Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [Map] Surreal Pools Beta  (Read 9831 times)
doctorfresh305
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: May 25, 2015, 10:31:23 AM »

Here's my Open Arena map, Surreal Pools Beta
check it out.

http://download.tuxfamily.org/openarena/upload/surreal_pools_beta.zip

Also includes the.map file.

Let me know what you think.

Here are all the issues and noob questions concerning this beta:
No bot support.
How to add flags so they only appear in CTF? (not FFA, etc.)
How to add Overload Obelisks?
How to add a neutral flag for One Flag Capture?
The map is close to the entity limit, does it work with max number of players (and/or bot routes)?
How to take screenshots? Absolutely nothing works! (in-game, prt sc, etc.)
Skybox has ammo collision even though shader says otherwise. What to do?
Easiest way to fix music file? "22k stereo!"
« Last Edit: May 28, 2015, 05:51:12 PM by doctorfresh305 » Logged
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 02:47:19 PM »

We have this article for some of your needs: (check the "gametype" and "!gametype" section)

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Additional_gametype_support

What happened that you haven't added bot support?

For the screenshot, try binding the "levelshot" command to a key.

I'll take a look later to your map.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 03:38:43 PM »

Don't worry about the 22khz stereo warning.  That's a stupid pointless warning I silenced in recent engine revisions, and it is only really of concern for the applicaiton of streaming wav music off a cd in a minimal installation, which obviously doesn't apply to OA.

As for skybox, make sure your new shader file is listed in the shaderlist.txt file so q3map2 (the superenhanced map compiler) can see it and parse it.

A workaround for the screenshot issue can be playing in a window and then printscreening.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2015, 03:43:53 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
doctorfresh305
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 07:41:28 PM »

Thanks guys, this was all useful!
All that's really left for a new release is to add bot routes.
Will this have an effect on the entity limit? (like if the map is filled with bots?)
I keep running into a "cl_parsegamestate: bad command byte" error and have to keep trimming content.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 01:58:17 AM »

I keep running into a "cl_parsegamestate: bad command byte" error.
I don't know the reason of this error. The map gives it to me, too... I noticed I can play the map anyway with sv_pure 0, but of course that's not a solution.

About the map...
I like the "clean" way it is done... but my biggest dubt is "will it be actually playable?"... I roamed it for 20 minutes or more, and I only once found the blue flag (and never found the red flag)... the map is VERY huge. Considering even 16 players in the server, how long will it require before you will find someone to shot?
Also, considering that swimming slows you down... what about creating a smaller version of the map?

Maybe you share my own "put it there everything which comes into your mind" syndrome, which will probably be the main cause the first map I ever realized will never be finished (I did it years ago, I placed so many rooms, ideas and items -and I didn't yet know that "CSG subtract" was "dangerous"- that at the end some errors started appearing in-game when bots were in due to too many items to manage. The map should be re-done from scratch in a more "clean" way, but I dubt I will never have the time do to that.)...

Note: I'm not an experienced mapper. As said, my first map has got that problem and probably will never be released... My second map has actually been finished and published (OACMPDM10 "Under Destruction")... while my third map is currently in "suspeded" state due to not having the spare time required for finishing it.

PS about your map:
- Some shaders to identify teleporters and accelerator pads would be welcome.
- It looks like the sky shader does not have the "nomarks" parameter... but it has. So the problem should be that your shaderlist.txt does not include your shader file, as Fromhell suggested.
- Is the map GPLv2 compliant? (That's a strict requirement only if you wish your maps to be placed in any "official" OA release... but it's an important thing to know anyway, to allow other people to legally modify, correct and fork it). It doesn't include a "copying" file... and I see you "credited" someone else in the readme... was their work GPLv2 or Public Domain?
- Maybe is there a little too much use of teleports?

PPS: Size comparison screenshots: the first is my (medium-medium/small sized?) OACMPDM10 map... the second one is your "Surreal pools" map. Look at the rulers. Yours is really a huge map!
PPPS: To make the comparison more extensive, I also posted oacmpdm8 (beta) and oa_thor screenshots. Well, they are not "large" maps (so are not the ideal for the comparison), but are those I had the .map file ready on my disk!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 04:18:52 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 02:13:37 AM »

We have this article for some of your needs: (check the "gametype" and "!gametype" section)

(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Additional_gametype_support

Neon_Knight, it is some months I wanted to ask you a thing about that.

While working on my (temporarily paused due to time problems) new map, I had the impression that the note we said about the need (to avoid bot-related problems) to place "gametype objective" items (flags, etc.) with their origin perfectly aligned to the ground (instead of just placing them at some height above the ground like standard items) in reality may be correct only for "*obelisk" items, while can bring problems (e.g. item not spawning) if used for other kinds of gametype-objective items.

Considering you have more experience than me, could you please take a look into this thing when you have some time? Thank you!
« Last Edit: June 01, 2015, 02:23:06 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
doctorfresh305
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 04:16:28 PM »

I don't know the reason of this error. The map gives it to me, too... I noticed I can play the map anyway with sv_pure 0, but of course that's not a solution.

About the map...
I like the "clean" way it is done... but my biggest dubt is "will it be actually playable?"... I roamed it for 20 minutes or more, and I only once found the blue flag (and never found the red flag)... the map is VERY huge. Considering even 16 players in the server, how long will it require before you will find someone to shot?
Also, considering that swimming slows you down... what about creating a smaller version of the map?

Maybe you share my own "put it there everything which comes into your mind" syndrome, which will probably be the main cause the first map I ever realized will never be finished (I did it years ago, I placed so many rooms, ideas and items -and I didn't yet know that "CSG subtract" was "dangerous"- that at the end some errors started appearing in-game when bots were in due to too many items to manage. The map should be re-done from scratch in a more "clean" way, but I dubt I will never have the time do to that.)...

Note: I'm not an experienced mapper. As said, my first map has got that problem and probably will never be released... My second map has actually been finished and published (OACMPDM10 "Under Destruction")... while my third map is currently in "suspeded" state due to not having the spare time required for finishing it.

PS about your map:
- Some shaders to identify teleporters and accelerator pads would be welcome.
- It looks like the sky shader does not have the "nomarks" parameter... but it has. So the problem should be that your shaderlist.txt does not include your shader file, as Fromhell suggested.
- Is the map GPLv2 compliant? (That's a strict requirement only if you wish your maps to be placed in any "official" OA release... but it's an important thing to know anyway, to allow other people to legally modify, correct and fork it). It doesn't include a "copying" file... and I see you "credited" someone else in the readme... was their work GPLv2 or Public Domain?
- Maybe is there a little too much use of teleports?

Oh wow, that error is harder to avoid than I thought. Interesting.
I'll admit that the map is definitely in the novelty territory and difficult to take serious in a playable context. At least in its current state. Making a smaller version is a great idea.
Thank you so much for the feedback!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: