Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: The Edge of Forever  (Read 13744 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: November 29, 2013, 10:42:20 AM »

This is a single player experience ONLY and there are no plans for adding bots or multiplayer support to this map. The environment is designed with countless visual clues of what to do next and will require the player(YOU) to look up to find them! There is no time limit pressure and the level can be played at any pace.

The environmental detail comes with a price and that is extremely high poly counts in most areas of the map. The average poly count for the map is between 20k-30k and will require a modern day PC in order to reduce any FPS problems.

The main puzzles are made up of two state objects (on or off) which are linked together to create more interesting problems. All of the puzzles are setup with custom sounds and visual effects so that it should be easier to see and hear what is going on.

The solution for every puzzle is always linked to something that is blocking your path, this could be a door, a floor opening or a new route forward. Two of the puzzles are randomly setup each time you load or re-start the map, so if you play the map several times it should be a slightly different experience everytime.

This map is designed for Quake 3 Arena 1.32 and IOQuake 3 and does not require any special MOD in order to play correctly. I would highly recommend that you turn off various elements of the default HUD so that the playing experience is as immersive as possible and follow the loading instructions included in the readme.

It has three years of existence, but IMHO nothing came even close in terms of creativity and imagination about what can be done with vanilla Q3's assets.

I miss experimental maps like this.

So far, only the skull textures are missing, so they won't appear in OA.

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/5073/The-Edge-of-Forever

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2013, 03:17:52 PM »

0.0? Can't even find the "Not Open Arena" section at default.

Tried out the map in Original Quake 3 Arena; getting a memory error (even after trying to set "com_hunkmegs" to another value like 96).
Tried out the map in OA; somehow works without any problems (except I still have to rename the .bsp-file to "moteof_final2", or just the .pk3 to "moteof_final").
Anyway, was stuck after some message about "New Battery" =P.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2013, 03:22:56 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2013, 03:28:42 PM »

There are some guides, but you have to look elsewhere, below platforms, behind machinery, there are some secret switches which require a good eye to be seen, etc.
I might even record a video of the map one of these days.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
noChance79
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2013, 11:08:33 PM »

I knew this map before - and I love it. You are absolutely right in claming this as outstanding in terms of creativity.  Cheesy
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 02:49:04 PM »

Here's more information about the map by the man himself: http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/moteof.htm

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2017, 09:54:13 AM »

Just noticed that the sources have been released! Smiley

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/moteof_source.htm

I have plenty of learning to do with this map. And a place where to apply those learnings (the Tutorial map).

BEFORE YOU ASK, source is NOT GPL'd.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 09:56:56 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 04:13:29 PM »

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/sp/moteof_source.htm

Please note: The map files for The Edge of Forever are supplied as is and probably with the odd mistake or two buried in them. They are certainly not to be treated as an example of mapping standard / guide or some anal exercise in how to map correctly. Please bear this in mind when looking at the map source files

However I can guess the tutorial map isn't a standard map.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 06:23:43 PM »

Indeed it isn't. The current version at the OA3 forum is inspired in the Nexuiz tutorial. For online play, only the arena is playable, though the tutorial area includes the same weapon array as the arena.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: