Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OA no menu no game bad enum  (Read 12807 times)
Th3ee
Nub

Cakes 0

« on: June 08, 2015, 01:19:25 AM »

Openarena installs but does not run to the menu

https://bpaste.net/show/bff870b4e56d

If its about q3 engine, then quake3 does not even build.
https://bpaste.net/show/67dda6a66883
talks about asm

I dont have openarena or quake3 since I had Gentoo-hardened.
Can't believe it myself..............

Even though, there is no question mark,  this post is asking for help.....
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 03:51:24 AM »

Openarena installs but does not run to the menu
Did you download it from openarena.ws, or from some other place?

I dont have openarena or quake3 since I had Gentoo-hardened.
Excuse me, what do you mean with "I don't have openarena"?

I don't know Hardened Gentoo... with a quick search, I read it's a security-enhanced version of Gentoo Linux distro. Maybe those enhanced security plugins may block some mechanisms required by the game? I have no idea.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 04:03:47 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Th3ee
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2015, 10:40:31 AM »

Gentoo downloads it from sourceforge/oarena
and to make sure it is correct file it checks it with SHA256 5a8faf7f5b51f351b0a1618c06b6b98a5f1a6758f1d39818de2c87df2a0bac4a

"I don't have openarena" Its a kids term for not being able to play it - run it - open it.

("Maybe those enhanced security") This is not the case in theory because, it is common to be notified about that security system when it happens to block something. And it does not notify about OA anything. But who knows.... I dont know everything about that system..

it is amd64 x2 6000+ cpu    and ati hd6850 on opensource drivers.

I will check the openarena zip from home page whether it differs.. Currently my openarena-0.8.8.zip    is    425189255 bytes.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2015, 06:12:40 AM »

People should be aware that Sourceforge nowadays is messing hard with any app whose code has been hosted there, even if the app devs don't host code there anymore (case in point: GIMP).

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Th3ee
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2015, 03:06:20 PM »

As the page http://openarena.ws/download.php?view.4
shows the openarena-0.8.8.zip md5sum to be 9f353d96d7889c377349d692c3905e5b
it is the same as Gentoo downloaded to the download dir for install.

My newest discovery shows, that the trouble is in a combination of 32bit and hardened system. It is possible to fix it by writing a patch, but i dont know anything about assembly programming, or even how is that language called properly.

But I think some informations could be useful. In case somebody knows about it.
andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2015, 09:27:55 PM »

Sourceforge nowadays is messing hard with any app whose code has been hosted there
No, to say that SourceForge is messing with "every hosted program" is completely and blatantly false.

Yes they mucked with GIMP installer for windows after the developer left, and that was very unethical.

In the case of FileZilla, the developers agreed to be apart of their "offers" program and receive money for doing so.  Many users of FileZilla got malware on their computer via these "offers" and will never trust FileZilla again.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2015, 01:01:01 AM »

My newest discovery shows, that the trouble is in a combination of 32bit and hardened system. It is possible to fix it by writing a patch, but i dont know anything about assembly programming, or even how is that language called properly.
How did you reach that discovery? Do you have a link to a page which talks about that?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Th3ee
Nub

Cakes 0

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »

How
There is something I forgot to say. The patch is about quake 3 as it allows to install it, but makes segfault when run. So I have nothing about openarena.
I was able to talk about it on gentoo hardened irc and get the informations.

I was just told about it like that, that the 32 bit system does not have enough asm handlers to support the security and openarena  together, but that the 64bit has way more than enough by design.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: