Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena Community Mappack Volume 1 v3 Re-Release  (Read 319114 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2014, 05:42:25 AM »

oacmpctf3 glitch fixed. But this called heavily my attention:
- v3 size: 10.6 MB
After turning all the complex stuff into .ase models (and their original brushes to weaponclip models):
- v3.5 size: 6.7 MB

I still don't know if it's that or the fact that I removed three switches from the light stage of my "final compile" command line (-dark -dirty and -filter) the responsible of such size loss.

oacmpdm9 though can't be solved with this method, because of the complexity of the map itself. Or the fact that there's still a lot of stuff to make into models. (The Chaingun area, bridge included, and the RL "minihouse" could be some)

I'm sorry... I know something about .md3 models, but I have no idea about what an .ase model is.  Huh
In general, I can only suppose that turning too much geometry from structural to detail or to models may risk to be backfiring, causing faster compiling time, but lower framerate in-game. But I'm not an expert.

About oacmpctf3 glitch, do you mean the one of the corpse did not explode at the bottom of the "void"? Could you please explain how to achieve the body explosion, so Akom may fix his DM4 map, too? Probably it's something easy such as extending the "killing" trigger to make it reach the bottom, but I don't know and I don't want to cause more bugs, so it would be better to follow a clear instruction about how to get it. I can guess we may take a look to Moixie's DM map .map...  Smiley

About the "maps edited in January look darker than originals", I just took two screenshots (with r_gamma 1) of Akom's CTF map: the first one from the "current" OACMP1 V3 (compiled by Neon_Knight), and the second one from the previous OACMP1 RC2 (compiled by Akom). I have the impression NK version has really got some parts too dark...
Is it possible that those Q3MAP2 options you mentioned above (e.g. -dirty) may have a role in this?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:45:55 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2014, 06:14:30 AM »

About mapmodels, I wrote a page for the mapping manual some days about this. It's the mapmodels page and it also explains what .ase models are and how and why to use such feature.

About oacmpctf3, I already took care of the bug and also raised the lighting of the level. The process about the creation of death pits is already explained in the mapping manual too.

About lighting on levels: that darkness was indeed caused by some of that and my (then) lack of enough knowledge of what _minlight does. Now that I've learned what it does, the old level of lighting may come back.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2014, 06:57:37 AM »

However, I can guess even _minlight may not be the magic wand for all problems. I mean, also it may risk to "flatten the difference between enlighted and dark parts"... isn't so?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2014, 07:07:02 AM »

_ambient light in general does that. And it also makes the weapon/item models to look dark in lighted environemts, making it a "lighting contradiction". _minlight isn't also a recommended solution, (the best solution is to light the level oneself placing the light entities where they should go) but IMHO it's better than ambient light.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #54 on: January 25, 2014, 11:15:08 AM »

Well, here it is.

http://www.onykage.com/files/armageddonman/!oacmp/oacmp-volume1-v4-beta.zip

Due to space issues, the v3 version was deleted, so this would be v3.5. ONLY FOR TESTING PURPOSES.

The only maps not modified regarding v3 are oacmpdm4, oacmpdm6, oacmpdm8 and oacmpdm10. All of the other maps have been modified in one way or another. I've dropped my changes to oacmpdm4, though the models I've extracted from it are still in the pack. The sources for these models (.map files) are also included, in the models folder inside of sources.
I've also renamed the xcsv folder to oacmp_jan, changes in shaders and references in maps included. That way, those who use the xcsv original package doesn't get problems.

Also, I still have to figure out how to cut the size of oacmpdm9. 13MB for a small map is just too much. Especially now that the fog was removed.

The release date is still 30/1. 1/2 at worst.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2014, 11:22:18 AM »

The .bsp size is determined by amount of detail/rooms/triangles in the map, not by map geometrical dimensions. Setting big allclip areas around torches/ceiling/complicated geometry might help a little.
Testing it now. Mirrored it just in case, I'll remove this link in few days
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »

Well, oacmpdm9 in that regard is extremely detailed. I've removed a lot of stuff but the outer floor itself is extremely detailed.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2014, 11:56:25 AM »

Oh, V4 beta without waiting for Akom fixing his DM4 deadly pit?  Sad
Well, I'll try that on Monday. I hope to have some time.

Neon_Knight, I thing is not clear here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Creating_dynamic_features#Death_pits
It talks about "half of the bottom" sized triggers... but I don't get what does it mean exactly. Also, then it mentions to make a brush sized 1.5x the previous one.. but horizontally, vertically, or both? I can guess vertically... Could you please check if that's clear enough? Maybe also a screenshot may help...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2014, 12:10:05 PM »

Vertically, I thought it was clear.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2014, 01:42:31 PM »

I'll try to release a fixed version of oacmpdm4 this monday, however don't count on it being the same as the v3 version.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #60 on: January 25, 2014, 04:53:27 PM »

I've tested it, and there are some issues (Akom I'm sorry for lot of big images).

dm1 - OK, it seems a bit brighter now in lateral tunnels, but I'm not really sure, the difference is small.

dm2 - OK. I did not notice misaligned lamps. Lighting is okay.

dm3 - OK, did not notice any issues. Lighting is good.

dm4 - not tested.

dm5 - there is a missing texture here:

Also, slight white line between textures, but it's minor bug. Lighting is good.

dm6 - not tested.

dm7 - lot of items on the death pit floor, is this intentional? Also, I've tried to use bottom jumppad 5 times, and died each time, maybe it's my sloppy playing on cellphone, maybe not. Lighting OK.

dm8 - not tested.

dm9 - uhh, why death pit now have concrete floor? It looks like big gray box now. Please bring back the fog to cover that ugliness. Lighting OK.

dm10 - OK, did not notice bugs, now it's little dimmer, but lighting still within comfort range.

ctf1 - it's now way brighter, that makes it way better to play. Your map compiler played dirty jokes on you though, look at those screenshots:

screenshot 1
screenshot 2
screenshot 3
screenshot 4
screenshot 5

ctf2 - I remember lateral tunnels were brighter. Can you spot the bot?

ctf3 - OK, and the lighting still OK, despite that it's now darker than the original Akom's version.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 05:27:48 PM by pelya » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2014, 05:02:49 PM »

Pelya, can you reduce the size of your images, please? Thank you.

Once you've done that, I'll be able to reply.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #62 on: January 25, 2014, 05:09:32 PM »

oacmpdm5 - That bug is a HoM, Hall of Mirrors. It's a classic bug where a BSP plane is broken by an interference. I can't do much against it except reworking that whole part.
oacmpdm7 - I've considered redoing the whole weapon/item placement, I also find it a bit too much.
oacmpdm9 - If the fog comes back the fog bug comes back with it as well. There's no way to separate them. :/
oacmpctf1 - Those bugs are pretty annoying. -.- There are also many texture misalignments.
oacmpctf2 - The map was recompiled without flares. I should have remade the whole lighting on that level, especially now that there isn't a sky providing light.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2014, 05:21:25 PM »

There's something I can do for oacmpdm9, though. What if I surround the map with a mountain and re-add the fog as a death fog? It could make the map even more complex than what it actually is, but at least the bug won't theorically appear. And the map would look more realistic.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #64 on: January 25, 2014, 05:33:47 PM »

It does not look like hall of mirrors to me in dm5, it looks like the geometry has a hole, because I can see the other part of level through the hole without any visual artifacts.
Is it possible to put a skybox instead of the solid floor on dm9? I've got impression you can put skybox everywhere, like in space maps.
I've fixed screenshots size.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #65 on: January 25, 2014, 06:00:35 PM »

Yeah, but the cause for dm5 may be the same. Brushwork.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #66 on: January 25, 2014, 09:26:44 PM »

Glitch solved in oacmpdm5.

A basic rule for map building: vertexes should meet with other vertexes, not with planes.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:59 PM »

Here's a test of oacmpdm7 with new weapon/item placement. I still have to redo the lighting.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #68 on: January 26, 2014, 05:30:48 AM »

About dm4, if Akom has got some time to fix it, well. Otherwise, I think we can just keep the original version. It's not a serious issue... someone else heavily modifying the map now would be risky...

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #69 on: January 26, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »

I doubt the impossibility to compile a map can be called a minor issue. If someone can't compile the map, then there's something bad about it and should be fixed.

The good thing is that the required work to make it compillable isn't really much. Just make some stuff detail and that's it.

I'll see what can I do tomorrow.

pelya

Cakes 6

« Reply #70 on: January 26, 2014, 12:42:28 PM »

dm7: I've noticed some bugs in lighting (they were also in previous version, I've missed them). And there still are items in the death pit, although that's a minor thing.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #71 on: January 26, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »

I doubt the impossibility to compile a map can be called a minor issue.
I was referring to the corpse not exploding when reaching the bottom of the map...  Roll Eyes

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #72 on: January 26, 2014, 12:49:18 PM »

Well, how can I fix that if I cannot compile the map? Roll Eyes

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #73 on: January 26, 2014, 12:57:07 PM »

Well, how can I fix that if I cannot compile the map? Roll Eyes
I can guess by using Q3radiant as Akom does...
... or as I told, we can live with that small defect.

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #74 on: January 26, 2014, 02:49:12 PM »

It's not necessary to usa Q3Radiant, it's just a brush to move and recompile the map.
It can be maked with GTKradiant or NETradiant.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
  Print  

Jump to: