Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: John Carmack departs from Id  (Read 14964 times)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« on: August 08, 2013, 11:38:01 AM »

id software lost company president Todd Hollenshead earlier this year, and just after the most recent QuakeCon legendary developer John Carmack has announced his departure. The blog for Oculus, the company behind the popular Oculus Rift VR headset, has this quote from Carmack:

I have fond memories of the development work that led to a lot of great things in modern gaming – the intensity of the first person experience, LAN and internet play, game mods, and so on. Duct taping a strap and hot gluing sensors onto Palmer’s early prototype Rift and writing the code to drive it ranks right up there. Now is a special time. I believe that VR will have a huge impact in the coming years, but everyone working today is a pioneer. The paradigms that everyone will take for granted in the future are being figured out today; probably by people reading this message. It’s certainly not there yet. There is a lot more work to do, and there are problems we don’t even know about that will need to be solved, but I am eager to work on them. It’s going to be awesome!

id’s twitter says that Carmack isn’t leaving, but it seems unlikely that a full-time job as Oculus’ CTO will provide Carmack with much time to work on id games.

Carmack is largely responsible for the free software releases of id software’s source code and their push for Linux support. Though the latter has been waning since Linux code slave Timothée Besset’s departure from the company in 2012.

Link
« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 05:40:09 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 04:44:54 PM »

So the title of this topic is incorrect?

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:39:25 PM »

id’s twitter says that Carmack isn’t leaving, but it seems unlikely that a full-time job as Oculus’ CTO will provide Carmack with much time to work on id games.

I'm not so sure...

(BTW, commited a mistake, fixing -.-)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2013, 02:43:15 PM »

OK, now it's official that he really left.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/11/22/doom-creator-john-carmack-officially-leaves-id-software

No Zenimax damage control here.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Ingesecition
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 05:04:49 AM »

Well it was a fun ride id. The original quake with glide/3fx changed gaming history forever. Good luck John with the Rift!

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2014, 04:46:32 PM »

Quake never had 3dfx Glide support.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 09:54:01 PM »

Of course, Zenimax is whining about it

Has me concerned over what they consider as 'know-how'...   literal Intellectual Property?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: