Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Killcams, maybe?  (Read 7227 times)
[ERROR_42]
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

If you can read this, then you don't need glasses

« on: June 25, 2014, 02:42:49 PM »

Just thinking out loud here.

After playing Openarena for a while (And still managing to suck at it) I'v come to think that killcams could be useful. Here are the benefits:

-Something to watch while waiting to respawn
-Can help n00bs like me develop a strategy by observing what they do
-Can help to find aimbots and other asshat hackers
-See yourself get gibbed again, for no reason.
-Why the hell not?

Whenever someone says "Use a mod" I cut myself. I've almost bled to death a couple of times (No, not really.)
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 04:25:40 PM »

That's actually a good idea. In Elimination/eCTF/LMS matches it could be useful, seeing as other gametypes have a very short time length between frag and respawn of a player.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:04 PM »

I'm a withstander of this idea also as it fits seamlessly with the Arena theme of OA.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
audovoice
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2014, 08:05:47 AM »

I am looking into something similar to this but I made a different post because it is not quite the same.

But related to kill cams anyone interested in this might want to read this post.

http://lists.ioquake.org/pipermail/ioquake3-ioquake.org/2010-April/004077.html

my semi related post is this one
http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=5011.0
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2014, 06:05:14 PM »

I think this could affect gameplay though.  To view a killcam properly you'd require a longer spawning time for forced respawns

I have no clear idea how CoD implements it however, despite being id Tech 3 and grandfathered into all future CoD games and offshoots (exception being the portable games) i'd think it's just some serverside microdemo buffer of every client being sent off to the killed player with the matching client.  Would require intense engine work to make that happen, as well as some cgame work to add traps to playback a requested demo, which would break the clients and require a protocol/version bump.

It's not technically a hinderance considering the target systems (P2 300 w/ Voodoo2 ~= Pi ~= probably some 6th gen consoles ~= core i3 BSD system playing this in Mesa rasterizer)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 06:10:04 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
sago007
Posts a lot

Cakes 62

Open Arena Developer

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2014, 06:18:00 AM »

In CoD you could skip the killkam by pressing the respawn-key. The default forcespawn in OpenArena i 20 seconds so there would be plenty of time.

The game already stores all player location for the last 40 frames (0.8 seconds). You would need to store all entities and not just players to be able to play it back (health etc should be ignored). i don't think any engine work is required. However the dead code is not that flexible. I remember having quite a challenge adding a free death cam to elimination.

There are nothing offending in my posts.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: