Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I *love* Open Arena~!  (Read 26504 times)
NeoGeo64
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: February 07, 2015, 08:53:02 PM »

I absolutely love this game.  I am running this game on Linux Mint 17.1.  My PC specs are as follows:  Intel i7 4770k 3.4GHz (quad core with HT, so 8 cores for Linux to use), AMD Radeon HD 7570 w/ 1GB RAM, 8GB RAM & 1TB HDD.  I am running the free X.org drivers because the official AMD drivers cause a massive system-crashing memory leak on Mint.  OA is a great game and I enjoy it so much.  I don't game a lot but I do like to have a couple games installed for fun.  The fact that it's free is amazing.

You can find me on the 'CiggaWeed' server and the 'OpenArena On Steroids' servers (and sometimes others) all hours of the day.  I play under the name NeoGeo64.  I'll pwn you, though.  hahaha

Thanks for the great game, folks.  LINUX RULES!
NeoGeo64
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 10:12:55 PM »

No one else out there to share some OA love?
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 03:17:55 AM »

No one else out there to share some OA love?

I would if it had a hole in it.
No, just kidding. Open Arena is great, although I'm not font off all those wacky mods (they kind of ruin it for me).

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
JoeMaro
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2015, 02:21:02 AM »

<3 OPEN ARENA <3
<3 AFTERSHOCK <3
wing0
Half-Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2015, 08:35:24 AM »

L!ve* is life - na na nana na
papasfritas
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2015, 11:18:46 PM »

yah I'm liking OA quite a bit...gotta beef up my "skills" though  Grin

devs could maybe integrate qleffects in next version? it's not sikkmod but looks nice / does not seem to cause any multiplay issues:

https://code.google.com/p/qeffects-gl/
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2015, 01:03:55 AM »

That wouldn't be necessary as OA already has a postprocess shader system itself, which is even in 0.8.8 already in some form (though only shaders in PK3s can work with r_postprocess)

OA3's current postprocess shaders involve making the image more 'period correct' for its own engine technology Smiley since I believe plastering on bloom, sharpness and SSAO doesn't make a fixed function game look better.  though it could use a gaussian bloom shader in addition to the old fixed function bloom techniques and there could be FBO support so things like cross sparklies can happen on water surfaces and anything with a flareshader
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 01:48:53 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
personman
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2015, 07:07:09 PM »

I particularly love this game because I can have crazy fun action. And it is rewarded. Plus this game can run on basically anything with 3d hardware. I think it's just fun!
NetMassimo
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2015, 12:26:51 PM »

Open Arena was my first open source FSP. I discovered it several years ago, a stroke of luck while I was searching Quake 3 Arena maps. Since then, I played many other videogames but I always come back to Open Arena because it's a fantastic game!

Ciao Smiley
Massimo
papasfritas
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »

but my bloom goes to eleven.  Cheesy  it was a little much so I toned it down; still like the qleffects though.
water more like sauerbratten's and maybe some alien arena type distortion / shaders would be cool (although alien arena went way overboard with the flash effects) and... ragdolls?      to reiterate, basic game=A+, ty
Capsaicin
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 08:32:20 PM »

OA's great fun. I never was much of a fan of baseq3 or anything like it and preferred to play total conversion mods instead--urban terror, tremulous, true combat and western q3 mainly. baseoa, on the other hand, is very enjoyable to play online. I love it too!  Smiley
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »

I also loved OA, until I wanted to create new maps myself.

Radiant wasn't easy to learn and there was less documentation than today. I tried to make maps diring a time then I rapidly abandoned. It was too hard for me.

I never made any OA map and I'm not longer an active player, because if the gameplay and the graphism are nice, mapping for this game is hard (or, at least, hard to learn)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 04:42:22 PM »

My maps are nothing more than box maps, but i've only recently started to reget the hang of mapping, even though my designs aren't very jump friendly yet

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2015, 09:20:25 PM »

All of this reminds me that one of the many tasks I have to complete is to finish the Mapping manual...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
NeoGeo64
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2016, 07:23:00 PM »

Linux is the best platform to play OpenArena on.  What do you all think?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2016, 10:07:04 PM »

I think you're wrong.  Windows 98SE is the best platform to play OpenArena on. punched

hwpplayer1
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

hwpplayer1

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2016, 06:18:17 AM »

Hi friends , i need to tell about myself and then i'll tell you my opinions about OpenArena. I study system programming , programming languages , electronics , other areas of computing , science and philosophy. I have a nickname and community which means a person who ask questions why and try to make a clear and safe way with clever mind for things to be done.

In my opinion OpenArena is still great game to play and i enjoy and i fear when i play it because it is a powerful game Smiley. Especially when i compare it with other games. But innovation is something that you can't stop to try things that you see someone else , somewhere else.

For example i played Quake4 and it was a different experience. I mean even we have limited sources we can create new models for this game. For this now i offer a simple solution : let's think about characters and stories depend on characters. Then we should configure characters that some characters are slow , some are fearless , some are very clever etc. That means some kind of artificial intelligence.

By the way OpenArena means "Er Meydanı" in Turkish a place where a person shows his/her bravery and abilities.

Have a great day , see you later.

hwpplayers
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: