Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA3 Oculus Rift support - getting it ready for 2015 release...  (Read 13436 times)
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« on: January 02, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »

Would be awesome if you could add support to it and put OA3 in virtual reality mode! Also if you managed to make ioquake do this, then... JACKPOT!!!

PS: I thought of it maybe cause I've watched SAO...
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 04:25:04 PM by Marterzon » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 02:31:35 PM »

While that would be awesome in theory, it wouldn't be me implementing this as I don't have one.

Some of the immersive parts are there though, like the cg_cameraEyes thing for that 'full body'

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 02:55:11 PM »

While that would be awesome in theory, it wouldn't be me implementing this as I don't have one.

Some of the immersive parts are there though, like the cg_cameraEyes thing for that 'full body'

>Smiley can't wait to use that in the future! Evil VRFPS HEAR I CAME
Dis will be too real: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLXVinyXjgA
XD I'm only joking, but would like to try it :>

PS: could you show/screenshot what cg_cameraEyes do in OA3? thnks
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 03:06:26 PM by Marterzon » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 03:23:17 PM »

Like this

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 03:34:45 PM »

Like this

This is awesome! I think you could do an implement on 0.8.8 currently (name it like 0.8.9 or something) and implement what we had already (resolution fixes, add the /cg_cameraEyes capability and such) but not the textures, models, details (you know what I mean), so it's basically 0.8.8 but with those add and fixes. Not sure if you think this is a good idea, but we haven't had a proper update for a long time... you could also remove that MissionPack even it's just a fix up of 0.8.alien no use and it's really a joke now since it had been implemented.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 05:21:35 PM »

The ioquake3 guys are the ones which should implement such a thing. OA's engine (and game, IICR) code feeds directly from there IICR.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Marterzon
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 06:58:00 PM »

The ioquake3 guys are the ones which should implement such a thing. OA's engine (and game, IICR) code feeds directly from there IICR.

But then when???
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 11:33:38 AM »

But then when???
What about asking in ioquake3 bugzilla?
https://bugzilla.icculus.org/buglist.cgi?bug_status=__open__&content=&no_redirect=1&order=Importance&product=ioquake3&query_format=specific

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 01:02:01 PM »

From what I see the Oculus SDK is still in beta and lacks a complete OpenGL example.
There are also additional usage restrictions, e.g.
Quote from: Oculus Developer Guide
All applications that use the Oculus Rift must integrate code that displays a health and safety warning when
the device is used. This warning will appear for a short amount of time when the Rift first displays a VR scene;
it can be dismissed by pressing a key or tapping on the headset.
I'm not sure whether you could integrate all of the required device setup in a new renderer lib or whether you'd have to touch the ioq3 core.

There are also a bunch of practices which do not really work well with a somewhat fast first-person shooter;
Quote from: Oculus Best Practices Guide
Some games require a “zoom” mode for binoculars or sniper scopes. This is extremely tricky in
VR, and must be done with a lot of caution, as a naive implementation of zoom causes
disparity between head motion and apparent optical motion of the world, and can cause a lot
of discomfort. Look for future blog posts and demos on this.
    • When self-motion is required, slower movement speeds (walking/jogging pace) are most
      comfortable for new users.
    • Keep any form of acceleration as short and infrequent as possible.
    • User and camera movements should never be decoupled.
    • Don’t use head bobbing in first person games.
    • Experiences designed to minimize the need for moving backwards
      or sideways are most comfortable.
    • Beware situations that visually induce strong feelings of motion, such as stairs or
      repeating patterns that move across large sections of the screen

This space is for rent.
    Marterzon
    Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 03:07:37 PM »

From what I see the Oculus SDK is still in beta and lacks a complete OpenGL example.
    There are also additional usage restrictions, e.g.
    Quote from: Oculus Developer Guide
    All applications that use the Oculus Rift must integrate code that displays a health and safety warning when
    the device is used. This warning will appear for a short amount of time when the Rift first displays a VR scene;
    it can be dismissed by pressing a key or tapping on the headset.
    I'm not sure whether you could integrate all of the required device setup in a new renderer lib or whether you'd have to touch the ioq3 core.

There are also a bunch of practices which do not really work well with a somewhat fast first-person shooter;
    Some games require a “zoom” mode for binoculars or sniper scopes. This is extremely tricky in
    VR, and must be done with a lot of caution, as a naive implementation of zoom causes
    disparity between head motion and apparent optical motion of the world, and can cause a lot
    of discomfort. Look for future blog posts and demos on this.
      • When self-motion is required, slower movement speeds (walking/jogging pace) are most
        comfortable for new users.
      • Keep any form of acceleration as short and infrequent as possible.
      • User and camera movements should never be decoupled.
      • Don’t use head bobbing in first person games.
      • Experiences designed to minimize the need for moving backwards
        or sideways are most comfortable.
      • Beware situations that visually induce strong feelings of motion, such as stairs or
        repeating patterns that move across large sections of the screen

Hmm, we could add 'motion-blur', so that it emulate what happens when you turn your head around in real life like in the game. We could also use higher default fov for people using the headset, like 120 fov. In terms of movement, we could add a movement effect that reduces eye-straining when doing bunny hop, strafing or running. Really that's all I could say about reducing the risk on VR for OA.
      Pages: [1]
        Print  

Jump to: