Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Community Mappack Volume 1 v3 Re-Release  (Read 319099 times)
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #100 on: January 28, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »

Well, it's time to confess this.

I'm a dumb idiot. -.-

I forgot to add Akom's shaders to my shaderlist.txt. -.-

You are not an idiot, it's a solvable mistake Tongue
Don't worry.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #101 on: January 28, 2014, 11:44:33 AM »

Note: while I was writing this post, three other replies were written in the meanwhile...

Q3MAP2 switches seem to be a sort of hell...  Undecided

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-fast
- fast
    Enables light envelopes for area (shader) lights. This includes radiosity lights. Results in a much quicker -light compiles, but darkens all enveloped light sources considerably—this can be compensated for easily by raising your surfacelight values.
    Do not be confused by the "fast" nomenclature... -fast is perfectly suitable for "final" compiles.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-gamma_.3CN.N.3E
- gamma <N.N>
    Creates a more realistic color ramp between "light" and "dark." Good values are in the 1.4-2.2 range. Games that use r_overBrightBits and r_mapOverBrightBits (Quake III: Arena, most notably) will need those cvars disabled unless -compensate is used accordingly.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-compensate_.3CN.N.3E
- compensate <N.N>
    Scales back lightmap values to adjust for overbrighting when -gamma is used. For Quake III: Arena, a good compensate value is 4, though some experimentation may be needed to find an aesthetic that suits your particular map.

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-sky_.3CN.N.3E
- sky <N.N>
Scales up all sun/sky light sources by the prescribed factor. In this new era of -gamma -compensate, -sky 3 can allow "old style" sky shaders to be used without manually rewriting them.
The one above may sound interesting for maps which come from Q3Radiant, maybe?

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-bounce_.3CN.3E
-bounce <N>
    Enables Q3Map2 radiosity, calculating radiosity light through N bounces.
-bouncegrid
    Allows bounced light to affect the lightgrid.
-bouncescale <N.N>
    Scales up radiosity lights by the prescribed factor.
Some tries with these, too?

Giving a quick look inside a few very, very older beta versions of oacmp maps:
From an *OLD* Moixie DM map .bsp file (something like February 2013):
"_q3map2_cmdline" "-meta -flares; -light -faster; -meta; -vis -saveprt; -light -fast -filter"

From an *OLD* Jan's "the other side" map .bsp file (something like February 2013):
"_q3map2_cmdline" "-meta; -vis -saveprt; -light -fast -super 2 -filter -bounce 8"

So...
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-super_.3CN.3E
-super <N>
   Enables arbitrarily ordered grid supersampling of lightmaps. This is much, much, much slower than -samples, by the way.
Huh

https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2/Light#-filter
-filter
    Applies a gaussian blur to lightmaps, smoothing out shadows. Sounds good in theory, but -filter doesn't play nice with a lot of the more interesting effects... don't use it. Use -samples instead.

I'm quite lost...  Huh

Note: "readme" files of some maps from Jan (inlcuded with OACMP zip and pk3) do mention some of the q3map2 switches he used. Such infos are now probably outdated. Maybe those lines should be removed by those readme files?

Update:
I forgot to add Akom's shaders to my shaderlist.txt. -.-
"Happens also in best families", as we say in Italy.  Smiley
I suppose something will need some more optimizations...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 11:49:01 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #102 on: January 28, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

Well, nobody said that mapping is an easy thing.

There are some switches which were left in q3map2, but -samples does the same as them but in a better way. That's why I don't use -filter anymore, for example.

Also I do use -bounce. In fact, I use -bounce 8.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #103 on: January 28, 2014, 11:57:22 AM »

Also I do use -bounce. In fact, I use -bounce 8.
Yes, the first options I checked on that wiki where those you mentioned in your post.

But what dwould that additional "-bouncegrid" option do exactly?

[OT] I notice you have not downloaded latest mappols pk3 yet. Just a reminder.  Wink

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #104 on: January 28, 2014, 11:59:32 AM »

Also, Gig, you forgot this:

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Compiling_and_packaging

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #105 on: January 28, 2014, 12:03:09 PM »

Also, Gig, you forgot this:

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Compiling_and_packaging
Argh!

By the way, maybe it would be better to split that quite long page into two distinct pages for compiling and packaging?

PS: In that veeery old version of jan's "the other side" map I tried a few minutes ago, bevels did get marks on walls...

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #106 on: January 28, 2014, 12:38:46 PM »

Another thing: In ctf1 the sound is not loaded, it say "couldnt load OA03.ogg"
In central passages, looking up you can see another sort of texture that seems not choerent with the others.
In lateral passages still missing source light and some ammobox.

In CTF3 the red and blue light added from Neon_Knight emitt white light, it's a pouposed effect ?

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #107 on: January 28, 2014, 12:58:46 PM »

No, it's not.

I'm redoing all the lighting in your levels because of this omission of mine. -.-

BTW, ctf1 has overlapping brushes in the caves. That's why you could see the effect. This will be solved as well.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2014, 01:16:32 PM »

Another Update, sorry if i'm late Tongue

In the "Crypt" map the cross block the players:

In "Danger Arena" please, remove the fog, the effect is so ugly.... Tongue

I don't remember the name of the map, but it's really necessary to go so high ?

I've found a glitch in that jump:

In "Sanctuary" arena, now you can't die jumping here, it has to be fixed Tongue:

@Gig: Are you kidding me ?   Grin

Flags are uncentered, both:

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2014, 01:28:26 PM »

dm1 - I'll clip.
dm2 - I'll remove it.
dm5 - That area shouldn't be reachable at all, indeed.
dm8 - I'll see what can I do about that.
dm9 - I'll fix.
dm10 - I'm not going to fix the map. That could be left to Gig, as I haven't touched his map at all.
ctf1 - I'll fix.

jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #110 on: January 28, 2014, 02:33:13 PM »

It's not a texture missing, it's a "brutal" graphic bug, i don't know why.
See it in spectator mode:

Wink

Thats an old friend of mine! We had some battles, i reconstructed that portion a few times, but then out of nowhere it would reapear.

Anyway, this was literally my first map, i'll never make a map with so many slightly off angle walls ever again, eventhough i think it does add to its unique look. Anyways, it only happens to me when i change something in that general area...what did you do?
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #111 on: January 28, 2014, 02:46:10 PM »

Another Update, sorry if i'm late Tongue

I don't remember the name of the map, but it's really necessary to go so high ?

Yes, in CPMA style physics you could use the ramps and a double rocket to jump from one end of the map to the other, but you do need some headroom for that.
I've found a glitch in that jump:

Not present in the version i compiled.
jangroothuijse
Lesser Nub

Cakes 5

« Reply #112 on: January 28, 2014, 03:08:38 PM »

- Second screenshot: that area has got something strange (illumination maybe? Probably patch texture aligment...)... :-/

UPDATE: I did forgot to upload the second screenshot. Now it is attached.

Yeah i saw that one, i must ask, why are we recompiling maps? I've documented how i compiled them which should enable anyone with a computer and internet access to compile them exactly like i did, so why not use the binaries i supplied? Or use the exact tooling and compiler options?

A demonstration of why headroom is nice to have: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o96Eybzxztk
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #113 on: January 28, 2014, 03:10:52 PM »

Anyways, it only happens to me when i change something in that general area...what did you do?

I do nothing, only spectate and roam in the map. It happen to Pelya too.
It's the last version compiled by Neon_knight.
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49983#msg49983

Yes, in CPMA style physics you could use the ramps and a double rocket to jump from one end of the map to the other, but you do need some headroom for that.

So high ? O my god...  Tongue Cheesy

Not present in the version i compiled.

But in the version we have, there is the glitch, don't know what t tell you.  Huh Huh

Wink

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #114 on: January 28, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »

Don't you know how that happens? You only want to replace one tiny little texture, and end up with 6 broken maps, 5 of which do not even use that texture  Grin
Similar thing happens to me every time, when I update Android build.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #115 on: January 29, 2014, 03:07:48 AM »

@Gig: Are you kidding me ?  Grin

I may be too meticoulous at times, but this time you beated me...  Cheesy
For the blue "bar" on the left, okay... I'm going to recompile the map, although I don't consider it a real issue (I'll have to scale up the texture on that face).
About the other blue parts you pointed out, I will not modify them: that's just how that texture natually is, showing some "junction points": in case I would modify the top side of those brushes, they would not fit anymore with the lateral side.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:04:45 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #116 on: January 29, 2014, 03:43:54 AM »

why are we recompiling maps? I've documented how i compiled them which should enable anyone with a computer and internet access to compile them exactly like i did, so why not use the binaries i supplied?
It's part of the GPLv2 compliance.

Or use the exact tooling and compiler options?
Because not everyone will have them. A map should be compilable using any compile set.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #117 on: January 29, 2014, 05:28:18 AM »

Under destruction version 19 is attached to this post (not a "standalone" package).

Changelog against Version 18:
- Fixed the texture on one side of a "blue bar" which appears in CTF mode (see post above for info) (Akom, is it okay now? By the way, some OACMP maps have worse imperfections than those blue bars...)
- Moved 16 units down the light entities inside the scaffolding -in both ground floor and middle foor- (also slightly lowered the light value of two of them to compensate). The reason is just that I can guess it's more useful to illuminate the ground than the ceiling. This is just a minor change, that does not really fix the non-optimal lighting of that part of the map. But I had some fear making bigger changes at this moment.

Note: files in the package still use "udestruction" name: they have to be renamed to "oacmpdm10" for the release.

PS:
@Jan: in OACMPDM5, in your idea, the jumps from lateral platform to central platform should have been possible or not? (screenshot). It looks like they are possible/easy with 125 fps physics, but not with 90 fps or "accurate" physics.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 10:19:08 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #118 on: January 29, 2014, 10:43:15 AM »

- Fixed the texture on one side of a "blue bar" which appears in CTF mode (Akom, is it okay now? By the way, some OACMP maps have worse imperfections than those blue bars...)

In OA original textures folder there is the "pulchr_simple" that have the blue and red color.
(and a lot of other colours)

Why don't you use them ? Textures like the one you have choose are to manage for prevent misalignement, by the way it's a minimal issue.

Wink

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #119 on: January 29, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »

I'm having difficulties updating the maps (none in the technical side, but RL is calling me -.-), but I'll do as much as I can.
For tomorrow's final release, many "fixed" maps may have to be kept aside of the pack, so it's possible I'll be using v3 versions.

Does anyone experienced pelya's ctf1 glitches too? Because I seem to have found the solution to those bugs, and it involves the use of the func_group entity.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2014, 11:08:09 AM »

Does anyone experienced pelya's ctf1 glitches too?
Excuse me, what do you mean exactly?

By the way, I have no problem to postpone the V4 a few days, if you need some more.
I think for OACMPDM4 you may just keep the original version, if you still have to work too much on it. For DM9, instead, a "fixed" version would be appreciated (ar at the limit, what about its very original version, directly from Akom?).

In OA original textures folder there is the "pulchr_simple" that have the blue and red color.
(and a lot of other colours)

Why don't you use them ? Textures like the one you have choose are to manage for prevent misalignement, by the way it's a minimal issue.
Uhm... in theory I can guess I may have put a copy of them under baseq3 folder, to have them working in the editor. However, I also like those red and blue textures I used. And I suppose in this phase we should follow "don't fix what's not broken": I don't want to risk causing "damages" now. Maybe for the next map...  Wink However probably my next map will be a "micro-tourney" one, where red and blue textures would have little use.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 11:24:02 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2014, 10:03:07 PM »

And I've also realized why the maps I've compiled looked too dark...
I was using very low values for lights. -.-
I started using lights with values 150 and 75 and they gave a better lighting. I was using many lights with values of 60 and 30. -.-

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #122 on: January 29, 2014, 10:52:21 PM »

Put one light with value 700 near a ceiling, and call it the sun Wink That's what I did, before finding out how to make light-emitting sky.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2014, 02:21:34 AM »

Neon_Knight, I don't know if you are going to release V4 today, or if you need some more days (I however propose a V4 beta2 before officially releasing V4). For me, there is no problem to wait for some more days.

However, I just quickly looked at all the pages of this "v3 re-released" thread, to give a look to which posts did contain infos about known issues. I suggest you to give a look to them, to check out what's done and what's missing. However, if you want to scroll the whole thread yourself, you can do it... it's just five pages, so it's a relatively fast operation!

Some posts which listed some problems (some of them have been fixed, some of them are packaging-related and I don't know):

(Since v3)
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49847#msg49847 (of those mentioned here, maybe only the darkness problem still lasts?)
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49862#msg49862
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49885#msg49885

(Since V4 beta)
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49936#msg49936
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49967#msg49967

(Since V4 beta fixpack)
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49985#msg49985
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49986#msg49986 (and the one under it)
- http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg50007#msg50007

Extra:
- Fixed mappools: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg49981#msg49981 (the post also mentions "item startsolid" problem with OACMPDM5)
- Under destruction version 19: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4905.msg50026#msg50026
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 07:51:10 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2014, 09:29:05 AM »

So far, the changes I've got registered are the following:

oacmpdm1:
- Keeping the v4-beta (not the fixpack) version, also adding Akom's suggested change to the cross area.

oacmpdm2:
- Keeping the v3 version but removing the fog.

oacmpdm3:
- Keeping the v3 version.

oacmpdm4:
- At this point I'll still keep the v3 version.

oacmpdm5:
- Changes regarding v3 version: fixings to the BSP hole area. Sparklies won't be fixed.
- Startsolid items.

oacmpdm6:
- I'll try to fix those bugs, but I won't guarantee anything.

oacmpdm7:
- I'll try to raise the lighting. Again, I won't guarantee anything. And still waiting if the people wants me to bring back the old placement or keep the new one.
- Add more items.

oacmpdm8:
- I'll keep the v3 version.

oacmpdm9:
- I'll add the new version with better lighting at the top and Akom's suggested change. (I'm going to clip that area)

oacmpdm10:
- v19 will enter.

oacmpctf1:
- Sparklies won't be fixed. The MG ammo will be added. Overlapping brushes will be fixed, though.
- Replace music so Gig won't complain as much.

oacmpctf2:
- The v3 version will be kept, with the extra of the botfix and quadfix.

oacmpctf3:
- Recompile with sky shaders.
- Redo the bottom pit.
- Redo the lighting at bases.

In general:
- "Yellow dots" won't be fixed.
- "Copying" without TXT won't be fixed.
- Readmes will be done for dm8 and ctf2.
- OACMP readme fixes.
- Mappools removed. Gig's mappools will be placed instead.
- OACMP mod message fix.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2014, 11:24:22 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8
  Print  

Jump to: