Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Unreal Tournament  (Read 13212 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« on: May 08, 2014, 01:42:50 PM »

https://www.unrealengine.com/blog/the-future-of-unreal-tournament-begins-today

It'll be mostly community focused and be free-to-play.  Unfortunately contribution at this point requires a subscription to UE4.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 03:52:54 PM »

I'm not really sure if I would want a community-driven Unreal game. Up to (and including) UT3, I really liked all the games of the saga.

I can foresee the bad things which may happen because of this approach:
- Every server with an own gameplay because of "excess of freedom" (no unifying vision, leading to an even more broken base). This decision about the core gameplay directly affects the level design and the map gameplay. At least with every UT you had official maps which accomodated the game's core gameplay.
- Too many remakes, or even worse, PORTS (!), of past UT maps (especially UT99) wasting the potential of the UE4 engine. The UT99 versions of the Unreal maps didn't got a lot of play just for being 100% faithful remakes of their Unreal counterparts. Ditto with UT2K4, sans CTF-FaceClassic.
- Character design also wasting the capabilities of the engine in lieu of the gdamned "classic feeling".

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2014, 04:07:35 PM »

Indeed, I'm not too thrilled about the 'ideas from forums' approach. Given the current state of U communities, it'll either be a pro-wasteland (UT2 w/ TAM) or a roleplay wasteland (Unreal 227 / UT2 RPG) and no one will be satisfied.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2014, 04:51:28 PM »

Oh, yeah, I forgot that part. It would turn into "Unreal Tournament CGS". And that would REALLY suck.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2014, 12:08:14 AM »

I'm also a bit puzzled by this:
- When the game is playable, it will be free. Not free to play, just free.
- We’ll eventually create a marketplace where developers, modders, artists and gamers can give away, buy and sell mods and content. Earnings from the marketplace will be split between the mod/content developer, and Epic.  That’s how we plan to pay for the game.
So, unlike old-fashioned games, where you did buy the game and then create/get mods for free... now playing the base game will be free of charge, but you will have to pay to create/get mods? That sounds similar to "freemium" ("free-to-play"), clashing with the previous phrase.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2014, 05:17:02 AM »

If I understood that correctly, modders/mappers are allowed to choose whether to charge for their creations or not. You may find free stuff in the Marketplace.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2014, 09:43:40 PM »

Well, well, well, the UE forums became a wretched hive. At this point it's safe to say that a 12-year old is more mature and calm than the regular UT99 forumgoer veteran.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 07:28:15 PM »

and some of the smarter parts of the community are up in arms because Epic hired a community-killing aimbot coder.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: