Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Team Fortress mod  (Read 11603 times)
tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: November 20, 2014, 03:13:10 PM »

I was thinking that Q3F or OpenArenaFortress are underrated, so I want to discuss how could these be reborn and how would those be implemented in multiplayer. IMO they should and I really want to see Q3F as played mod or atleast OAF not only becuase TF is a classic and requires team play and role playing that is not seen in CTF and Q3F is already made, tested it in OA and works fine but cant find servers.
What do you think?
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 03:37:06 PM »

I was thinking that Q3F or OpenArenaFortress are underrated, so I want to discuss how could these be reborn and how would those be implemented in multiplayer. IMO they should and I really want to see Q3F as played mod or atleast OAF not only becuase TF is a classic and requires team play and role playing that is not seen in CTF and Q3F is already made, tested it in OA and works fine but cant find servers.
What do you think?

Well I think this was achieved before: http://openarena.ws/board/index.php?topic=2134.0 but that was 2008 and I did not really see any progress from there. I think OA(3)F could replicate the QuakeWorldTeamFortress (QWTF) but with what TFC has added. Beside though, we just need someone who can program a mod and step up to make something like this for OA or OA3.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 05:35:59 PM »

I think you should start cloning yourself to find that amount of people to actually play Q3TF. The servers are pretty empty with only about 8 people at max (being very generous in numbers).

I wish you good luck any how.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 09:26:00 PM »

I dont see anyone playing  Tongue , and TFC Is still alive, the only thing that we need is a player base, becuase Q3F is already complete, only need community support.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 08:14:57 AM »

My personal favorite is the old TF 2.5 version from May 1997, I felt TF was at its peak then.

TF2 being free also changes this landscape a bit - remember that there's also Enemy Territory Fortress which is free, and that doesn't hold much to TF2.

Years ago I wanted to make a free TF clone myself called XDF and it would have been anime styled.   Many, many concepts were done.  Little coding implementation was done.  It would have used Darkplaces and CSQC for a lot of things

and when I mean TF2, I mean the vanill agame of TF2 played on a Valve server.  I don't refer to fancruft. ugh, no one wants TF with ponies vs eengineer bullet sponges that shout loud in backwards named after a stretched mouth's appearance to female genitalia
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 09:05:29 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 10:20:37 PM »

I like TF style, is addictive thats the reason why I made this post, but I fear that Q3F is forgotten, so thats the reason of this post, anyway there is a way of making OA a comunnity that supports mods like this, or it has to be OA Fortress? No game should be forgotten and less a gem like this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 06:38:51 PM »

I don't remember if personman made its mod GPLd (perhaps he did, I have to check my files to see if I have the source code as well) but if he did, you could modify his mod to suit your needs.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 09:34:02 PM »

I don't remember if personman made its mod GPLd (perhaps he did, I have to check my files to see if I have the source code as well) but if he did, you could modify his mod to suit your needs.

I don't think I can do anything, my idea was getting support, so OA community could play Q3F and experience the game, but is better to make OAF maybe it could use Q3F as a base, I don't know, but the point was to bring TF modality into OA.

EDIT: Is probably that someone knows the idea?, I cant helpt too much until now, but I would like to talk about concept and design, but for now I think that sticking with Q3F is the solution.
EDIT 2: I will make a new post, regarding the ideas of a possible OAF, tlaking about concepts and design even about models and mechanics.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:53:00 PM by tflover » Logged
personman
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2015, 08:11:25 AM »

My OAF mod is totally GPL, do whatever you wish with it, but please GPL it. I'd love to see someone improve it, a patch against the open arena source is in the mod PK3 file. I was a C newbie. Spent like a couple weeks looking at code before I touched a thing. While the basic functionality works, it seems sloppy to me. Can't fault me too much. Tongue
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 08:17:38 AM by personman » Logged
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: