Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: In need of information  (Read 6016 times)
CoreDeadeye
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 11, 2015, 04:58:36 PM »

I am trying to make an OA character, but I have little knowledge on what needs to be done. On top of that, I am not too familiar with Blender. I have sifted through the pk3. archives to the player models, and I have a slight idea of the necessary files. Will Autodesk modeling programs work for modeling the character and rigging it? I know I will need to use Blender a little bit (for exporting), even if I use Autodesk. Could someone tell what each of the files do, and if Autodesk can do the job?
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2015, 06:23:16 PM »

Autodesk won't do the job because it can't be maintained by us.  .MAX files are useless to me.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
CoreDeadeye
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 11:20:46 AM »

I had a feeling Auto Desk would not do.

The files I refer to are the '.skin' , 'animation .cfg' , and multiple .md3 variants such as 'upper', 'upper_1' and so on. I am guessing the '.skin' file links the different '.tga'/'.jpg' to the .md3 variants based on the chosen team color. I just wanted some clarification on these different files.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2015, 02:09:02 AM »

There are a couple of pages in the wiki about creating a player model...
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Making_a_player_model
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Creating_a_player_model_in_Blender
But maybe they should be updated/reworked...
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/MD3_format
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/DeveloperFAQ#How_do_I_export_md3s_in_Blender.3F

I suppose also searching for some documentation for Q3 may roughly apply to OA, too:
Example for skinning:
http://www.moddb.com/games/quake-iii-arena/tutorials/skinning-for-newbies-part-1
« Last Edit: May 14, 2015, 02:16:38 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: