Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: [MAP] OA_akomctf4  (Read 70112 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2013, 05:52:05 PM »

I suggest you to first take care of the layout in general. Once you have it nearly, you can focus on the bots.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2014, 12:41:26 PM »

Update !!

After a lot of work, i've fixed and changed something, now it's the Beta-Final Version.

Here is the Download Link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/og674t6sv6z6ptsruu95

Updates:

1) Added some borders to prevent Bots suicide.
2) Inserted the complete set of items, as in the original UT3 map, (maybe ...Tongue )
3) Inserted some "models" builded with brushes.
4) BOTs now work better.
5) Inserted OA logo maked of brushes.
6) Added the BFG "hided" room.

Knowed Issues:

1) BOTs capture the flag but don't go exactly in the right way but fall down of the tower.
2) Some light need to be fixed.
3) A couple of ammobox are inverted Tongue .

For now it's all.

Wink
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 03:11:35 PM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2014, 01:39:01 AM »

.....just chiming in to say how awesome that architecture looks

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2014, 11:18:23 AM »

Given a quick look. Nice.
I'd like to know if those colored tiles in first screenshot attached are meant as "arrows" towards the base of their color? If that's the case, either they are wrongly positioned or their colors are wrong (if we think about those three blue tiles as an arrow -with a bit of fantasy-, that arrow is poiting towards the red base).

Can I ask if you compiled the map with full vis and/or placed "hint" brushes? As you can see in the second screenshot, all the map is rendered also if I am in a place that may seem adapt for having only a part of it rendered.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2014, 12:30:03 PM »

@Fromhell: You are welcome Cheesy

@Gig:
Given a quick look. Nice.
I'd like to know if those colored tiles in first screenshot attached are meant as "arrows" towards the base of their color? If that's the case, either they are wrongly positioned or their colors are wrong (if we think about those three blue tiles as an arrow -with a bit of fantasy-, that arrow is poiting towards the red base).

As in the original map for UT3, the tiles are coloured as the base of propriety.
This mean: Blue tiles=Blue base   Grin

Quote from: Gig
Can I ask if you compiled the map with full vis and/or placed "hint" brushes? As you can see in the second screenshot, all the map is rendered also if I am in a place that may seem adapt for having only a part of it rendered.

Ehm, first of all i've watched at the geometry of the map, in second phase i'll try to compile it with NETradiant or Q3Map2 program. In this version the VIS process is not compiled.

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2014, 04:23:37 AM »

I'm ramanaging all the brushes to optimize VIS process.
I've created a new custom skybox and hope you like it.

Also created new custom textures just for this map.

The map take a long time to compile and i hope to give you all a new version soon.

NETradiant give me the 117 line error  Huh , but in Q3Radiant it compile well for now.

Wink
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:32:06 AM by Akom74 » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2014, 07:16:56 AM »

Can you upload the .map file here so I can take a look?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2014, 02:37:50 PM »

Can you upload the .map file here so I can take a look?

I've deleted the entire red section and rebuilding.
Work In Progress at this time:

Maybe tomorrow i can give you (all) a playable version, hoping there's no problem with VIS.

Wink

EDIT: I'm little busy this time, i hope to give you soon a playable version (with original .map)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 02:32:57 PM by Akom74 » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2014, 02:35:32 PM »

Hello to everyone  Grin

Here i am with the latest version of oa_akomctf4.

Here is the Download Link:
Code:
https://app.box.com/s/og674t6sv6z6ptsruu95

I have rebuilded the 90% of the map  Rest In PEACE!, but now it's optimized. Try with "r_showtris 1".
BOTs roam everywhere and the VIS process work well, as an opened map permit.

I hope you enjoy this version, and please tell me what do you think.

Updates:

- New textures by me, taken from OA Originals and modifyed.
- New Skybox.
- .map file inserted.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2014, 03:37:29 PM »

Yay! Going to check out after I finish with the OACMP.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2014, 02:35:58 AM »

Nice!  Smiley

- I'm not completely sure about the railgun spawn positioning. Isn't there some kind of "camping" risk? Maybe it's okay, because however the camper would have that teleporter on his back, so someone may suddenly attack him from behind... I'm not sure.
-- Also, are you sure about the positioning of the RG ammo box, behind the flag?
- How to get the BFG? Is there some teleporter I haven't found yet?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »

Nice!  Smiley

- I'm not completely sure about the railgun spawn positioning. Isn't there some kind of "camping" risk? Maybe it's okay, because however the camper would have that teleporter on his back, so someone may suddenly attack him from behind... I'm not sure.
-- Also, are you sure about the positioning of the RG ammo box, behind the flag?
- How to get the BFG? Is there some teleporter I haven't found yet?

Thanks !  Cheesy

The railgun position is to emulate the original UT3 map that have the sniper rifle, in Q3A and OA there's no sniper rifle and i have placed the raigun Tongue

Railgun ammobox is behind the flag because in my mind i've thinked that if someone want to snipe from the higher position (the flag spot) can have some ammo, but have to go behind and in the meantime someone else can surprise him from one of the lateral jumppad.

It's difficult to get the BFG, but not impossible. It's an overpowered weapon and have to be hard to take, no ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2014, 10:40:19 AM »

Decorative note: what about making those "signs" with OA logo slowly rotate? Just an idea...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2014, 11:06:22 AM »

The railgun position is to emulate the original UT3 map that have the sniper rifle, in Q3A and OA there's no sniper rifle and i have placed the raigun Tongue
Well, remember to not to allow easy sniping/defending, as otherwise the matches may become boring 1-0s or worse, 0-0s.

Railgun ammobox is behind the flag because in my mind i've thinked that if someone want to snipe from the higher position (the flag spot) can have some ammo, but have to go behind and in the meantime someone else can surprise him from one of the lateral jumppad.
This have to be tried online. I cannot give you any advanced advices.

It's difficult to get the BFG, but not impossible. It's an overpowered weapon and have to be hard to take, no ?
Indeed.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2014, 10:24:45 PM »

Tried it.

Indeed, VIS on this map is a huge challenge. Some areas can be controllable, though. But overall, once too many players start getting on this map, huge FPS slowdown is to be expected because of the shape of the map itself. There are things, though, which you can do to try and reduce the FPS slowdown.

For example, doors. Well-placed VIS-blocking doors with their respective areaportals may help to deal with the framerate slowdown.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2014, 12:43:23 AM »

For example, doors. Well-placed VIS-blocking doors with their respective areaportals may help to deal with the framerate slowdown.

As you know, doors cut VIS, but only when are closed, when they open FPS slowdown immediately.
By the way in the original map for UT3 there are not.

In the PK3 there is the original .map file that you can use to do a couple of tests, if you want  Tongue.

Wink

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2014, 03:38:23 PM »

Checked out the map; noticed the railgun is truly overpowered here. It's a piece of cake to shoot down your opponents while they try to use any of the jumppads (as they are perfectly in sight of aiming, nearly always end at the same place and even the haste powerup isn't protecting you when floating in the air). So add some better ways to the flag (which do have cover) or put the flag on a different position.
I would prefer the last, as you can even camp someone down right before the very last inch of his own flag.

Those blockings near both bridges should be places more towards the bases, as it's very tight between the railing of the bridge and the blockings.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 03:43:21 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2014, 03:47:08 PM »

Yeah, Suicizer reminded me that I forgot to tell Akom something:

Even if you're trying to respect the original UT3 custom map as much as you can, bear in mind that both OA and UT3 have highly different gameplay. Also they have a different way to render 3D stuff, the Unreal Engine uses a "zoneportal" model while the IdTech3 engine uses VIS.

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2014, 06:10:47 AM »

After I made some screenies, found out a couple of more stuff...

1st, quite clear...
2nd, about the distance between the railing and the blocking...
3th, I don't know exactly why and this happens on OA_suicizer as well (while it previously didn't). Somehow, an old Quake3 jumppad texture is being loaded Huh.
4th, you should higher that bar, as it's a perfect camping spot (you are nearly invisible for opponents of the other base while you still can camp anyone down).

It takes way too much effort to get the BFG, compared to all the powerups which are spawning on the map (you can grab those right on your way to the opponent's base while you have to invest some valuable time to get just 1 weapon with limited ammo). Moving the invulnerability to the room of BFG (and remove that one or place it somewhere else) would be way better.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 06:20:03 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2014, 07:11:29 AM »

Thank you Suicizer.

1) Whoops ! Sorry, i've never notice it, will be fixed.
2) I have to scale the block.
3) Are you sure you have a vanilla OA istallation without external or third part PK3s ? It's really strange thing, anyone else have the same problem ?  Huh
4) Yes, you're right, but it's a very riscky position, by the way i will fix it.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2014, 08:08:54 PM »

Here's the teleporter jumppad with a vanilla OA folder:

So yeah, Suicizer must be using a texture compatibility pack.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:34:40 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #46 on: February 10, 2014, 03:01:17 AM »

However, this cool map may be worth of cooler jumppads...  Smiley

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2014, 07:43:07 AM »

Here's the teleporter jumppad with a vanilla OA folder:

So yeah, Suicizer must be using a texture compatibility pack.

So... How to delete that old jumppad texture? Anyone knows how it is called =S?
Damn, I hate those overriding bastards...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2014, 07:54:09 AM »

So... How to delete that old jumppad texture? Anyone knows how it is called =S?
Opening the map in the editor, it seems Akom used "sfx/bounce_concrete" for jumppads. I found it in oasfx.shader (from OA 0.8.1): it looks like that invokes "textures/sfx/bounce_concrete.jpg" and "textures/clown/circ4glow.tga".
Maybe some of your third-party .pk3 files contains a "textures/sfx/bounce_concrete.jpg" file?

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2014, 03:35:46 AM »

Ok, map modifyed, anyone noticed something else ?

Wink

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: