Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Sandbox mod for OpenArena  (Read 45171 times)
pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: December 22, 2014, 05:13:02 PM »

I am planning a GMod-like sandbox mod for OpenArena. It is called pootisgumball256's universe. GMod 13's addon system and DirectX support are very buggy, so I'm making a mod. I need help on the following:

-Make your own weapons/items/mods as addons instead of separate mods (maybe the whole purpose of Garry's Mod)
-Making Single Player monsters, one model (no head.md3, lower.md3, upper.md3, etc.)
-Ragdoll and prop physics like in GMod
-Chairs to sit on
-Physics Gun
-Vehicles
-Spawn Menus
-Edible food entities that give you health
-Make several pickups have different rotation styles or lie on floor, have prop physics, and do not rotate at all (like upset's Q1/Q2/Q3/UT99 mods for GMod.)
-Doors openable in Action Quake style
-Single player keys like in Quake, Quake 2, and the EntityPlus Mod for Quake 3
-Pogo Stick powerup (like Jumper from World of Padman)
-tris.md3 for weapons, like the tris.md2 function in Quake 2 (the model and animation when you hold a weapon in first person mode, right/left handedness)
-Hand only projectile weapon (like the Nelson laugh SWEP for GMoD)
-New game modes (Sandbox, HoonyMode, Prop Hunt, Trouble in Terrorist Town, DeFRaG, Not Team Fortress, Clan Arena (already implemented in baseoa as Elimination), Red Rover, Possession, Team Possession (will soon be in baseoa), Monster Hunt)

I appreciate any help from the OpenArena team. Thank you for your help!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:22:26 PM by pootisgumball256 » Logged
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 06:03:19 PM »

You forgot the steroid poneys with jetpacks.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 06:29:06 PM »

Not much time but i'll make it short: It's not going to work.  The engine would need an overhaul (especially for skeletal processing and physics integration)

Gmod wasn't made in a day

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »

Not much time but i'll make it short: It's not going to work.  The engine would need an overhaul (especially for skeletal processing and physics integration)

I'll give him a week before I lose interest.

pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »

Rest In PEACE! K-k-kill me

I know it wasn't made in a day.

It's not going to work.  The engine would need an overhaul (especially for skeletal processing and physics integration)
Sorry, I'm a beginner.
Let's start on the easy stuff (CPMA game modes, possession, Pogo Stick, Single Player Keys)

(
You forgot the steroid poneys with jetpacks.
I am rejecting muscular jetpack ponies for the base mod, Suicizer. I will not throw in everything I can. The idea looks better for an add-on.

P.S. I will not post my age because I'm afraid some ageist prick will purge my account.

P.P.S. Suicizer is obviously a die-hard brony who wants EVERYTHING to have "the steroid poneys with jetpacks."

P.P.P.S.
Not much time but i'll make it short: It's not going to work.  The engine would need an overhaul (especially for skeletal processing and physics integration)

I'll give him a week before I lose interest.
GMod wasn't made in a week. It wasn't even made in a month.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:26:35 PM by pootisgumball256 » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2014, 07:00:58 PM »

i'd drop the whole notion of using idTech 3 altogether and go for an engine already mature that could possibly support this kind of playground thing.  It can hook up to OpenDE for physics and has skeletal manipulation through the code and across network IIRC, and much like the actual Source Engine, it's still quake at its very base.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 07:11:20 PM »

Wow! I thought it will just be poor-graphic-quality Quake, but I was stunned when I saw it on MOD-DB! It looks so similar to Source, noobs can't tell the difference!

P.S. I saw a joke about OA developers switching to Darkplaces.
"Pointless"
"because Julius thinks so... unless we switch to Darkplaces or FTEQW due to a gimmick feature assuming it's a bandage for every problem. Still no apology."
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 05:39:13 AM »

It looks like you have got a very large number of ideas for your mod. Some things may be reasonably easy, some others look quite hard. If you succeed in a half third fifth tenth of what you propose, you are a GREAT. Smiley

Did you already try to mod something in the game?

PS: In case you make "possession" gametype, that may be ported to baseoa, too: being part of DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Q3_Revolution]Q3 Revolution, I can guess it may fit baseoa (of course, rewritten, due to Q3R not being GPL'd, IIRC)...

PPS: Why to code a whole new "clan arena" mode, considering existing "Elimination" mode is almost the same?

PPPS: Someone already tried to do some "sandbox" mod... IIRC, one was OATMEAL: https://github.com/lrq3000/oatmeal
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 05:47:23 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2014, 02:56:46 PM »

Huh fromhell said it's not going to work but Gig told me to go on? I'm switching to Darkplaces, due to the severe limitations for id tech 3. I tried to make a flamethrower and locational damage, but it was severely unfinished and not compiled.

P.S. I'm telling you the true story of why I posted this. I got GMod on July 31 and played until August 17. My CQ56 was broken on August 19, so I got a gaming computer in mid-September. I tried to play Garry's Mod in October but I kept crashing to desktop when I load a map. I used to be able to play with "too many addons," but Garry's Mod is always crashing when I load any map, everything I tried Cry My father told me to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid,) but I hated that advice Lips Sealed Cry I tried to deactivate all addons but it STILL did not work.

P.P.S. Darkplaces is severely limited. Xenotic's sandbox function is primitive (no proper GMod-like physics, have to type in model location), Xenotic has no custom content, and all players are brightskins.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:28:04 PM by pootisgumball256 » Logged
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 03:02:09 AM »

Huh fromhell said it's not going to work but Gig told me to go on? I'm switching to Darkplaces, due to the severe limitations for id tech 3. I tried to make a flamethrower and locational damage, but it was severely unfinished and not compiled.

P.S. I'm telling you the true story of why I posted this. I got GMod on July 31 and played until August 17. My CQ56 was broken on August 19, so I got a gaming computer in mid-September. I tried to play Garry's Mod in October but I kept crashing to desktop when I load a map. I used to be able to play with "too many addons," but Garry's Mod is always crashing when I load any map, everything I tried Cry My father told me to KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid,) but I hated that advice Lips Sealed Cry I tried to deactivate all addons but it STILL did not work.

P.P.S. Darkplaces is severely limited. Xenotic's sandbox function is primitive (no proper GMod-like physics, have to type in model location), Xenotic has no custom content, and all players are brightskins.

Here is an article which would be very helpful for you. You can thank me later.
http://cube.wikispaces.com/How+not+to+start+a+mod

Any way, I think you should go fap on Gmod now.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:42:27 AM by Suicizer » Logged

pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2014, 05:51:23 AM »

I'm only able to fap to it in picture form, and "how not to start a mod" does not help me find a sandbox game that has ragdoll physics (Xenotic Sandbox function and Minecraft do not.), doesn't crash when loading a map (Garry's Mod does.), can have mods (Xenotic and Minecraft cannot.), and is not too blocky. (Minecraft and ROBLOX are too blocky.)

P.S. I figured out the meaning. I want people who are significantly more skilled than me. I am able to do the following on id Tech 3:
-Player skins
-Textures
-Bot files (.bot, bots.txt, rchat.c, bot_w.c, etc.)
-Wall Piercing Railguns
-Homing Rockets
-Cloaking
-Ladders
-Flame Thrower
-Locational Damage
-Alternate Fire
-Cluster Grenades
-Spreadfire Powerup

Edit-Suicizer notices I had added homing rockets twice. I removed the duplicate. Thanks, Suicizer!
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:52:09 AM by pootisgumball256 » Logged
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2014, 08:33:19 AM »

I'm only able to fap to it in picture form, and "how not to start a mod" does not help me find a sandbox game that has ragdoll physics (Xenotic Sandbox function and Minecraft do not.), doesn't crash when loading a map (Garry's Mod does.), can have mods (Xenotic and Minecraft cannot.), and is not too blocky. (Minecraft and ROBLOX are too blocky.)

P.S. I figured out the meaning. I want people who are significantly more skilled than me. I am able to do the following on id Tech 3:
-Player skins
-Textures
-Bot files (.bot, bots.txt, rchat.c, bot_w.c, etc.)
-Wall Piercing Railguns
-Homing Rockets
-Cloaking
-Ladders
-Flame Thrower
-Locational Damage
-Alternate Fire
-Cluster Grenades
-Homing Rockets
-Spreadfire Powerup

Then you certainly did not figured out the meaning of "how not to start a mod" if you're requesting for help on your mod.

P.S. you've added homing rockets twice =P.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 08:35:39 AM by Suicizer » Logged

pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2014, 08:59:09 AM »

If things get too extreme, I might switch to the Unreal, Ogre, or Second Life engine if any of them have a gimmick feature that makes me assume is a bandage for every problem.
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2014, 06:52:25 PM »

This evoke me The "others will do it" theory.

If things get too extreme, I might switch to the Unreal, Ogre, or Second Life engine

Why not one of the two Cube engines.

-Wall Piercing Railguns
-Homing Rockets
-Cloaking
-Ladders
-Flame Thrower
-Locational Damage
-Alternate Fire
-Cluster Grenades
-Spreadfire Powerup

Nice ideas

About the gamemodes, I suggest two things:
- Allow new game modes in addons
- A gamemodes/mutators system, like in Red Eclipse, Iron Fist and AssaultCube Reloaded, instead of the classic gamemodes system, or allow implement it in addons
pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2014, 06:58:18 AM »

asmanel, do you know I am switching to Darkplaces (Xenotic)? Also, game modes in addons/mutators are a great idea for my Xenotic mod I'm planning!
asmanel
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 09:47:11 AM »

Mutators aren't addons, they are a kind of game option, which define what variant of a gamemode is used, allowing more possibilities with less gamemodes.

Even it need to be updated, this page of the ACR wiki explain it.

What I suggested was allow new gamemodes and mutators in addons.

And no, I didn't know you already was switching to darkplace.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2014, 08:49:35 AM »

A guy steps in asking for help and all he gets is bullshit. I've seen this a thousand of times. It even happened to me some times.
Apparently, common courtesy is really lacking these days.

Those articles also reminded me of the worst parts of any community.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2014, 10:03:44 AM »

A guy steps in asking for help and all he gets is bullshit. I've seen this a thousand of times. It even happened to me some times.

Perhaps that's because articles of "How not to start a mod" make perfect sense; else there would be way more successful project (but too bad there aren't).

Don't blame people for making fun of such requests, as most of them can't be taken seriously.
A good example which has been asked countless times on game engines like Quake 3 or Cube Engine (2) is vehicles; that's not being realistic in your requests. We both know that, else it would have been performed way more than currently is (I only remember 1 mod on Quake 3 which actually had vehicles, but that tends to be a racing game).
« Last Edit: December 28, 2014, 01:19:35 PM by Suicizer » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2014, 03:07:30 AM »

Huh fromhell said it's not going to work but Gig told me to go on?
I did not tell you to stop or to go on. You decide.

I meant that doing everything you proposed would be an extremely huge work (maybe impossible - I'm not a real dev, so I cannot tell you what's possible and what is not), but maybe you may succeed in some features, if you do have programming skills and motivation...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »

-Make your own weapons/items/mods as addons instead of separate mods (maybe the whole purpose of Garry's Mod)
id Tech 3's QVM system is not very flexible. Most mods that allowed some kind of "standalone addons" are just very extensive mods with lots of configuration options, i.e. the core mod already contains all the required code for the "addons", i.e. the addons are just a bunch of config files.
You can cheat a little and use native libraries instead, but that brings a whole new can of worms.

-Making Single Player monsters, one model (no head.md3, lower.md3, upper.md3, etc.)
I'm sure fromhell could tell you more about this, but the different models are required as the different body parts (of a humanoid player) can rotate separately.

-Ragdoll and prop physics like in GMod
While I'm sure you could replace Q3's player/items physics with something else, it'd be a lot of work and most likely breaks e.g. the unique trickjumping and most if not all regular maps (aka the 125fps problem).

-Pogo Stick powerup (like Jumper from World of Padman)
WoP is also licensed under GPLv2, so you can adapt its code. Remember that assets are copyrighted though.

tl;dr: id Tech 3 might be too old of a game engine to create a sandbox world, you might be better off with a modern engine with scripting (e.g. Lua, Python etc.) support. Either way you will need to write some code yourself.
Since GMod already allows some of your proposed features, why not talk to their community to fix your crash issue?

P.S.: You can add scripting support to id Tech 3 (there's some in etpro iirc), but it's not the same.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:59:36 AM by grey matter » Logged

This space is for rent.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2014, 02:30:10 PM »

Perhaps that's because articles of "How not to start a mod" make perfect sense; else there would be way more successful project (but too bad there aren't).

Don't blame people for making fun of such requests, as most of them can't be taken seriously.
A good example which has been asked countless times on game engines like Quake 3 or Cube Engine (2) is vehicles; that's not being realistic in your requests. We both know that, else it would have been performed way more than currently is (I only remember 1 mod on Quake 3 which actually had vehicles, but that tends to be a racing game).
Making fun about things like this one is NEVER a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
This kind of attitudes also gives the community a bad image. But well...

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2014, 04:24:15 PM »

Making fun about things like this one is NEVER a good thing as far as I'm concerned.
This kind of attitudes also gives the community a bad image. But well...

It's not about doing a good thing; just like posting a thread about a mod and serving it like the poster is recruiting people to join his development force. Then you shouldn't be astonished when the plan gets backfired.
I'm done with the discussion; my opinion sticks to the "how not to start a mod" article.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 04:30:15 PM by Suicizer » Logged

pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #22 on: December 30, 2014, 03:31:14 PM »

Since GMod already allows some of your proposed features, why not talk to their community to fix your crash issue?
I tried emailing Garry Newman at GMail, but he wouldn't respond.

P.S.

LOL! I must make a rage comic about this, probably a Y U NO or a FFFFFUUUUU.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 04:13:24 PM by pootisgumball256 » Logged
pootisgumball256
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2015, 03:46:17 PM »

Never mind. I went with KMQuake2. I am combining the Pax Imperia and main Lazarus/CTF/ACEBot source codes, and adding a lot of new stuff. Sandboxing may be more possible in Quake 2 than in Quake 3. The GoldSrc engine was built on QuakeWorld and Quake 2, and GoldSrc gave birth to Source, which gave birth to Garry's Mod. I joined the Tastyspleen forums. Quake DeveLS has tutorials to add Multi DLL Support, Paril implemented Bullet physics to the Quake 2 engine, and someone made a Quake 1 sandbox mod. Code can be exchanged between games. Someone put the Shambler monster and Lightning Gun/Super Nailgun weapons in the Quake 2 WODX mod! Here are some notes:

- I think code exchange between Quake 1 and 2 is easier than between 2 and 3.
- The disruptor weapon can be activated by flipping an ifdef.
- I may need to switch to C++ for Bullet physics, since I saw .cpp files instead of the good old .c files.
OpenShake
Nub

Cakes -8

Aqua Teen Is Number One.

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2015, 03:30:19 PM »

Well.  Huh This is getting out of hand.
But cool mod idea, it will take you probably over a year, if you want I can help becuz I'm interested in moding OA.  alien

Fly in the sky, like an igloo!
Fly in the skyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: