Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Three questions about OA3  (Read 8012 times)
RedBlade7
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« on: June 29, 2015, 10:24:14 PM »

• Will it still be open-source?
  • Will it be limited to only a few maps a la CS:GO?
  • Will all the existing maps continue to work with it?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 12:25:24 AM »

• Will it still be open-source?
  • Will it be limited to only a few maps a la CS:GO?
  • Will all the existing maps continue to work with it?

1) Of course. Why shouldn't? GPLv2 compatibility is still a strict requirement for OA3. I just added a brief note here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3#Other
2) I don't know how many maps CS:GO has got. Maybe OA3 will have fewer maps than OA 0.8.8, but there should be enough anyway. Also, Quake tribute maps should be available as a separate download package. Take a look to (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3List/Maps
3) I suppose they should. But... I don't know whether Fromhell is planning to remove textures/shaders used in some 0.8.x maps which will not be included in OA3, for the sake of making a smaller package. If that's the case, I hope she will take note of all of them and will make them available as an additional download package, to allow users to restore compatibilty with third-party maps designed for OA 0.8.x. (However, maybe including retrocompatibility by default may be a better choice. Fromhell will decide.)

Of course, there is still A LOT to do about OA3 ((DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3List). If someone wants to contribute, he's welcome. (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3 page as got some useful infos.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2015, 01:28:31 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2015, 09:21:28 AM »

Basically, the maps which make OA to look bad will be redesigned as better maps or completely cut at all. Tributes to any games are placed in a separate package.

And yes, OA3 is based on the same engine as OA0, only with better art, and compatibility is STILL an objective, so I wouldn't worry about that area. =)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
RedBlade7
Ok i've posted twice!

Cakes 0

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2015, 01:27:28 PM »

2) I don't know how many maps CS:GO has got. Maybe OA3 will have fewer maps than OA 0.8.alien but there should be enough anyway. Also, Quake tribute maps should be available as a separate download package. Take a look to (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3List/Maps

There are "casual" and "competitive" modes, each with 6 maps, some of which are in both.
Got boring really fast.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2015, 01:07:33 AM »

I suppose OA3 will have more than 12 maps, even without counting extra map packs.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2015, 07:59:51 AM »

Part of the reason of OA's existence is to be able to play every map made for Q3 without the need to have Q3 installed, and this isn't going to change with OA3, as OA3 is more about getting better base assets in general.

Regarding the base maps, well, everything which makes OA to look bad will get the boot or be redone.

Changing the engine or throwing compatibility out of the window is not going to happen, regardless of what some people want.

And, well, the game isn't called OpenArena for nothing, the game will still remain opensource, and this isn't going to change as well. =)

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: