Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New level editor: Jackhammer  (Read 32082 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: December 27, 2013, 09:18:23 PM »

Jackhammer is a brand new level editor for games with a quake-style BSP architecture. The aim is to develop a convenient cross-platform tool capable of incorporating the best features of existing editors, such as Valve Hammer Editor, Q3Radiant and others. Despite Quake and Half-Life having been released a long time ago, the large community have arisen around, still developing mods and games on their bases. However the existing editors suffer from fundamental disadvantages their users are well familiar with. Jackhammer does aspire to be the universal level design tool for classic games. But not only the classics! The editor shall become a key development tool for the Volatile3D II engine, that is why its second name is Volatile Development Kit.

Jackhammer is being developed since August 2013, that means the editor is very young. But the team of professional programmers and testers is ready to present the public alpha within four months. Despite not all the functions being implemented, not all the planned games being supported and only a small extent of the new ideas being realized, today you are able to download, install and evaluate Jackhammer in action. Please don't forget that alpha is the first, quite a raw version, and may contain some issues. We are interested in a vast testing of the editor and grateful in advance for your comments and suggestions! In addition, you can provide Jackhammer with financial support, donating funds for the further development.

This version supports Quake, Quake II and Half-life.

Web page
Features

DOWNLOAD - Win32 now, Linux in future.

Quoth FGD for Jackhammer

Screen #1 Screen #2 Screen #3

http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60986

The reason why I've placed it here instead of the Mapping subforum is that Q3A/OA support isn't yet implemented.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2013, 06:01:03 AM »

Should we try to contact its developers, to ask them to remember OA support?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 08:05:53 AM »

Jackhammer is donationware, that means a freely distributed software developed by the voluntary contributions of users
Seems like contacting its authors would be the simplest way to add OpenArena support, given that there is no sourcecode and no proper documentation (and no Linux/Mac alpha version either).

> Are there any plans for a source release?
Yes, GPL in future

This space is for rent.
Ingesecition
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 04:56:58 AM »

Finally someone made a better, newer and more functional editor! Mapping for new half-life mods, as much as for incoming mods (incoming Steam Version of Sven Coop for example) will be more pleasant. Like the multi-engines and linux support. Finally textures list for each mod configuration. Really nice entity placement and more accurate color schemes, plus render modes support makes mapping much clearer. That will speed up making levels with those new functions. Keep up the good work!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: