Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Textures created from OA originals  (Read 17804 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« on: December 15, 2013, 12:57:38 PM »

Hi all  Grin

I have a question. If i take a couple of original OA textures (released under GPLv2) and modify with Windows Paint or Gimp or another software like Ulead Photo Plus4 to obtain a set of textures, this final texture can be considered GPLv2'd ? And can be used for mapping oa maps i mean.

Example:

A texture taken from C:\openarena-0.8.8\baseoa\pak4-textures\textures\proto2\tin_panel.tga

....can be modified like this:

...and released under GPLv2 ?

I mean, the original files was released underGPLv2, right ? We can manage it and use it for free, right ? Tell me please.

GPLv2 Freedoms:

- To use the software (in this case, the texture) with any purpose.
- To study how the software (texture) works and change it to fit the needs/wishes.
- To redistribute the software (texture).
- To redistribute the modified copies of the software (texture) to others.

Wink

« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 01:19:33 PM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2013, 02:10:52 AM »

Re-use it the aim of GPLv2. And it's a viral license, so if you want to re-use/modify the texture, you HAVE TO release it under GPL.

I think you should provide the .psd, or .xcf (or other format) you used when doing your changes, especially in case the image is multi-layered.

I have not yet understood if GPL does require to mention original authors (like CC-BY licenses do), but in this case I hope that the generic "OpenArena Team" as authors of OpenArena may be enough (in this case, you took the original image from OA). Of course, any clarification by Fromhell would be welcome. Smiley (Side note: about clarifications by Fromhell which would be welcome... I'd like a clear table of allowed licenses...).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2013, 11:20:58 AM »

Re-use it the aim of GPLv2. And it's a viral license, so if you want to re-use/modify the texture, you HAVE TO release it under GPL.

I think you should provide the .psd, or .xcf (or other format) you used when doing your changes, especially in case the image is multi-layered.

I have not yet understood if GPL does require to mention original authors (like CC-BY licenses do), but in this case I hope that the generic "OpenArena Team" as authors of OpenArena may be enough (in this case, you took the original image from OA). Of course, any clarification by Fromhell would be welcome. Smiley (Side note: about clarifications by Fromhell which would be welcome... I'd like a clear table of allowed licenses...).

Ehm, i'm using a little program that as no layers and save the textures under bmp, jpg and tga format.
I mean the texture itself is the source, no psd or other stuff. If i want to change something of the texture i have to remake it from scratch Tongue

Wink

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2013, 04:09:08 PM »

Ok, without Fromhell words about it, if i modify and release under GPL (normal) i can do what i want ?
I mean, as the original was released under GPL (or GPLv2) are free to use, am i right ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2013, 12:56:16 AM »

Ok, without Fromhell words about it, if i modify and release under GPL (normal) i can do what i want ?
I mean, as the original was released under GPL (or GPLv2) are free to use, am i right ?

Wink

I have not understood what do you mean with "normal". In general, I think OA stuff is released under "GPLv2+", which means who re-uses it can decide to release it under "GPLv2 or any later version", like GPLv3. Not GPLv1. But releasing under GPLv3 would prevent that stuff from fitting any GPLv2 project ("GPLv3 only" or "GPLv3+" stuff is not acceptable for OA), so I would suggest you to keep the "GPLv2+" license.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2013, 09:47:30 AM »

Wink

I have not understood what do you mean with "normal". In general, I think OA stuff is released under "GPLv2+", which means who re-uses it can decide to release it under "GPLv2 or any later version", like GPLv3. Not GPLv1. But releasing under GPLv3 would prevent that stuff from fitting any GPLv2 project ("GPLv3 only" or "GPLv3+" stuff is not acceptable for OA), so I would suggest you to keep the "GPLv2+" license.

Yes, but can i modify and release it under GPLv2 ? I mean, it's not in the NOT TO DO list, right ?

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2013, 10:05:02 AM »

I think it's perfectly normal.
It's what I did for various textures used in "under destruction" map (modified existing OA textures, and of course continuing releasing them with the same GPLv2 license), with the only difference that I used Photoshop so I provided a separate package with "source" files. In map readme, I specified original filenames of the images I used and modified.

UPDATE: Thinking that in your case you don't have .psd or .xcf files as "sources", maybe you may directly refer to the existing OA images as "sources" (by providing their complete path in OA 0.8.8 pk3 files or even link to OA SVN.... or else by including a copy of them in the package, in a "sources" folder?)....
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 10:52:22 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2013, 11:24:43 AM »

It's what I did for various textures used in "under destruction" map (modified existing OA textures, and of course continuing releasing them with the same GPLv2 license), with the only difference that I used Photoshop so I provided a separate package with "source" files. In map readme, I specified original filenames of the images I used and modified.

UPDATE: Thinking that in your case you don't have .psd or .xcf files as "sources", maybe you may directly refer to the existing OA images as "sources" (by providing their complete path in OA 0.8.8 pk3 files or even link to OA SVN.... or else by including a copy of them in the package, in a "sources" folder?)....

But what if those textures once will be replaced or even deleted?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:02 AM »

I think there's no problem, the original texture is released under GPLv2 in OA (am i right?) and can be used even if it will be deleted in a future release.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2013, 11:44:05 AM »

As long  as you said they are from a specific OA version, people should be able to find it in the net. I hope.

And does not SVN keep previous versions  somewhere?  Not sure, but...

Gig from phone

PS: One may include multiple OA download links taken from "download mirrors" wiki page.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2013, 12:35:40 PM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »

I don't know how this post escaped to me.

Exactly, but not always. One source from where a lot of textures can be created (for example, the acc_ textures in the OA repos) should be enough, I guess.

IICR, the source should be provided in case of mutli-layer textures, but for one-layered textures such as seamless textures made from raw photos this can be or not the case.

Wasn't already clear that the only licenses accepted by OA are GPLv2-compatible licenses? AFAIK these are GPL1, GPL2 and Public Domain. Not sure about CC0 but everything else which imposes restrictions on distribution (CC-NC) and derivation (CC-SA, CC-ND) and/or contradicts any of the four freedoms of GPL is forbidden in OA.

Ehm, i'm using a little program that as no layers and save the textures under bmp, jpg and tga format.
I mean the texture itself is the source, no psd or other stuff. If i want to change something of the texture i have to remake it from scratch Tongue

Wink
That's why multi-layering (and GPLv2) is for. Have you tried to create the same texture with a layer-based program such as GIMP or Paint.net?

Wink
Exactly, as you started from an already-GPLv2'd texture there shouldn't be a problem.

As long  as you said they are from a specific OA version, people should be able to find it in the net. I hope.

And does not SVN keep previous versions  somewhere?  Not sure, but...

Gig from phone

PS: One may include multiple OA download links taken from "download mirrors" wiki page.
http://www.mancubus.net/svn/openarena is the link you need for older versions. Also doing a SVN checkout of an older revision of the OA repo also works.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 03:19:44 PM »

The only deleted textures were non-Free ones that slipped through due to certain mappers.

I hate SVN...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 05:45:17 AM »

Wink
Exactly, as you started from an already-GPLv2'd texture there shouldn't be a problem.

Ok, thank you. I'm really glad of that.  Grin

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2014, 02:15:56 AM »

Wasn't already clear that the only licenses accepted by OA are GPLv2-compatible licenses? AFAIK these are GPL1, GPL2 and Public Domain. Not sure about CC0 but everything else which imposes restrictions on distribution (CC-NC) and derivation (CC-SA, CC-ND) and/or contradicts any of the four freedoms of GPL is forbidden in OA.
GPLv1 stuff acceptable? Are you sure? I can guess only if that stuff was "GPLv1+" (license mentioning "... either version 1 or at your opinion any later version of the license...."), right?

About CC-0, a clear statement from Fromhell would really be welcome. CC0 tries to express "Public Domain" concept under precise terms. I think it should be okay, but we cannot be sure until Fromhell says it's OK...

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: