Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Music  (Read 21825 times)
dgkorth
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: October 16, 2014, 04:24:30 PM »

I would like to contribute music to Open Arena.
If any of my previously made music can be of use, I can post the .MOD files.  Here is my soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/mahoushoujosayaka.  I made Lurid, Dancing With Turtles, and Portamento in Milky Tracker with sounds synthesized from scratch, so I think they are fine legally.  Other tracks were made in Ableton or recorded with other musicians, so I'm not sure about their legality.
I'm not expecting any of these to be video game soundtrack material, so I'll compose some new stuff.  Would music in the style of Half-Life 2 be good?  I'm thinking slow, ambient, non-obtrusive melodies over driving bass and percussion.

//りんは わたしの べ。
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 07:11:38 PM »

What about something Unreal Tournament-like?  As in a mix of themes variating between orchestral and that mid-to-late-90s D&B and techno or so... which would suit the file format itself pretty well.

Slow does work in some places like the main menu though.   OA3's new menu is predominantly blue with a wave effect on the background trying to harken back to several 2000 console games where the frontend had to be simple for loading times and vram usage

Smiley Disregard the current OA soundtrack and its genre Smiley   not saying Jute did a bad job,  it's not a fitting soundtrack.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 07:15:04 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
dgkorth
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2014, 09:01:00 PM »

I briefly listened to the Unreal Tournament 2003 soundtrack, and I know what you mean now.  I don't have the software or the know-how to produce nice orchestral music right now, but I can do some drum and bass.
I also listened to the music you linked to.  It gives me a much better idea of the title theme when I look at the opening menu of Open Arena.  I'm thinking something around 90bpm with choppy panning notes at an eighth note interval.  A simple bass line that uses octaves heavily would probably be good too.
I really liked the song from Armored Core.  Unfortunately, I am a bit too young to have been strongly influenced by these musical styles.  I'll try my best though.

//りんは わたしの べ。
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2014, 10:04:44 PM »

I briefly listened to the Unreal Tournament 2003 soundtrack, and I know what you mean now.  I don't have the software or the know-how to produce nice orchestral music right now, but I can do some drum and bass.
I'm referring to the first UT, not ut2003/04 or any other UT.  I never liked their soundtracks

revanic
VIP
Half-Nub

Cakes 4

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 11:18:04 PM »

The one released in 1999. UT99 as it may be called. Loved playing it from time to time.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2014, 04:23:56 AM »

What about something Unreal Tournament-like?  As in a mix of themes variating between orchestral and that mid-to-late-90s D&B and techno or so... which would suit the file format itself pretty well.

Slow does work in some places like the main menu though.   OA3's new menu is predominantly blue with a wave effect on the background trying to harken back to several 2000 console games where the frontend had to be simple for loading times and vram usage

Smiley Disregard the current OA soundtrack and its genre Smiley   not saying Jute did a bad job,  it's not a fitting soundtrack.

Is OA having soundtracks? I'm not hearing anything at the start.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2014, 04:58:19 AM »

Is OA having soundtracks? I'm not hearing anything at the start.
Menus don't have music (yet), but in 0.8.8 some musics have been added, and can be listen in some maps (I can't tell which now, considering I usually have speakers off). OACMP Volume 1 maps do use those 0.8.8 musics.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2014, 04:37:13 PM »

There's a bug in the released OA that has music broken after playing a level without music. This existed in ioq3 for years and was only just recently fixed by MAN_AT_ARMS.  This fix will be merged in OA's code tree shortly, since this even affects tracker music.

I should also repeat mentioning that OA3 is not a by-the-numbers clone, so no industrial rock will take place.  No offense to Sonic Mayhem (who did an awesome job on Q3)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 04:40:28 PM by fromhell » Logged

Cyrus the Guy
Nub

Cakes 0

The Last Control

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 01:59:19 PM »

On the topic of inspiration playlists, the original Deus Ex would be a good choice, mostly the battle tracks. The two games' soundtracks were composed by the same people, and has a similar vibe to it.

I mainly do freelance texture work. Not very good at making other assets.
What I do involves lots of layers, saving, GIMP, and Valve Time.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: