Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OpenArena on IRC - Internet Relay Chat  (Read 15102 times)
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« on: November 06, 2015, 09:27:33 AM »

What is IRC?

In the simplest of terms, IRC is a network of chatrooms where each individual chatroom is called a channel. Channels are hosted on servers, and each server maintains its own network of channels. Using an IRC client, you can connect to a server and join the channels on that server. By doing so, you’ll be able to chat with other users who have connected to the same channels on those same servers.

MakeUseOf

Being used for more than 20+ years, IRC is still an effective way to communicate across the Internet. IRC has been very useful to allow multiple users to communicate using text. Today IRC is still being used by many people to contact others across the world. The most common way to connect to IRC is by using an IRC client. No matter if you're on Windows, Mac, Linux, or even your phone you can still be connected to IRC.

The most common IRC clients out there today are:

XChat (Free on Linux) (30 day trial for Windows)
XChat-WDK / HexChat (Windows)
mIRC (30 day trial)
LimeChat (Mac OS X)
ChatZilla (Addon for Firefox)
Quassel
IRCCloud

See your phones application center for an IRC client.

AndChat (Android)
AndroIRC (Android)
LimeChat (iPhone)
IRCCloud (iPhone) (Android)

In many cases you can connect to an IRC network using a browser.

Downloading/Installing is fairly simple on the OS of your choice.

Common IRC Networks

QuakeNet

QuakeNet is a large IRC (Internet Relay Chat) network. People from all over the world connect to QuakeNet to communicate, organise and hang out and you can use any common IRC client to join in or use our web chat application to join directly from your browser.

freenode

About the Network

You've reached freenode, an IRC network providing discussion facilities for the Free and Open Source Software communities, not-for-profit organizations, and related communities. In 1998, the network had about 200 users and less than 20 channels. Fifteen years later, the network peaks at over 80,000 users. freenode provides facilities to a variety of groups and organizations.

freenode is run entirely by volunteers hailing from the wider FOSS communities which we serve. Our combined network staff and development base is made up of around 40 dedicated men and women. We can all be found in #freenode on the network. Staff are all voiced and happy to help, or just have a chat with you about what we do and why we do it!

These two Networks offer the ability to create personal user accounts which would allow you to have more access to that networks features.

Read more on QuakeNet / freenode

Open Arena

There are many Open Arena channels that are still open.

For example:

QuakeNet

#openarena
#openarenahelp (also included openarenahelp.com) (currently down)
#Zimmer106
#OAsuperbots
#teammega

freenode

#rainbow
#purpledf

There was once a time I remember AnyNet had the offical Open Arena channel #openarena

The #openarenahelp channel on QuakeNet was created for players who wanted assistance, much like coming to the forum asking questions. One point in time having in game statistics being tracked for our own entertainment with live updates by command, also a live glossary for quake3/openarena cvars, and even server help. Basically sharing useful information and in game tips/help you are in search of.

There are many more available associated with Open Arena that you could get from the others connected.

(There should be a list somewhere on my computer, and maybe even the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page]Wikia contains more information.) (Gig)

If you guys were to join any of the IRC channels without getting a response from someone, theres a great chance they're idling, or just away at the moment or even sleep. Sticking around for a few in channels someone would be more likely to communicate with you. Your IRC client can easily run in the background of your computer/phone, so its rather easy to stick around. Remember IRC connects people from all around the world, our timezones are very different.

I'm encouraging all on the forum to chime in. This could be much easier for the Open Arena team (fromhell ?) to communicate on current/future projects.

EDIT: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page#IRC
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 12:05:16 PM by DILZNIK » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2015, 10:57:12 AM »

(There should be a list somewhere on my computer, and maybe even the DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page]Wikia contains more information.) (Gig)

Are you asking something to me?
IIRC, the only infos about irc in the wiki are here:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Main_Page#IRC

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »

I couldn't remember if there was a page on the wikia that had more information on the Open Arena related channels. Also, in the past I've created a simple html page for my site that would lead to each team/communities individual IRC channel.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 03:37:34 PM »

I won't appear on IRC ever.  There will be no OA3 development conducted on IRC.  There is no official OpenArena IRC channel.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2015, 03:41:26 PM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 07:24:26 PM »

Now I remember why no one wants to contribute.  sick Huh  Cry Cry

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2015, 09:51:27 PM »

I doubt real time chat has any bearing on whether people want to contribute or not.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 04:58:38 AM »

Public Relations are not Fromhell's best... however one has to consider her will to stay away from some web "places" (sites/platforms) may be related to previous experience with haters or worse...

Anyway, for developing a spare-time project with a few contributors from all around the world and very different timezones, a forum may be more adapt than a chat, IMHO.

Gig from cell phone.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 06:05:04 AM »

It's still rather an easy way to connect with people there in the chat. I know many people who are aware of the OA3 project and would contribute. Most likely they know where to go to reveal their desire to contribute.

I can only guess they don't want to work with a certain (person) or people to get the job done. There are many people I know that would add their own ideas and methods that would blend in well with the task at hand.

Also..

What on earth could I have possibly done to receive a negative cake?
Not that it bothers me, but I'm truly baffled by what could the reason for this. This definitely gives a undeserved look on my end from people who see this.

It seems only certain people here get actual positive cakes. I feel this post had it's own way of being impressively informative to those who are unaware of such protocol.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2015, 06:15:36 AM by DILZNIK » Logged

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:23:21 PM »

What on earth could I have possibly done to receive a negative cake?
Perhaps using four negative emoticons in a row?  Bit excessive I thought.

Wasn't me though.  But don't take the cakes seriously.  The cake is a lie.
DILZNIK
Half-Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 09:14:26 AM »

The IRC chat has picked up in the past few days. The more people who read the information the better.

Perhaps using four negative emoticons in a row?  Bit excessive I thought.

Wasn't me though.  But don't take the cakes seriously.  The cake is a lie.

Maybe I should add something to clear I'm not here to insult anyone; like how Gig includes on each of his. I don't think this cake/reputation system is much accurate from what I've seen over the years.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 09:19:37 AM by DILZNIK » Logged

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: