Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  
Author Topic: Gauging interest: OpenArena Community Mappack Volume 2  (Read 248529 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2014, 10:55:47 AM »

It's ok for me, but please delete (if you want or can) the stuff that not involve the "Testing the maps for Volume 2".

What? I do not understand...

Nevermind......... Tongue

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 11:10:10 AM »

IIUC, Akom means to delete thread derailments, i.e. anything which isn't related to the OACMP2.
In this case, I agree with him. Thuogh I don't have such permissions to delete posts as I'm not a mod, global mod or admin.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2014, 01:23:22 AM »

A request for who is going to make CTF maps for OACMP Volume 2: what about using the "runes"? They have been underused until now...

Reminder: "classic" runes usage is to place one set of them in each base, using "spawnflags" to allow players of a team to get only those in their own base.

Note: Runes are available in baseoa only if you set \g_runes 1.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 11:42:10 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2014, 10:52:12 AM »

A request for who is going to make CTF maps for OACMP Volume 2: what about using the "runes"? They have been underused until now...

Remider: "classic" runes usage is to place one set of them in each base, using "spawnflags" to allow players of a team to get only those in their own base.

Note: Runes are available in baseoa only if you set \g_runes 1.

Excuse me, but runes are not for the missionpack "mod" only ?? (like Team Arena for Q3A)
If i can use it in any ctf map i'll do it for next maps.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »

They were integrated with OA since 0.8.5. You must have g_runes 1 to see them.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2014, 11:23:59 AM »

OACMPDM10 has got them, but (unlike their standard usage) they are not team-limited there, intentionally.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2014, 05:23:52 AM »

Excuse me, another tech question.
I noticed that any surface which uses a shader which contains a flare effect (by either having "light 1" or "q3map_flare [flareshader_name]"), causes various "WARNING: ProjectSurfaceLightmap: Chose a 0 valued axis" to be shown by q3map2 while computing lighting. Does that represent a problem? If I would have many flares around, a would get a wall of these errors during compiling. I tried to google, but I have not found useful infos.

I have q3map2 version 2.5.17.

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2014, 01:31:33 PM »

I do not know if this is the place for it, but i'm developing a map for oacmpv2 and i could use some input from others:
http://jan.groothuijse.net/img/jx3.pk3 (depends on oacpmv1 and dsiv2 by neon_knight)

I guess if you can notice whats off about it, you should get a virtual cookie.

Still todo:
  • lighting
  • perhaps switch color scheme? I like the dsi pack but the tri-color thing was perhaps a mistake
  • markings for teleporters
  • bot optimization

I could use input on:
  • Item placement
  • Any ideas on marking the teleporters
  • Other suggestions
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #58 on: March 24, 2014, 01:52:54 AM »

Uhm... for the moment, there is not so much to comment. That's just a small alpha (the map isn't "closed", so it's not so easy to guess what will be its final size or shape). Are you sure you attached the right version of the map?

I have not understood if you wish to strictly follow the Dsi mappack idea (using a VERY restricted set of textures only), or not...

If not, what's about the cool teleporter from "five steps ahead" map (DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Maps/pul1duel-oa]pul1duel-oa), changing its color if you prefer? Just an idea...
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:46:36 AM by Gig » Logged

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2014, 02:44:08 AM »

Well, it should contain some intermediate products,for fun and because the version without trimming is easier to edit. I included a .arena file with a section for the latest version: jx3f.

Like any modern dev, i forgot about the poweruser...sorry gig...just do /map jx3f...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #60 on: March 24, 2014, 03:13:28 AM »

Okay, this way I see the right map!  Smiley

Not bad... A bit maze-like, reminds me a bit about your oacmpdm6 map.

Well, it should contain some intermediate products
Uh?  Huh

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #61 on: March 24, 2014, 04:05:23 AM »

Well, it should contain some intermediate products
Uh?  Huh

Not that important really, but it also contains jx3b up to jx3e....if someone wants to use the basic geometric shapes you probably want it free of trimming..or just finissh it in some alternative way..anyways...

If not, what's about the cool teleporter from "five steps ahead" map (DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Maps/pul1duel-oa]pul1duel-oa), changing its color if you prefer? Just an idea...

I always liked those! I should try to find out how it works, but that should not be too hard.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #62 on: March 24, 2014, 04:26:17 AM »

Small note: that sky's "farbox" is nice, but you already used that in four maps. What about making some change to it? I would suggest using a different (darker?) tone of blue, and adding a few (rare?) clouds slowly moving in front of it... just to do not make it exactly the same as your previous maps.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #63 on: March 31, 2014, 03:38:23 AM »

More on that rats map idea.... i think it could be a bedroom

an otaku's bedroom

- Shelves full of DVDs, manga, and low poly figurines of OA models.
- A bright window for room amassing radiant sunlight. Maybe a OA curtain?
- Floor littered with a few stuffies (chibi OA characters?) and some mangas open with their pages turned and curled (as beziers/curves) to make nice jumping ramps from the floor
- A computer with a slightly open case - But this computer is an anachronism stew - being a modern case with a turbo button, that when pressed, sends a bunch of plasma everywhere inside the case and causes a blue screen on its monitor (tiny trains being triggered?)
- "Squishy" mousepad, that serves as a jumppad of course.
- Bed in center.  Bed has body pillows - which are bouncable. They would be pinched and angled so they'd be allowing access to the other side of the map better
- Maybe a few hastes and teleporter items since getting lost could be possible.
- Some more jumppads for mobility, maybe even cords acting as access ramps (like from computer to monitor, and the from monitor to a console on a different shelf). The #1 problem with these room maps tends to be mobility so there could be experimental ways to help that. Jumppads could be stuffies, the said mousepad, disks and discs sticking out of covers at various angles from shelves....
- Some stacks of manga or VHS cases acting as tower platforms and cover.
- a CAT under the door reaching in, swatting players as they approach. Possibly with crushing damage, acting as a hook against a clipbrush
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:24:00 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #64 on: April 01, 2014, 01:11:49 AM »

About this version of oajgdm4:
Nice  Smiley, but the teleporters:
- have a shader which is not animated
- do bring you too near to edges.

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #65 on: April 01, 2014, 06:55:10 AM »

I was actually pleased with this minimalistic design...Is it a convention to have them animated?

You mean on the end points is not ok?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2014, 07:18:51 AM »

I was actually pleased with this minimalistic design...Is it a convention to have them animated?
It's just my personal impression that a wall made of stars seems a bit strange...

I would suggest to make teleporters make you re-appear without the risk of falling down from the platform...

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 07:57:07 AM »

It's just my personal impression that a wall made of stars seems a bit strange...

I've tried the pulchr teleporter, i still have version of those textures matching this color-theme, but it looked really out of place.

Now its a glowing white rectangle hovering a few inches from a wall of stars (i like the stars because quake(1)); i suppose i could animate the stars, but then the hovering effect (Which is very subtle as it is) will be even less noticable.

I would suggest to make teleporters make you re-appear without the risk of falling down from the platform...
[/quote]

You are right, the teleporter should exit somewhere safer. Easy enough to fix though.

Thanks for the feedback, thanks for giving this map a try.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #68 on: April 01, 2014, 08:29:46 AM »

Now its a glowing white rectangle hovering a few inches from a wall of stars (i like the stars because quake(1)); i suppose i could animate the stars, but then the hovering effect (Which is very subtle as it is) will be even less noticable.
What about a try placing the stars inside a smaller square brush (a bit bigger than the white rectangle), and use something different for the rest of the wall? Just an idea...

wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #69 on: April 01, 2014, 11:21:29 AM »

Just for example Tongue
Did you notice oacmpdm7 (plan 9 from outer space) is 5 MB, or even a bit more?
That's a very small map (but with a skybox)... I don't know the reason of its size. I don't know what may cause a such small map to have a such bsp.

q3map2 switches!
Lighting for textures is precalculated and must be stored somewhere.
Play with the switches and you will see.
I get very different results with
-approx 64 -samples 3 -bounce 4                                                                                                                                                                         
and
-samples 3 -bounce 8                                                                                                                               

L!ve* is life - na na nana na
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2014, 03:33:41 AM »

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2014, 03:48:29 AM »

You forgot dirty socks under bed and a trashcan with used tissue paper. Probably it's female otaku room.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #72 on: April 22, 2014, 06:51:30 AM »

I've started the map BTW, making mapobjects where I can.  The ase exporter is working nicely so the rate is pretty fast

So far:

- a room!
- a bed with simple bezier blanket
- a crt tv with a crt-esque shader playing a videomap (which will be some anime sequence i'll make later)
- a 16:9 lcd monitor with an lcd-esque shader including viewing angle effect
- a mousepad that's a jumpad to the top of the desk
- two body pillow meshes, one bent, has simple clipping brushes
- two stuffies, six planned
- New detail textures: d_fabric, d_carpet, d_carpet2, d_lcd, d_crt, d_plush

I had to compile lighting with q3map_urt for it to not crash though Sad
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 06:55:24 AM by fromhell » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #73 on: April 23, 2014, 01:00:41 AM »

Interesting. I'm curious to see some screenshot of it when it will be possible!  Smiley

son_goku2
ADMIN NOTE: This account is now banned, keeps creating sockuppets (and has yet to take a hint). Also has blanked own posts under 0kelvin who is banned.
Nub

Cakes -4

I don't play OA.

« Reply #74 on: April 24, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »

Just for the record: lego textures are open, not proprietary.

For now I'm retired from q3map2, it's slow and "rustic / primitive". I'm killing my time scanning books.

Cakes -666999
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
  Print  

Jump to: