Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why are so many sounds distorted?  (Read 12764 times)
Hiradur
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: February 24, 2015, 06:55:47 AM »

Why are so many sounds distorted? Especially most weapon sounds which you hear more often than anything else are distorted. I believe most samples fit OA quite well but clipping makes them look poor.
I guess the samples got boosted in volume too much which lead to these distortions. So I wonder if the raw samples are still available. I tried to make my own samples but I didn't quite nail the punchy sound that I'd like the weapons to have. If the original samples were still available without distortions it might be better to just reprocess them properly.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 07:58:57 PM »

There are no raw samples. Most of the sounds were (badly) processed in a single track and were made with using a bad set of headphones which I replaced long ago.  Many of the sounds were compensated on the bad spatialization in the OpenAL driver.  The explosion was especially hard to do right because of that, explosions are always quiet or too bassy and still quiet.

I'm redoing the sounds in the reboot to avoid distortion and have more distinct sounds as well as not relying on Nexuiz as a sound resource anymore (Since that is apparently all SoundIdeas derived)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 08:03:46 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Hiradur
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2015, 04:39:59 PM »

Alright. I think the problem with explosions is the lack of dynamic range. They should be much louder than the other samples ingame. This can either be achieved by adjusting the game's code to play them louder than other samples or by having a loud sample for explosions while the other samples are not as loud in relation. The questions is if this is really what the playerbase wants since high dynamic range can be annoying (especially for neighbours).
What do you mean by "bad spatialization in the OpenAL driver"? I think OpenAL (Soft) offers the best positional audio (especially with HRTF turned on when using headphones) of all audio drivers I know (and I tried a lot).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: