Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hi there (and tweaking hydronex2)  (Read 19986 times)
SavageX
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: September 20, 2014, 02:30:40 AM »

Hello there,

I thought that after all those years I should perhaps register here. I feel like I should spend some time working on maps again to ensure my craftsmanship in that area doesn't completely rot away.

I very much like how Neon_Knight turned hydronex into something with a much more advanced layout, and I started work on enhancing lighting and detail.

Nothing worth posting yet, so this is mostly a "hi!" and a big thank you to Neon_Knight Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2014, 12:01:21 AM »

hi

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2014, 09:23:21 AM »

Hello there,

I thought that after all those years I should perhaps register here. I feel like I should spend some time working on maps again to ensure my craftsmanship in that area doesn't completely rot away.

I very much like how Neon_Knight turned hydronex into something with a much more advanced layout, and I started work on enhancing lighting and detail.

Nothing worth posting yet, so this is mostly a "hi!" and a big thank you to Neon_Knight Smiley
I thought you were registered here. Tongue

All the thanks shouldn't go to me. You've done a very cool work with Hydro as well!
I'm currently planning on doing a version of Hydro for OA3, the upcoming OA reboot. Although I'm a very bad teamplayer (:/) and still have to learn how to properly teamwork (not to mention I have to still improve my mapping skills) it would be a good idea to do a joint work on that map. What do you think?

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
SavageX
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2014, 01:55:00 PM »

Oh, I would sure be delighted to approach this in a team Smiley

In my experience, this works best if mappers take turns working on the .map, as it's usually not easy to consolidate changes into one final .map if several mappers make changes concurrently. If a mapper ends his turn he'll provide the current sources to the next team member for further work and so forth.

Just so you have an idea on what I'm currently working on, I have attached a random current state. Changes so far:

• Reworked lighting in the outside area (not yet entirely happy), fancier skybox.
  • Overhauled the pool sections. Players now can exit the water without ramps. Lifts are provided as well.
  • One can exit the water via the cave above the quad damage. The heading the player enters the teleporter will determine what direction (red or blue) he'll face after teleport.
  • There's now underwater terrain, which looks much more natural.
  • Tried to come up with some more interesting brushwork for the sides of the center island.
  • Some brush and texture cleanup, but not finished yet. There are some badly shaped brushes due to CSG substract operations (those are evil).
  • Relaxed some overly steep ramps.
  • Moved the whole map a bit so that (0,0,0) indeed is in the center of the map. Helps working with the grid.
  • Beveled some corners to make things flow better visually.

... and stuff I forgot. Hope this looks okay so far.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 02:29:35 PM by SavageX » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 02:48:42 PM »

I'll take a look at it.
I was developing ideas for the OA3 version of Hydro as well. I'll sketch them when I can.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2014, 03:25:18 PM »

Tryed  Grin

Good job, but the map have some bugs  Tongue

Some invisible walls and non-solid crates.

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2014, 04:01:39 PM »

Oh yeah, be aware that the boxes in my hydros are just models with weaponclip brushes.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »

Why not just make them boxes?  If you needed them optimized then you could just func_group them or something.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 04:31:36 PM by fromhell » Logged

SavageX
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 09:23:02 AM »

Oh, I completely wasn't aware of the boxes being models instead of, e.g., detail brushes!

Of course, with the spawnflag value being set to 6 these models can be solid without manually clipping them, these models are simple enough for this.

Good catch!
SavageX
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2014, 10:41:54 AM »

So... it turns out that when moving the whole map to have it centered I did not move the clip and portal brushes. Yay, breakage!

A fixed version is enclosed, with some reworked lighting in the bunker structures.

edit: Oh, found some other things to clean up, will upload new version shortly

edit2: Updated.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 12:10:48 PM by SavageX » Logged
SavageX
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2014, 09:57:13 AM »

Btw, I would love to test my progress with some bots, and I successfully compiled https://github.com/TTimo/bspc

However, no matter how I compile the AAS, I get

^1Fatal: aas file maps/hydronex2-se.aas is out of date

Now, for another fork of bspc there seems to be a proper bug report: https://github.com/bnoordhuis/bspc/issues/6

The checksum calculation is incompatible to new ioquake versions, because the CM_LoadMap function changed (deps/qcommon/cm_load.c and deps/qcommon/md4.c). The aas files are not loaded by ioquake because of wrong checksums.

How would one generate working AAS files on 64bit Linux? (Does ioquake3 really do checksums differently from vanilla Q3? Wouldn't that be a bug?)

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:15:10 AM by SavageX » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2014, 10:11:56 AM »

Deleting the older .aas file and recreating it again?

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2014, 10:13:18 AM »

-bsp2aas switch?

SavageX
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2014, 10:15:36 AM »

Ah, there's a solution:

https://github.com/neogeographica/bspc/commit/8aa16e1986a1ac93f5992e144552eccab27035c1

edit: Works very nicely. I'm still impressed by the Q3 bots, btw.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 10:19:28 AM by SavageX » Logged
SavageX
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 12:00:48 PM »

Okay, so here's a somewhat playable version with bot support.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: