Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: TF Server  (Read 12683 times)
tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: March 15, 2015, 04:41:25 PM »

Someone can make a Q3F server on OpenArena? Just asking, because such a mod going to waste, is lame.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 07:36:16 PM »

Not to be rude, but why don't you make it yourself? You're the one who wants this.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 07:44:04 PM by Suicizer » Logged

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 08:30:15 PM »

Not to be rude, but why don't you make it yourself? You're the one who wants this.

I could make it, but who would play it?
Also I can't.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2015, 02:13:30 AM »

Other people who like Q3F, I guess...  Smiley
Also I can't.
This may be a problem...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2015, 02:35:06 AM »

Also I can't.

Then perhaps you try to learn it?
You can't expect people go run a modified server just because you would like so.

tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2015, 03:23:30 PM »

Who said that it was because I didn't know how to do it?
I just can't and I was just making a thread, so people that is interested would talk about it.
Please, if you came here to be rude, then please leave.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 04:57:28 PM »

Who said that it was because I didn't know how to do it?
I just can't and I was just making a thread, so people that is interested would talk about it.
Please, if you came here to be rude, then please leave.

Back where we've started;

P.S.
In my opinion, it's sad that Open Arena is being forced as a dumping place for old Quake 3 mods. It deserves so much better.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 04:58:41 PM »

Shut up Suicizer

P.S.
In my opinion, it's sad that Open Arena is being forced as a dumping place for old Quake 3 mods. It deserves so much better.
nice brownnosing.  Q3 mod compatibility is one of OA's goals, and there is nothing wrong with what tflover is trying to accomplish (someone to provide server hosting bandwidth to run a mod he personally favors)

and yes OA deserves better than Suicizer.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 05:04:11 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2015, 02:51:20 AM »

To tell the truth, Suicizer, also I notice a bit "aggressive" mood in your posts a bit too often. Maybe "rude" is a more adapt word?
Sure, you can be a good player of the game, and the tourney map you ideated and Akom realized plays great... but OpenArena playerbase is not so large that we can discourage people who wish to play it, by being rude.

As Fromhell stated, letting people to play Q3 mods is one of OA goals, and there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe, there may be some problem with Q3 SDK EULA (which probably wanted its mods to be played with Q3 only and not with other games), but that is just user's responsibility/choice. I have never heard of id software asking someone to close his OpenArena server because it was running a Q3 mod, although I may miss this kind of info (in general, I have never read any opinion from id software about OA, so I can't tell).

To run an internet server, one needs a 24/7 internet connection with a good upload bandwidth and un unlimited (or with high limits) monthly bandwidth. And access to its firewall settings. And a 24/7 turned on PC. So, even if one may be technically capable of setting up a server, he may have some other kinds of problems to create it.

So he thought that some server admin (or some Q3F fan) may read his request and decide to make an OA Q3F server by his own. Maybe that will not happen, but "asking is legit, replying is courtesy", as we sometimes say in Italy.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 04:26:17 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 10:16:25 AM »

To tell the truth, Suicizer, also I notice a bit "aggressive" mood in your posts a bit too often. Maybe "rude" is a more adapt word?
Sure, you can be a good player of the game, and the tourney map you ideated and Akom realized plays great... but OpenArena playerbase is not so large that we can discourage people who wish to play it, by being rude.

As Fromhell stated, letting people to play Q3 mods is one of OA goals, and there is nothing wrong with that. Maybe, there may be some problem with Q3 SDK EULA (which probably wanted its mods to be played with Q3 only and not with other games), but that is just user's responsibility/choice. I have never heard of id software asking someone to close his OpenArena server because it was running a Q3 mod, although I may miss this kind of info (in general, I have never read any opinion from id software about OA, so I can't tell).

To run an internet server, one needs a 24/7 internet connection with a good upload bandwidth and un unlimited (or with high limits) monthly bandwidth. And access to its firewall settings. And a 24/7 turned on PC. So, even if one may be technically capable of setting up a server, he may have some other kinds of problems to create it.

So he thought that some server admin (or some Q3F fan) may read his request and decide to make an OA Q3F server by his own. Maybe that will not happen, but "asking is legit, replying is courtesy", as we sometimes say in Italy.

As I'm aware some people take certain of  my comments  as "rude", that's why I stated it shouldn't be approached like that.
Too bad some weren't getting that clue; I'll try harder next time.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2015, 11:06:27 AM »

The "not to be rude..." can be useful, of course... (also I have been misconceived by other people, at times... although I usually try to be even more polite than needed)...
... but also with it, replying to people with things which sound (more or less!) like "Do it yourself, this thing does not interest anyone else and is not worth our time." may be avoided...
 Smiley

PS: I agree maybe we underrated your "not to be rude" notes... maybe reading it in two posts so near may have had a part on it.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 11:13:49 AM by Gig » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2015, 01:07:20 PM »

The "not to be rude..." can be useful, of course... (also I have been misconceived by other people, at times... although I usually try to be even more polite than needed)...
... but also with it, replying to people with things which sound (more or less!) like "Do it yourself, this thing does not interest anyone else and is not worth our time." may be avoided...
 Smiley

PS: I agree maybe we underrated your "not to be rude" notes... maybe reading it in two posts so near may have had a part on it.

Well, I guess I was wrong once again. My apologies for that. Now go make and host a server that contains TF and get that guy happy =P!

tflover
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2015, 03:59:53 PM »

Maybe someday, someday....maybe then, I could make improve the mod a bit, and add more weapon skins and textures based on OA artstyle.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2015, 02:09:20 AM »

Now go make and host a server that contains TF and get that guy happy =P!
Unfortunately, at home I really can't turn on the PC 24/7... also, I have an ADSL line with less than 400 kbps upload bandwidth...   Sad

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: