Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Give bots the ability to strafe jump  (Read 10645 times)
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 07, 2014, 07:01:02 AM »

Currently, the bots are slower than human players because they don't know strafe jumping, but if you give them the ability to do that, then they will maneuver around the map much faster.
This is often very useful for bigger maps and will make them harder to aim and follow.
I would say that you should give this ability to Hardcore and Nightmare bots, but not the difficulty below that.
It would also give Single Player more and better replay ability as well as bots being more useful in practices or if your Internet been cut off but don't want slow and easy to blast away bots.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 07:52:57 PM »

It would be cool (and definitely useful) if someone could code this.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 05:10:32 PM »

It would be cool (and definitely useful) if someone could code this.

Actually it would be awesome and boost OA3's reputation and less of a "Q3A clone". fromhell should do this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 05:27:25 PM »

I shouldn't.  Bot AI code scares me.  Then again it scares everyone

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »

quake3-brainworks got some of this, but it's licensed under Q3 Mod SDK EULA / GPLv3.

This space is for rent.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2014, 03:27:30 AM »

Who did some work on bots before? Graion Dilach maybe? It's a long time I don't see him around here... however, I'm going to send him a PM pointing to this thread...

Of course, I don't think that so easy. Strafe jumps can be used to get platforms more distant, but reachibility is pre-calcultated during AAS compiling, so I don't know if bots will ever be able to get that (and doing that may somehow "break" bot behavior in some maps, if bots would became capable of reaching places where they were not supposed to go). However, at least strafejumping for moving around the map faster may be possible and acceptable...

I can guess the feature could be enabled or disabled via a cvar, lust like "bot_rocketjump" does exist.

PS: Sent PM to Graion, and added an entry for this to the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Wishlist]Wishlist wiki page.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 03:42:39 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2014, 10:53:56 AM »

Who did some work on bots before? Graion Dilach maybe? It's a long time I don't see him around here... however, I'm going to send him a PM pointing to this thread...

Of course, I don't think that so easy. Strafe jumps can be used to get platforms more distant, but reachibility is pre-calcultated during AAS compiling, so I don't know if bots will ever be able to get that (and doing that may somehow "break" bot behavior in some maps, if bots would became capable of reaching places where they were not supposed to go). However, at least strafejumping for moving around the map faster may be possible and acceptable...

I can guess the feature could be enabled or disabled via a cvar, lust like "bot_rocketjump" does exist.

PS: Sent PM to Graion, and added an entry for this to the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Wishlist]Wishlist wiki page.

Well I wish he replies and do improve the bots, because that would be great! Oh and also link to this thread in the wiki.
quake3-brainworks got some of this, but it's licensed under Q3 Mod SDK EULA / GPLv3.
Anything we could do about it?

I shouldn't.  Bot AI code scares me.  Then again it scares everyone

You should at least try Smiley
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 10:56:41 AM by Marterzon » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2014, 11:02:07 AM »

I thought Graion only worked on the chat personality and response stuff?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2014, 11:14:11 AM »

Well if that's the case, he could turn that knowledge to strafing responses? After all, the bots isn't that much different from Q3:A...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 08:18:08 AM »

IIRC (please correct me if I'm wrong):
- Most stuff about "new bot chat personality" was made by Chaoticsoldier, with some help from Graion. Unfortunately, there were some problems with that stuff (red error messages in console during gameplay with bots, maybe?), and so it has not been included in OA 0.8.8. I don't know if current SVN/GIT repos do include that stuff or not.
- Graion did the patch (originally a small .pk3 to use with your 0.8.5 installation) that allowed to use third-party bots designed for Q3A in OA. Such stuff has been integrated into OA 0.8.8, so third-party bots designed for Q3 do work in OA (although you can occasionally see some warnings in console when they are in... before that change, they were not able to select weapons and a repeated error message flooded console).
- Graion did the patch which allows to play DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/ModCompat/ARQ]ARQ mod in OA (that was designed for 0.8.5, I hope it still works with 0.8.8).
I don't know if such kind of experience can be useful for things like teaching bots to strafe jump or fixing the bugs in their usage of grappling hook... Sure, chatting it much different than moving around the arena!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:31:12 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: