Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Unsupported Protocol Code?  (Read 19336 times)
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« on: October 06, 2014, 10:53:25 AM »

Hey there,

After I've tried to get into some OA games lately, I've noticed the next error which made me disconnect from the server after trying to actually connect to the servers:
"Unsupported Protocol Code:
302:
http://dl.dropbox.com/U/61891092/furious1/vm1.pk3"
and
"Unsupported Protocol Code:
302:
http://dl.dropbox.com/U/61891092/oaplus/vm1.pk3"

The servers are called:
"Custom Maps 1"
"Custom Maps 2"
"Open Arena PHI++ Europe"

And have as ip-address (plus port):
"107.170.30.156:29001"
"95.85.17.27:29001"
"95.85.17.27:28356"

It seems like they are from 1 and the same person and there are always people on the servers, but somehow you can't reach them when autodownloading is on.
So is it my mistake and I could fix it myself or are those servers just messing around with default OA?

P.S.
This doesn't happen on defrag servers or any other server actually.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:02:37 AM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Aozora
Nub

Cakes 2

Angel

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 03:08:46 PM »

Hello,

Strangely, dl urls lead to dropbox errors (404 or 400)...it's probably due to a server misconfiguration.

The url to the pk3 file mentioned in that thread is still working: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61891092/oaplus/vm1.pk3
[copy to oaplus folder in the home directory (~/.openarena/oaplus or %AppData%\OpenArena\oaplus).]

It looks like the server has bots listed as players, like Lt-Joe or UnnamedPlayer (name as Furious-{#number} when joined), and there are at least always 2 spectators (on Phi++ Europe).
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/95.85.17.27:28356/

Damage model and physics differ from vanilla...It feels a bit strange when playing on these servers in the first time.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 05:01:21 PM »

Hello,

Strangely, dl urls lead to dropbox errors (404 or 400)...it's probably due to a server misconfiguration.

The url to the pk3 file mentioned in that thread is still working: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/61891092/oaplus/vm1.pk3
[copy to oaplus folder in the home directory (~/.openarena/oaplus or %AppData%\OpenArena\oaplus).]

It looks like the server has bots listed as players, like Lt-Joe or UnnamedPlayer (name as Furious-{#number} when joined), and there are at least always 2 spectators (on Phi++ Europe).
http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/95.85.17.27:28356/

Damage model and physics differ from vanilla...It feels a bit strange when playing on these servers in the first time.

Your link doesn't seems to work of the thread.
As the servers mocks with Open Arena (messes with the download system and even locating bots correctly) why are they still supported in the server list? Can't they be wiped out? It's a pretty big turn off for newcomers (but actually for anyone) when trying to connect to servers which do appear as if there are people around while they can't even connect to it and if they do, all they meet are some bots (even after setting showing bots on servers to off).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 06:55:40 PM by Suicizer » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2014, 08:17:02 PM »

well that's disappointing to see UT syndrome affecting OA...

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014, 12:58:05 AM »

There was some error in the markup of that link. Try this way: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4891.0
As the servers mocks with Open Arena (messes with the download system and even locating bots correctly) why are they still supported in the server list? Can't they be wiped out?
We do not have control over Master Server. It is run by third-party (deathmask.net).

The only thing I think we may do is to try to contact those game server admins and warn them about their servers' problems.
Unfortunately, I see no indication about how to contact those game server owners, in those servers' pages (sometimes admins put a custom "sets" variabale which mentions their email or their website, but this seems not the case). I fear the only hope is to connect to that server and write messages directly there, in hope the admin may see them... but I don't know how much is that likely to happen. Undecided

What's "UT syndrome"? Badly managed servers/mods ruining players' experience?
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 01:01:30 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014, 03:52:31 AM »

There was some error in the markup of that link. Try this way: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=4891.0
As the servers mocks with Open Arena (messes with the download system and even locating bots correctly) why are they still supported in the server list? Can't they be wiped out?
We do not have control over Master Server. It is run by third-party (deathmask.net).

The only thing I think we may do is to try to contact those game server admins and warn them about their servers' problems.
Unfortunately, I see no indication about how to contact those game server owners, in those servers' pages (sometimes admins put a custom "sets" variabale which mentions their email or their website, but this seems not the case). I fear the only hope is to connect to that server and write messages directly there, in hope the admin may see them... but I don't know how much is that likely to happen. Undecided

What's "UT syndrome"? Badly managed servers/mods ruining players' experience?

Deathmask.net may be a third party masterserver, bur that shouldn't mean the server browser of OA could ignore such servers? They aren't meant for vanilla OA after all. So perhaps a setting to make servers not appear in your server list would be great (although they would still appear for newcomers).
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 05:24:22 AM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 06:30:40 AM »

Deathmask.net may be a third party masterserver, bur that shouldn't mean the server browser of OA could ignore such servers? They aren't meant for vanilla OA after all. So perhaps a setting to make servers not appear in your server list would be great (although they would still appear for newcomers).

Integrated server browser of Q3 has got some limitations (e.g. it does not show ip:port of servers, "favorites" management is not intuitive...)... I hope OA3 one (OA3 will show very different menus) may fix some of its limits, but I think Fromhell has not posted videos or images about it yet... so I cannot predict anything at the moment.

The ability for users to create a "blacklist" of servers which one may want hide from the list (with an apposite "show/hide/include blacklisted" button?) may be an interesting new feature for it...
« Last Edit: October 07, 2014, 06:39:43 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
dkfurious
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2014, 02:53:09 PM »

As english is not my native language, please excuse me for any errors.

Clarifying some points that were placed here:

1. Openarena Phi and customMaps servers ARE openarena servers.
2. Furious mod is a quake3 mod (wrote by me), adapted for OpenArena. And of course is differente from vanilla openarena.
3. The problem mentioned in this post (unsupported 302 protocol code) has nothing do with the my servers or their settings, it is a problem between the OpenArena for Windows and Dropbox. So that the same occurs in Custom Ciggaweed server and others. The trouble don't occur in Linux.
4. The pk3s needed to play on my servers were placed now on my own server (www.dkfurious.com) and the server configuration was updated.
5. As stated, the servers have bots. These bots are there to provide some entertainment while waiting for human players. As they enter, the bots are out. The one to get is always the ltjoe.
6. I don't understand how my servers mocks with openarena. Many quake3 players are now playing OpenArena due to my servers. I am an enthusiast of the game and on my forum has posts about OpenArena, including links to the official game page.
7. I don't see "UT syndrome affecting OA"  because of my servers. Unless you think that my contribution is not welcome.

Finally, for those who can not download the files:

http://www.furious.com/downloads/furious1/customMaps1.pk3
http://www.furious.com/downloads/furious1/customMaps2.pk3
http://www.furious.com/downloads/furious1/vm1.pk3
http://www.furious.com/downloads/oaplus/vm1.pk3

Thank you all for your attention !
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 07:45:11 PM »

4. The pk3s needed to play on my servers were placed now on my own server (www.dkfurious.com) and the server configuration was updated.

Finally, for those who can not download the files:

http://www.furious.com/downloads/furious1/customMaps1.pk3
http://www.furious.com/downloads/furious1/customMaps2.pk3
http://www.furious.com/downloads/furious1/vm1.pk3
http://www.furious.com/downloads/oaplus/vm1.pk3

Try those links instead;

But text/plain is just plain wrong.

5. As stated, the servers have bots.
6. I don't understand how my servers mocks with openarena.
Bots with fake pings are certainly annoying. So are fake spectators.
Plus your mod seems to cause my ioquake3 to segfault after a few minutes/seconds.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:54:29 PM by grey matter » Logged

This space is for rent.
dkfurious
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2014, 06:25:50 PM »

Plus your mod seems to cause my ioquake3 to segfault after a few minutes/seconds.

Hard to believe it's my mod. You do not have to download the qagame.qvm nor ui.qvm, which are the main source of segfaults in previous releases of ioquake3. This is the first time someone says that, with the mod running after almost three years, in both OpenArena as in Quake3. I think before you say that is my mod you must have obviously tested other possibilities, is not it?

Could you post more details? Your ioquake3 was compiled by yourself ? if yes, with optimizations ? Could you post the log? Your OS ?

« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 06:33:28 PM by dkfurious » Logged
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2014, 12:59:50 PM »

Could you post more details? Your ioquake3 was compiled by yourself ? if yes, with optimizations ? Could you post the log? Your OS ?
After a quick test it seems like one or several of my 200+ pk3 files are causing the issue. First time I'm getting a segfault in all the years though. Unfortunately I tried moving a few to/from my backup folder and I can no longer reproduce the issue.
What happened was that after a few seconds or sometimes minutes on your EU server I'd always get a segfault. Could never play longer than about 5 minutes. Can't really say whether a specific action seemed to cause the crash.

Either way;
  • emerged games-fps/quake3-9999 from local overlay
  • CFLAGS="-march=native -O2 -pipe"
  • 3.14.14-gentoo x86_64

This space is for rent.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2014, 04:02:17 PM »

As english is not my native language, please excuse me for any errors.

Clarifying some points that were placed here:

1. Openarena Phi and customMaps servers ARE openarena servers.
2. Furious mod is a quake3 mod (wrote by me), adapted for OpenArena. And of course is differente from vanilla openarena.
3. The problem mentioned in this post (unsupported 302 protocol code) has nothing do with the my servers or their settings, it is a problem between the OpenArena for Windows and Dropbox. So that the same occurs in Custom Ciggaweed server and others. The trouble don't occur in Linux.
5. As stated, the servers have bots. These bots are there to provide some entertainment while waiting for human players. As they enter, the bots are out. The one to get is always the ltjoe.
6. I don't understand how my servers mocks with openarena. Many quake3 players are now playing OpenArena due to my servers. I am an enthusiast of the game and on my forum has posts about OpenArena, including links to the official game page.
7. I don't see "UT syndrome affecting OA"  because of my servers. Unless you think that my contribution is not welcome.

1. Make them work for everyone then.
2. Be sure to notify this in the description of the server. We can't smell that it's a mod.
3. It certainly has something to do with your server as you already mentioned the problem. There still is a majority of people which use Windows around the world (exclusive of the fact they play OA), so they shouldn't be cut off. Use some other host to download your packs than dropbox if Windows clients have issues with it.
4. The packs seems to be downloadable. Good job; about time though.
5. Your server which contains bots shouldn't appear if the option of "only humans" is on. Your server should be filtered just like the rest of the servers. They should also not stay spectator (why for sake should they?). Respect that.
6. Any names? I'm not one of it.
7. If you're mocking with the general rules of servers (whether it is on OA, ioquake3 or Q3A), then you certainly aren't welcome in my opinion. You aren't contributing anything to vanilla OA other than promoting some personal mod which happens to be based on OA.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 11:45:31 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 04:36:40 PM »

After trying out the server, "Custom Maps 2", I noticed the downloading takes quite long (see the screenshots for example). Although it's a huge pack to download (can't it be downloaded in parts?); it takes more than an hour to finally download it and get playing (it eventually drops down to 8kb/sec). The auto-downloading shouldn't be treated that way; it's rather meant to quickly download a map or some pieces of content and wait for only about a minute at max (as other players would have started fragging already).

P.S.
The server called "Open Arena PHI++ Europe" seems to work OK. Probably due the fact you don't have to download a lot of content.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2014, 04:49:42 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 02:06:52 AM »

Although it's a huge pack to download (can't it be downloaded in parts?);
I don't know a way to "split" downloads, other than physically dividing into separate pk3s (which, of course, may have some side effects, depending from what you are working on! And total download time would be the same, I can guess...)... However, with a fast HTTP server, there should be no need to use small pk3s.
it takes more than an hour to finally download it and get playing (it eventually drops down to 8kb/sec).
Looking at those speeds, it seems to be using the "slow" download mode, which is capped at "rate/sv_maxrate" values (absolutely inadequate nowadays, unless the mod is just a few KB)...
Is it possible that there is some problem with the HTTP redirection path the server indicated, and so the system is falling back to using the old-style (slow) UDP download to get the files?
See also: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Autodownload

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2014, 10:39:49 AM »

Although it's a huge pack to download (can't it be downloaded in parts?);
I don't know a way to "split" downloads, other than physically dividing into separate pk3s (which, of course, may have some side effects, depending from what you are working on! And total download time would be the same, I can guess...)... However, with a fast HTTP server, there should be no need to use small pk3s.
it takes more than an hour to finally download it and get playing (it eventually drops down to 8kb/sec).
Looking at those speeds, it seems to be using the "slow" download mode, which is capped at "rate/sv_maxrate" values (absolutely inadequate nowadays, unless the mod is just a few KB)...
Is it possible that there is some problem with the HTTP redirection path the server indicated, and so the system is falling back to using the old-style (slow) UDP download to get the files?
See also: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Autodownload

Well, on some other servers; you download each map separately (I thought on some server that uses excessive plus?).

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: