Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [SOLVED] Server doesn't show up on master-server  (Read 14263 times)
M4d_8utch3r
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 13, 2014, 11:03:50 AM »

Hey guys!

I'm running an OA-server in my LAN. Now I'm trying to make it available through the internet as a private server, to play with some friends outside of my LAN.

I'm able to connect to it manually by entering the IP-address. Most of the time it shows up here. (if this doesn't work for you, maybe it's due to my dynamic IP-address).
But it doesn't show up here. And it doesn't show up in the game-menu. For some reason it was showing up there several times, but only for about 5 minutes.

I have kind of a low upstream, but when I manually connect (from outside my LAN), I'm able to play normal.
If I'm in my LAN, it shows up properly in the multiplayer-menu under "local".

The server runs on port 27960 and I forwarded it properly in my firewall.

And yes, I have disabled "hide private" in the menu.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards

[edit] Link updated (dynamic IP)
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 03:47:59 AM by M4d_8utch3r » Logged
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2014, 01:06:17 PM »

Make sure you start your server with '+set dedicated 2', otherwise it will not report to the master servers at all.
Which version of OA is this? I'm not sure what 'ioq3+oa 1.36_SVN1910M linux-x86_64 Dec 25 2011' maps to.

P.S.: You can use DNS with the deathmask dpmaster browser as well, e.g. http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=hirnschwund.net:27960
If you register with some dynamic dns provider, you can tell your friends to /connect your-alias.dyndns-provider.com:27960 as well, or add that to their favorite servers.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 01:09:48 PM by grey matter » Logged

This space is for rent.
M4d_8utch3r
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2014, 03:00:36 PM »

Thx for your answer!

Make sure you start your server with '+set dedicated 2', otherwise it will not report to the master servers at all.
Obviously I did that. Otherwise it wouldn't be possible for my server to show up for a short amount of time.

Which version of OA is this? I'm not sure what 'ioq3+oa 1.36_SVN1910M linux-x86_64 Dec 25 2011' maps to.
OpenArena 0.8.8 on a more or less up to date Arch Linux x86_64.

P.S.: You can use DNS with the deathmask dpmaster browser as well, e.g. http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=hirnschwund.net:27960
I don't know 100% what you mean with that. In my first link I did exactly that, didn't I?

If you register with some dynamic dns provider, you can tell your friends to /connect your-alias.dyndns-provider.com:27960 as well, or add that to their favorite servers.
I'm aware of that and I use dynDNS for some services. But still I don't see any reason, why my server don't show up under "Multiplayer"...
I would like to use this possibility, because first: it exists, second: some of my friends are really afraid of everything depending on the use of a terminal.

[edit] spelling
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 04:08:54 PM by M4d_8utch3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:23:59 AM »

Try reading this page:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Multiplayer#IPs.2C_routers_and_firewalls

I know, that page is quite long... sometimes we will have to reorganize it (e.g. by splitting it into "basic" and "advanced" pages? We should talk about that...), but in this period I have very little spare time available.
However, I put there what I know that may help about configuring your network to show your server on master server. Give it a try (first of all, check your firewall settings to be sure outgoing UDP port 27950 is allowed).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
M4d_8utch3r
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:43:56 AM »

Thank you very much for your help!

I found the reason for my problem: Out of lazyness I wrote "set dedicated 2" into my server.cfg. When I removed it there and put it into the command to start OA, everything worked flawlessly.

Does anyone know, what caused this? Are some variables not suitable for the config-file? Was it just wrong the way I did it?
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 06:31:11 PM »

"dedicated" has the CVAR_INIT flag, thus it can only be set during startup.

This space is for rent.
M4d_8utch3r
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 04:58:12 AM »

Thanks for the information. Where can I learn about the CVAR_INIT flag? Google was of no help...
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 04:28:05 PM »

As far as I know there is no proper documentation of all the Quake 3/ioquake3/OpenArena commands and options. Here's mine:

/cvarlist <match> lists the flags of the matching registered cvars.
flagkeydescription
CVAR_SERVERINFOSTransmitted in response to server browser queries
CVAR_SYSTEMINFOsTransmitted to the client to sync cvar value
CVAR_USERINFOUTransmitted from the client to provide playername etc.
CVAR_ROMRRead-only (for the user)
CVAR_INITICan only be set at startup, e.g. quake3.exe +set cvar value
CVAR_ARCHIVEAWill be written to q3config.cfg
CVAR_LATCHLChanges value after a game restart, e.g. new map
CVAR_CHEATCCan only be set when cheats are enabled, e.g. after /devmap
CVAR_USER_CREATED?Set by the user with /set
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 04:43:47 PM by grey matter » Logged

This space is for rent.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 04:41:29 PM »

I don't know 100% what you mean with that. In my first link I did exactly that, didn't I?

To answer this question as well:
Your link looks like http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=192.0.2.1:27960
while mine looks like http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=example.com:27960

The first example is using an IP directly, while the second one uses a DNS name. In case of the DNS name the dpmaster server browser first has to resolve example.com into an IP address (which might very well result in 192.0.2.1).
The advantage of using an DNS name becomes more clear if you use one of the dynamic DNS providers. You register my-server.some-dyndns.org and have that DNS name updated whenever you IP changes. With this you can now tell people to /connect my-server.some-dyndns.org:27960 as well as use the link http://dpmaster.deathmask.net/?game=openarena&server=my-server.some-dyndns.org:27960 and don't have to worry* about changing IP addresses as the DNS name stays the same but gets resolved to the current IP address all the time.

* This might not always work due to caching, overly long TTL etc. In that case you might end up with stale results when resolving the DNS name, i.e. one might get a previous IP as the result.

This space is for rent.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: