Print  
Author Topic: Hi  (Read 8803 times)
PicassoCT
Nub

Cakes 0

Hi
« on: August 23, 2014, 11:40:05 AM »

my name is Picasso.

I have allready dipped my feet into game-modding and making a little.  Actually more then a little. More on the too much side.

So I want to start a small side-project, that involves doing horrible stuff to a shooter.
I allready looked at the sauerbraten 2 engine,  but while it is technically impressive, there approach to level designing is quite horrible if you want to use standard tools (it involves the marching cube algorithm to fit whatever you created into octrees)

So what is the plan?
The Plan is to make a tdm-level and then glue tetris in 3d into it.

Simple rules.
If you touch the flag, you get to throw stones down.
If somebody else touches the flag, he replaces the guy who throws stones down and this guy appears in the lowest of the cubes.
If a layer is dissolved the team gets every brick as a kill.
The bases of both teams are on elevators, alwas keeping up with the highest brick.
No fency new weapons or models, actually no touching the source besides adding the tetris.

How can you help?
Tell me if there are major technical obsticles.
Detailed information on how to object collissions are handled would be particullarly nice.
I will produce the map,the bases, the flag and the brick.
Testplayers later when there is a working version.
Is there a IRC channel were people lurk who know the engine source?

Until then. Lets do this.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 11:43:33 AM by PicassoCT » Logged
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2014, 03:55:47 PM »

First major obstacle : you aren't clear at all. I don't understand your idea.

About the sources, I search them and I found DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page#Coding-wise_.26_other_stuff]this.
PicassoCT
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2014, 04:35:31 PM »

Thanks for replying. I will try to formulate more exact then.

The basic premise of this mod is to have regular team-deathmatch in a particular type of level.
The Level consists of a shaft, which is empty at the start, except for the flag, floating in mid-air above the shafts ground, which is covered in lava. Both teams have a base, which reside at opposite sides of the wall. Both bases are slowly climbing elevators, which can move up the shaft.

The first of the players to touch the flag, gets to controll the dropping of Tetris like stones (I call them bricks), which fly down the shaft, forming a gigantic tetrisgames, while the battle continues on the surface and within the hollowed out cubes. The Flag always changes position so that it resides on the highest, resting cube. Anyone touching the flag, replaces the current player in charge of dropping the bricks. The player loosing the tetris game is then respawned inside the lowest cube.

Just as in Tetris, in Turmalin a Layer should be able to be resolved, resulting in all the above existing Bricks to fall down. Imagine a Cube something inspired by the movie cube. Resolving a Layer yields a reward for the team whos player is currently in charge of dropping the bricks.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2014, 10:34:12 AM »

How can you help?
Tell me if there are major technical obsticles.
You'll need to write a Quake 3 mod or even modify the engine.

Detailed information on how to object collissions are handled would be particullarly nice.
https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/blob/master/code/qcommon/cm_trace.c and https://github.com/ioquake/ioq3/blob/master/code/server/sv_world.c might give you an idea. There is no documentation.

So you won't write any of the required code?

Is there a IRC channel were people lurk who know the engine source?
http://ioquake3.org/discussion/ or try to wake up the handful of OA devs here in the board.

This space is for rent.
PicassoCT
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2014, 11:24:17 AM »

So you won't write any of the required code?

of course i will. it was related to how i intend to use the time waiting for a answer (and i did use that time for that).
im just having trouble to get the whole thing to compile and work atm.

Im compiling under windows (horrible slow and would like to use np++ for editing) using the MSys-Bash.

When trying to run the executable it complains that SDL.dll is missing from my machine. Which is not true. Its in the libs folder of the source libsdl.dll.a
I also downloaded the lib no idea were to put it though. Help would be appreciated.
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2014, 11:32:22 AM »

In other words, you want to make a map with advanced features you didn't find in Sauerbraten nor in Open Arena.

I know the id Tech 3 (engine of Open Arena) less well than the Cube 2 Engine (engine of Sauerbraten) but it seems to be more feasable with the Cube 2 Engine.

In both cases, the main problems are the followings :
* the bases on elevators : the problem is make the entities, such as the player starts, follow the elevators.
* the falling structures (aka stone, bricks, etc...), of course.
* the control flag, thecnically a map specific item. I had something similar one of my old mod ideas in the past (it was map specific weapons and powerups, in cfg files, in addition of the standard items; I never made this mod).
PicassoCT
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 11:45:37 AM »

There Engine compiled and was well structured but there level editor was a mess.
Atleast it compiled out of the box.
Okay, i shall give it another try.
Goodbye.

Thx asmanel
« Last Edit: August 24, 2014, 12:01:00 PM by PicassoCT » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2014, 12:03:00 PM »

The only real problem I see is the map format limiting things like lighting on brush entities.  Cgame would also need a lot of tearing to handle player prediction on these tetromino blocks

Also close vertical action would be very cramped unless you made it a really HUGE level with a lot of access from the top.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
special
EXTREMELY SUSPICIOUS TROLL
Nub

Cakes -64556

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 07:39:41 PM »

vertical action should be ramed up your ass.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: