Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Can't connect to local RA3 dedicated server  (Read 16357 times)
chefien
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 13, 2015, 01:44:43 AM »

Hi,

I'm trying to set up a local Rocket Arena 3 dedicated server. I'm using OS X.
I've grabbed the RA3 mod and extracted the "arena" folder into openarena-0.8.8. I've also put oa_ded.ub from OpenArena 0.8.8.app and the server.cfg from the arena mod at the open arena root.
I launch the dedicated server using the following command:
./oa_ded.ub +set fs_game arena +set vm_game 0 +set sv_pure 0 +set bot_enable 0 +set sv_punkbuster 0 +set dedicated 1 +set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg

It seems to work fine. When I launch the Open Arena 0.8.8 app, in the server list I see the RA3 dedicated server. I try to connect, it shows the "Awaiting gamestate message" but almost instantly it just brings me back to the main menu.

In the server console here's what I can read:
Code:
Client 0 connecting with 0 challenge ping
ClientUserinfoChanged: 0 n\UnnamedPlayer\t\0\model\sarge\hmodel\sarge\g_redteam\\g_blueteam\\c1\4\c2\5\hc\100\w\0\l\0\tt\0\tl\0\id\915962B8D8514947C25AE01D69FC4ED6
ClientConnect: 0
broadcast: print "UnnamedPlayer^7 connected\n"
broadcast: print "UnnamedPlayer^7 disconnected\n"
ClientDisconnect: 0

I unsuccessfully tried to enable automatic download.

Did I do something wrong? What did I miss?
I can post the content of server.cfg extracted from the RA3 mod if it may help.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 01:56:18 AM by chefien » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:23:18 AM »

I've also put oa_ded.ub from OpenArena 0.8.8.app and the server.cfg from the arena mod at the open arena root.
Why that? I thought .cfg files had to stay under DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Homepath]homepath\current_mod or basepath\current_mod, not in the same folder of the executables...

I launch the dedicated server using the following command:
./oa_ded.ub +set fs_game arena +set vm_game 0 +set sv_pure 1 +set bot_enable 0 +set sv_punkbuster 0 +set dedicated 1 +set net_port 27960 +exec server.cfg
I suppose "sv_punkbuster" is not necessary, considering OA binaries do not have support for it.
I'm not sure whether "vm_game 0" is necessary or not... and, in case it's necessary, is that enough? I do now have ma Mac. I'm sorry, I don't know about its usage, but searching for it here, I read there are also similar cvars "vm_cgame" and "vm_ui", which seem to have a part in PC/MAC mod support.

It seems to work fine. When I launch the Open Arena 0.8.8 app, in the server list I see the RA3 dedicated server. I try to connect, it shows the "Awaiting gamestate message" but almost instantly it just brings me back to the main menu.

In the server console here's what I can read..
Uhm... maybe one may try to get a more verbose output by temporary setting "developer 1"... Or you may post the output of the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console]console of the client machine, which may give some more clue (e.g.  \condump test.txt).

I unsuccessfully tried to enable automatic download.
This may very likely explain the reason why the client can't connect (if it cannot autodownload required files, it can't play). You may try again enabling autodownload on both client and server (see (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Automatic_downloading e.g. try "+set sv_allowdownload 1"), or manually copying required files (mostly, the "arena" mod folder, I can guess) to the client machine.

Did I do something wrong? What did I miss?
I can post the content of server.cfg extracted from the RA3 mod if it may help.
What happens without "+exec server.cfg"?
What happens if you run the server with baseoa instead of the mod?

PS: "sv_pure 0" is a risky option... what's the reason you set it?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:54:36 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
chefien
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2015, 07:10:13 AM »

Hi,

Thanks for the answers.
When I don't run exec server.cfg, the server doesn't appear in the Multiplayer server list.

I also only let .cfg files in mod directories. I used sv_allowdownload 1 and enabled automatic download in the game menu (can't access the console).
I didn't use sv_pure 0 or vm_game 0.

The problem remains. I used developer 1 on the server and here's the connection log:

Code:
SV packet 192.168.0.20 : getinfo
SV packet 192.168.0.20 : getchallenge
SV packet 192.168.0.20 : connect
SVC_DirectConnect ()
Client 0 connecting with 0 challenge ping
ClientUserinfoChanged: 0 n\UnnamedPlayer\t\0\model\sarge\hmodel\sarge\g_redteam\\g_blueteam\\c1\4\c2\5\hc\100\w\0\l\0\tt\0\tl\0\id\915962B8D8514947C25AE01D69FC4ED6
ClientConnect: 0
broadcast: print "UnnamedPlayer^7 connected\n"
Going from CS_FREE to CS_CONNECTED for UnnamedPlayer
UnnamedPlayer : dropped gamestate, resending
SV_SendClientGameState() for UnnamedPlayer
Going from CS_CONNECTED to CS_PRIMED for UnnamedPlayer
clientCommand: UnnamedPlayer : 1 : disconnect
broadcast: print "UnnamedPlayer^7 disconnected\n"
ClientDisconnect: 0
Going to CS_ZOMBIE for
Going from CS_ZOMBIE to CS_FREE for client 0

If I don't use the arena mod, I don't have a server.cfg file to exec for baseoa and can't see any server in the list.

Thanks
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:22:23 AM »

When I don't run exec server.cfg, the server doesn't appear in the Multiplayer server list.
Strange... are you sure you loaded a map? Maybe your server.cfg does contain a "map <mapname>" command, and if you don't exec the script, then you have to load a map manually. If you don't load a map, the server does not really work.

I also only let .cfg files in mod directories. I used sv_allowdownload 1 and enabled automatic download in the game menu (can't access the console).
What's the reason you cannot access the console from the client? Did you try pressing "shift+esc", or ~, ', `, ½, ^, §, \, æ? Knowing its output would be important...

The problem remains. I used developer 1 on the server and here's the connection log:
Strange, if it's not related to autodownload, I don't know... Sorry, I don't know what to think... maybe client log may help...

If I don't use the arena mod, I don't have a server.cfg file to exec for baseoa and can't see any server in the list.
Again, did you load a map?

Another question: you said you are using OSX. Are you using the official version (manually downloaded) on both machines, or maybe in one of the two you are using the UNOFFICIAL version (by third party) which is available on the Mac App Store?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 02:25:36 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
chefien
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 05:06:12 AM »

Hi,

the map seems loaded as in the multiplayer server list, it's running ra3map1
I dunno why I can't access the console. I'll try some more key combinations and will keep you posted.

Actually i'm running the dedicated server from the same folder I'm running the client app. So it should be the same version. Which official version are you talking about? OpenArena?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 07:49:54 AM »

Hi,

the map seems loaded as in the multiplayer server list, it's running ra3map1
I dunno why I can't access the console. I'll try some more key combinations and will keep you posted.
You can use ''\bind <key> toggleconsole'' to set an additional key to open the console (then type "/toggleconsole" to close it), but, unlike the standard key for that, this one will not work when the "ESC menu" is open or you are in some other menu instead of playing.

Not sure if doing that from dedicaded server would also affect client... of course you can try: open dedicated server, bind a key for "toggleconsole", then quit the server... launch the client, load a map and try it that key works. Don't forget each mod has got its own q3config.cfg.

Actually i'm running the dedicated server from the same folder I'm running the client app. So it should be the same version. Which official version are you talking about? OpenArena?
I was referring to the official OpenArena 0.8.8 package, the one you can get from one of these DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Download_mirrors]download mirrors, following DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Manual/Install#Mac]these Mac installation notes.

What happens if you run the client from a different machine than the server?

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: