Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Some spontaneous AO character concepts  (Read 48817 times)
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2015, 10:43:15 PM »

I'm not using MD3s.

I'm using MDR...which is literally skeleton MD3s.  no skeletal control features and has very abridged skeletal structure (for the memory!!!), also allowing for more polys and more frames.

Going MDR helps me inch more polygons out of players without sending the game into a crash or in longloadingtime territory.  Also there's already additional animations supported by detecting tag_flag on the mesh to turn them on and if defined in the animation.cfg to allow torso runs, torso jumps, torso runs on gauntlet or w/ flag, and strafe animations.  I'm already trying to unstiff the players

I had thoughts to do something to make facial expressions (like some sort of mouth openness changing 10 frames, rest of frames being 10 different expressions, and trying to make cgame appropriately picking which of those frames to use and then maybe making the TA voice taunt system play voices from the entities' local channel somehow sampling the voice playing to lip the model ala Elite Force (JK2 source should have some clues on how to do this))
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 02:48:15 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Joshua
Half-Nub

Cakes 5

Loves OpenArena!

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2015, 02:07:44 AM »

Worked on the railgun a bit today. Hopefully it is at a point where it can be useful to folks. Textures are still super rough. I projected Arne's paintover to the model, touched it up a bit, and baked it out on a set of uvs designed for handpainting. The geometry could probably use some tweaking, still trying to figure out the grip/slide.

Download Railgun Blender File

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2015, 04:25:44 AM »

Quick ingame test

Left hand is clipping through, might be my fault for the bad incompatible animation rig.

Also the skin was quickly resampled to 512x512 and had a dilate+ddilate+unsharpmask darken layer followed by a dilate+unsharpmask multiply layer or something like that, to compensate the texture for overbrights.

i also did some automatic edgesplit (80 degree threshold to keep it under 1000 verts)

I can easily apply future changes by parenting to a empty which adjusts the model to this proper exporting position (as well as renaming a material's name to "models/weapons2/railgun/railgun")

I will have to admit the shape and color scheme reminds me a lot of a certain Battlezone 2 vehicle...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2015, 04:30:29 AM by fromhell » Logged

Suicizer

Cakes 2

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2015, 08:34:41 AM »

That gun looks seriously awesome and way much better than the current one on OA.
The character looks nice in shape, but the body feels too camouflaged while the head distracts. Unless some brightskin is included; perhaps a different colour than white and grey on the body could be used.

I'm good at everything but can't do anything...
CoreDeadeye
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2015, 09:33:48 PM »

Nice new character. I have been wanting to make a model, but I lack a lot of knowledge of how to use blender. I made a sketch of how the character would look, but the sketch only outlines the general idea and lacks proper proportion. I have not found out how to start a new topic yet, and it would be rude of me to intrude by adding my own sketch.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2015, 12:39:42 AM »

I have not found out how to start a new topic yet
1) (After logging in) Enter one of the sections of the forum (e.g. "Models", this one)
2) Click on "new topic" link: there is a line with "Mark Read  |  Notify  |  New Topic  |  Post new poll" on the right, at the beginning and at the ending of threads list.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2015, 01:15:13 AM »

I had fun and turned the tube into a scrolling glow texture effect on the same texture with a different shader

also, added little glow flare sprites, also on the same texture!!!  All are rgbGen entity.

and a video at a higher FOV
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 01:30:30 AM by fromhell » Logged

CoreDeadeye
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2015, 11:54:59 AM »

Thanks for the help, Gig. For some reason I missed such an obvious thing, repeatedly.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2015, 12:41:45 AM »

I had fun and turned the tube into a scrolling glow texture effect on the same texture with a different shader

also, added little glow flare sprites, also on the same texture!!!  All are rgbGen entity.

and a video at a higher FOV
Good!!!!

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
ThePlayer
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2015, 08:39:55 PM »

Thanks for the updates! that railgun looks pretty nice, reminded me of some nexuiz weapon Smiley
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2015, 05:15:25 AM »

I just started on the MG. I still suck at hard edged modeling though :/ and i'm doing a hybrid of both the quarterangle sketch and the sorceress sketch

i'll probably scrap it and start over lowpoly first.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 05:44:59 AM by fromhell » Logged

Arne
VIP
Nub

Cakes 5

Doesn't actually know who Vash is. Once had hair.

« Reply #36 on: July 27, 2015, 11:28:44 AM »

I think weapons are best made using subdivision, extrusion... and before that, planning. I'm hardly the right person to give advice about 3D modelling though, haha.

Light-tube animation on railgun works pretty well!

I thought my pantyladen thread had sunk to the bottom by now.

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: