Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: capture (aka defend the flag and secure the flag) mode  (Read 11026 times)
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: August 10, 2014, 02:47:39 PM »

It's a game mode that have several names, depending on the game.

In Sauerbraten, that seems to be the first with a such game mode, it's capture, in Red Eclipse, it's defend-the-flag, and in Iron Fist (a game based on Red Eclipse) and ACR (AssaultCube Reloaded, an AssaultCube fork), it's secure-the-flag.

According to what I understood, the AC team is also developping this for AC.

Why not a such mode in OA ?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:31:45 AM »

An explaination about how that mode would work, for who has not played any of the games you mentioned?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 05:47:10 AM »

It's called Domination in the Quake series.
In my opinion, domination is a more stable variant than those of Cube Engine 2, although just classic capture and instacapture (doesn't exist anymore) are the most stable there (they just aren't played though).
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:27:50 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 07:27:35 AM »

IIRC it literally is domination, with flag models.  OA has this implemented already

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 03:40:06 PM »

I never played Quake.

What is sure, it's the Domination game mode of OA is very different. The main difference is the way to capture the bases/flags.

In domination, you capture a flag when you reach it.

In Capture and it's variants, you need to remain enough close from it enough time. While there is at least one player/bot of your team in this little zone, their presence fill a progress bar and more there are player of your team in more this bar fill rapidly, unless there also are at least the same number of ennemies in this zone. when the progress bar is full ,the base or the flag is captured or, depending on the case, uncaptured (a base already captured by an ennemy, in most variants, need to be uncaptured first).

This difference make the game very different.

About the effect on the ammunitions, it exists only in Sauerbraten and isn't part of what I suggest here.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 01:37:10 AM »

If I understood correctly your explaination, it's like Domination, but points aren't earned by having the flag of your colour as the time passes, but having more players than the other team nearby to it for a certain time instead. Right?
I think it may be implemented as an option (cvar-enabled variation) for Domination mode instead of as a completely new gametype (just like "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/CTF_Elimination#One_way_capture]elimination_ctf_oneway" option works), this way all existing Domination maps would already work with the new mode (and we would not require to add specific map rotation scripts/mappools, etc.).

If one wants, maybe the distance (in units) from the flag the game will consider as "scoring area" may be customizable by the server admin (or maybe not, if you want to avoid confusion).
About confusion, "capture" does not seem to me a very indicative name for this mode, maybe we may find a better name for the option...
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 01:43:11 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 06:49:28 AM »

If I understood correctly your explaination, it's like Domination, but points aren't earned by having the flag of your colour as the time passes, but having more players than the other team nearby to it for a certain time instead. Right?
I think it may be implemented as an option (cvar-enabled variation) for Domination mode instead of as a completely new gametype (just like "DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/CTF_Elimination#One_way_capture]elimination_ctf_oneway" option works), this way all existing Domination maps would already work with the new mode (and we would not require to add specific map rotation scripts/mappools, etc.).

If one wants, maybe the distance (in units) from the flag the game will consider as "scoring area" may be customizable by the server admin (or maybe not, if you want to avoid confusion).
About confusion, "capture" does not seem to me a very indicative name for this mode, maybe we may find a better name for the option...

I agree. The proposition sounds more like an option for DOM rather than a gameplay on its own.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 07:37:13 AM »

No, you earn points by the ammount of time you're possessing a base. However, if there are more players on the server; the time to earn points will be faster (due the chance of losing bases as more players do so).
Unlike Domination; each base spawns 1 kind of ammo (set by the map designer or picked at random)  while you start at spawning with 2 weapons (and 1/3 of their ammo), 100 armour and the default weapons (40 pistol rounds, 1 grenade).
You can get healthy when taking damage by health scattered around the map. There often are also powerups like a Quaddamage and some Healthboost (+10 health at any spawn), and most of the time about 2 Yellow Armour (sets armour to 200 regardless what you had before except if you already had 200).
The weapon which spawn at your base can be taken only by your team ans spawns about each 10 to 15 seconds (the amount of players on the server matters a lot here).
Further it's pretty much the same as Domination; you capture a base, defend it, kill your opponent, the end.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2014, 07:40:54 AM by Suicizer » Logged

asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2014, 03:45:18 AM »

Unlike Domination; each base spawns 1 kind of ammo (set by the map designer or picked at random)  while you start at spawning with 2 weapons (and 1/3 of their ammo), 100 armour and the default weapons (40 pistol rounds, 1 grenade).
[...]
The weapon which spawn at your base can be taken only by your team ans spawns about each 10 to 15 seconds (the amount of players on the server matters a lot here).

It's the the effect on the ammunitions I meant. In ACR, Red Eclipse and Iron Fist, it doesn't exist.
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 02:56:39 PM »

About the AC version, I found two threads about it on the AC forum :
* the original thread (now closed)
* the poll about the mode name (they choose domination)

I also downloaded the svn version of AC

According to what I understood, the gameplay will be the one of the Sauerbraten regen capture mode. However, in the version I downloaded, all the pickup items work normally but the bases doesn't work yet.

A new entity type, called "base" is used by this mode (it's first property, never set to zero, visibly is the capture zone radius (in cubes), the second, also never set to zero, seems to be the capture time, and the two others, always set to zero, seem to be unused)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »

About the AC version, I found two threads about it on the AC forum :
* the original thread (now closed)
* the poll about the mode name (they choose domination)

I also downloaded the svn version of AC

According to what I understood, the gameplay will be the one of the Sauerbraten regen capture mode. However, in the version I downloaded, all the pickup items work normally but the bases doesn't work yet.

A new entity type, called "base" is used by this mode (it's first property, never set to zero, visibly is the capture zone radius (in cubes), the second, also never set to zero, seems to be the capture time, and the two others, always set to zero, seem to be unused)

Well, they've thought more about the features on the parameters than eihrul did on Sauerbraten (it only has [regenerating weapon] [name of base] there; probably because you can cap the radius of the capture zone off by using a square brush called gameclip)...
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 05:26:10 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: