensity, r_overbrightbits, r_gamma, etc. to sane values.
4 - vertex lock - disables vertex light on all clients.

cg_autovertex will automatically enable vertex if the lock is disengaged. For other cvars you will need a script to reset them.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 12:54:35 PM »

Sorry if I didn't understand what was written the first time. Again it's very helpful now.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:09:53 PM »

higher picmip won't improve speed.  There's better cvars for that:

r_detailTextures - OA makes use of 'detail' a LOT. This cvar will matter.  
r_primitives - sometimes the engine picks an unoptimal method for drawing triangles when set at 0. See if manually setting to 1 or 2 helps. 3 is the slowest safe fallback method, which no one should be using.
r_flares - The flare testing is a depth read from the sampled screen pixels. This is extremely expensive on modern hardware, so you could set this at 0 for a HUGE performance boost.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2013, 01:06:42 AM »

I see setting it to 7 limits r_picmip to 3 as you tell me. I did read on the wikia under "1 - Basic lock (a.k.a. FOV lock)" does this work with videoflags? I know this is under dmflags, but can someone explain to me the difference as well?
For the difference between dmflags and videoflags FOV options just read their sections:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Dmflags
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Videoflags
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Field_of_view
"Fixed FOV" (dmflags 16) means that all users on the server will be forced to a FOV of 90. No more, no less (except while zooming, of course).
"Basic lock - FOV lock" (videoflags 1) means that users are allowed to change their FOV, but only up to 140 instead of 160.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »

Another option that may slow down a lot is Bloom. If you are searching for performances, turn it off.

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Graphic_options#Bloom
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Tweak

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2013, 06:28:00 AM »

Fixed FOV seriously changes your aiming and actually gives people which play always on FOV 90 a severe advantage towards other players using a different FOV.
To any server owner; Do not use this crude command!

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
*Ruthless*
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2013, 07:55:36 AM »

I do highly appreciate the help recieved by fromhell, gig, and Neon_knight. I agree with Suicizer, that command shouldn't be used by server owners at all. It does change your aim by ALOT, I use nearly all FOV's from 90 - 120 on the tenths, theres a big difference in movement, and aim. Can I ask why was there a value set for FOV to be at 90 nothing more, nothing less?
higher picmip won't improve speed.  There's better cvars for that:

r_detailTextures - OA makes use of 'detail' a LOT. This cvar will matter. 
r_primitives - sometimes the engine picks an unoptimal method for drawing triangles when set at 0. See if manually setting to 1 or 2 helps. 3 is the slowest safe fallback method, which no one should be using.
r_flares - The flare testing is a depth read from the sampled screen pixels. This is extremely expensive on modern hardware, so you could set this at 0 for a HUGE performance boost.

I will try these out definitely, I'm looking for some performance boost. Hopefully someone comes across a glossary for the command console.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 07:58:39 AM by *Ruthless* » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2013, 09:36:07 AM »

I do highly appreciate the help recieved by fromhell, gig, and Neon_knight. I agree with Suicizer, that command shouldn't be used by server owners at all. It does change your aim by ALOT, I use nearly all FOV's from 90 - 120 on the tenths, theres a big difference in movement, and aim. Can I ask why was there a value set for FOV to be at 90 nothing more, nothing less?
I can guess that ID Software added it just in case some admin wanted the game more fair for all users. FOV 90 is more good-looking for the more realistic perspective, so it's the default value. Setting an higher FOV gives you some degree of advantage against other people (due to more lateral view), so peopole keeping the default value (potentially enough, considering the option is not even listed in the Q3 menus) may be disadvantaged.... this small option forces the same view for everyone... having to choose one, it's quite probable the default value was the simpler choice for Id Software. However I have no idea about how many servers do use it.

Hopefully someone comes across a glossary for the command console.
Many commands and variables (CVARs) are the same than Q3A, although a few of them have more possible values. Of course there are various variables added by ioquake3 and some added by OA. I don't have a complete list of all of them, however, at the end of this page:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console
there are some links with tons of Q3 variables and commands.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2013, 12:20:00 PM by Gig » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: