Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Server - Random crashing  (Read 22635 times)
oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« on: November 30, 2015, 03:55:42 PM »

Can't figure out what the problem is. Running v0.8.8 on Windows 7 with Excessive Plus v2.3. Server will run fine for a while, then just crashes randomly. No specific map, or time running. I've checked the openarena folder and do not see any crashlog.txt. Is there a way to generate one to try and pinpoint the problem?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 04:00:38 PM by oatop » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 09:46:54 AM »

It is  possible to use /logfile <number> command to have the game start creating a text file containing all console output that will follow it: 0=no log; 1=buffered; 2=continuous; 3=append so as not to overwrite old logs. Default value is 0. Log file will be named ''stderr.txt'' and will be placed in your OA installation folder.

Note: I took explainations of 1, 2, 3 from here: http://web.archive.org/web/20080405091729/q3console.planetquake.gamespy.com/variables.htm, I'm not sure about what they mean with "buffered".

Let us know if this helps!  Smiley

PS: Just added this info here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:51:01 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 09:47:55 AM »

It is  possible to use /logfile <number> command to have the game start creating a text file containing all console output that will follow it: 0=no log; 1=buffered; 2=continuous; 3=append so as not to overwrite old logs. Default value is 0. Log file will be named ''stderr.txt'' and will be placed in your OA installation folder.

Note: I took explainations of 1, 2, 3 from here: http://web.archive.org/web/20080405091729/q3console.planetquake.gamespy.com/variables.htm, I'm not sure about what they mean with "buffered".

PS: Just added this info here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console

Thanks for the info Smiley Trying it with 1=buffered. "stderr.txt" has been created in OA folder. Will see if it catches any crash info.

oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2015, 09:48:45 PM »

stderr.txt is no longer in the openarena directory  Huh I found this in the qconsole.log:

AAS initialized.
-----------------------------------
==== ShutdownGame ====
ShutdownGame:
------------------------------------------------------------
AAS shutdown.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 05:33:00 AM »

Strange... Did you try also with option 2 or 3?

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
grey matter

Cakes 8

>9k

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2015, 08:12:37 AM »

Not sure if these descriptions might have been correct for id Quake 3, but for ioquake3 they're slightly wrong.
cvar logfile can be
    no logfile is being created
    logfile is being created, writes are buffered*
  • > 1 (i.e. 2, 3, 4, .. same result)
    logfile is being created, writes are immediately flushed to disk

* buffered in the context of logfiles means that there is an interal buffer of a certain size that needs to be filled before the file actually gets written. In practice buffered files offer better performance since you need to hit the disk less often, but if your program crashes before the buffer is filled, you might loose a few of the last log lines that were in the buffer.

The logfile is called qconsole.log (not stderr.log, I don't think the engine ever creates a file of such name but I don't know about the Windows version..).

This space is for rent.
oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2015, 12:10:24 PM »

Not sure if these descriptions might have been correct for id Quake 3, but for ioquake3 they're slightly wrong.
cvar logfile can be
    no logfile is being created
    logfile is being created, writes are buffered*
  • > 1 (i.e. 2, 3, 4, .. same result)
    logfile is being created, writes are immediately flushed to disk

* buffered in the context of logfiles means that there is an interal buffer of a certain size that needs to be filled before the file actually gets written. In practice buffered files offer better performance since you need to hit the disk less often, but if your program crashes before the buffer is filled, you might loose a few of the last log lines that were in the buffer.

The logfile is called qconsole.log (not stderr.log, I don't think the engine ever creates a file of such name but I don't know about the Windows version..).

Here is the full qconsole.log:

Code:
logfile opened on Sat Dec 12 22:34:34 2015

------ Server Initialization ------
Server: pukka3tourney5
Hunk_Clear: reset the hunk ok
Current search path:
C:\Users\Biostar\AppData\Roaming\OpenArena/excessiveplus
C:\OpenArena\excessiveplus\z-xp-skins-1_0.pk3 (129 files)
C:\OpenArena\excessiveplus\z-xp-oa-2_3.pk3 (20 files)
C:\OpenArena\excessiveplus\z-xp-oa-2_2b.pk3 (59 files)
C:\OpenArena\excessiveplus\z-xp-oa-2_1.pk3 (37 files)
C:\OpenArena\excessiveplus\z-xp-oa-2_0a.pk3 (710 files)
C:\OpenArena/excessiveplus
C:\Users\Biostar\AppData\Roaming\OpenArena/baseoa
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\zih_roof.pk3 (109 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\simple-dm5.pk3 (106 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pukka3tourney5.pk3 (47 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pukka3tourney4.pk3 (104 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\plutonians.pk3 (54 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak6-patch088.pk3 (711 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak6-patch088--compatfix.pk3 (4 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak6-patch085.pk3 (559 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak6-misc.pk3 (229 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak5-TA.pk3 (139 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak4-textures.pk3 (1753 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak2-players.pk3 (669 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak2-players-mature.pk3 (231 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak1-maps.pk3 (100 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\pak0.pk3 (1042 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\map-vmpteam9.pk3 (19 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\map-mvdm12.pk3 (84 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\map-charon3dm13.pk3 (29 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\hal_palindrome.pk3 (76 files)
C:\OpenArena\baseoa\dk_se.pk3 (88 files)
C:\OpenArena/baseoa

handle 1: qconsole.log
----------------------
7108 files in pk3 files
Loading dll file qagame.
Sys_LoadDll(qagamex86.dll) could not find it
Failed to load dll, looking for qvm.
Loading vm file vm/qagame.qvm...
File "vm/qagame.qvm" found in "C:\OpenArena\excessiveplus\z-xp-oa-2_3.pk3"
VM file qagame compiled to 2406972 bytes of code
qagame loaded in 9613952 bytes on the hunk
------- Game Initialization -------
gamename: excessiveplus
gamedate: Jun 20 2014
InitGame: \fraglimit\30\timelimit\15\sv_hostname\^2House ^7of ^1Frag^5enstein ^2| ^3FFA\sv_maxclients\16\sv_minRate\0\sv_maxRate\25000\sv_pure\0\sv_allowDownload\1\sv_dlURL\http://q3axp.servegame.com/bwood\capturelimit\0\roundlimit\0\sv_punkbuster\0\g_redTeam\^1RED\g_blueTeam\^4BLUE\version\ioq3+oa 1.36_SVN1910M win_mingw-x86 Dec 25 2011\protocol\71\dmflags\0\g_gametype\0\mapname\pukka3tourney5\gamename\excessiveplus\g_needpass\0\xp_version\2.3\xp_date\Jun 20 2014\Uptime\0:00:00
ServerTime: 20151212223434 22:34:34 (12 Dec 2015)
TeamName: 1 ^1RED
TeamName: 2 ^4BLUE
^1ERROR^7: Could not open 'maps/pukka3tourney5.ents'
Warmup:
^1ERROR^7: Could not open 'maps/pukka3tourney5.add'
xp_config will be changed upon restarting.
------- BotLib Initialization -------
loaded weapons.c
loaded items.c
loaded syn.c
loaded rnd.c
loaded match.c
loaded rchat.c
------------ Map Loading ------------
trying to load maps/pukka3tourney5.aas
loaded maps/pukka3tourney5.aas
found 31 level items
-------------------------------------
AAS initialized.
==== ShutdownGame ====
ShutdownGame:
AAS shutdown.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2015, 06:17:43 PM »

It is very odd that qconsole.log does not show any error message, or even a "Server Shutdown (xxx)" message.

I can't explain it.  Can you run a normal OpenArena server (without excessiveplus) OK?
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2015, 02:12:31 AM »

Uhm... it looks like stderr.txt is created automatically, even with "logfile 0"... so there are two separate console logs...
- basepath/stderr.txt (always)
- homepath/baseoa or mod/q3console.log (if enabled by logfile cvar).

Updated wiki page with these infos (and removed "logfile 3")... (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Console_log

About oatop crash, it looks like there may be some problem with that map, pukka3tourney5... I don't know about those .ents and .add files mentioned in the error... :-/

PS: It looks like your server is using "sv_pure 0"... which is something generally not recommended...
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:47:52 AM by Gig » Logged

oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »

Uhm... it looks like stderr.txt is created automatically, even with "logfile 0"... so there are two separate console logs...
- basepath/stderr.txt (always)
- homepath/baseoa or mod/q3console.log (if enabled by logfile cvar).

Updated wiki page with these infos (and removed "logfile 3")... (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Console_log

About oatop crash, it looks like there may be some problem with that map, pukka3tourney5... I don't know about those .ents and .add files mentioned in the error... :-/

PS: It looks like your server is using "sv_pure 0"... which is something generally not recommended...

There is no stderr.txt in any directory. I do not have sv_pure 0 anywhere in server.cfg or commandline. server.cfg:

Code:
// misc
 set rconpassword "jun0627"
 set sv_hostname "^2House ^7of ^1Frag^5enstein ^2| ^3FFA"
 set sv_maxclients "16"
 set sv_maxrate "25000"
 set g_gametype "0"
// set bot_minplayers "4"
 seta bot_enable "1"
 seta g_spSkill "1"
 seta bot_nochat "1"
// seta s_useopenal "0"

set fraglimit "30"
 set timelimit "15"
 set capturelimit "0"
 set roundlimit "0"

// seta logfile "1"

seta   g_log                    "oa_games.log"
 seta   g_logSync                 "1"

seta   sv_allowdownload          "1"
 seta   sv_dlURL                "http://q3axp.servegame.com/bwood"

// configuration engine
 set xp_motd "motd.txt"

// map rotation (see rotation.txt)
 set xp_rotation "rotation.txt"
//  this is needed to start the rotation
//  test_bigbox is good because it tiny
 map plduel3

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 09:37:09 AM »

Ehm... it seems you just exposed your rconpassword to the wild.
You should really change it, now...

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2015, 10:25:54 AM »

About sv_pure...
Maybe in q3config.cfg?
What happens if you just type sv_pure in console?
I said that due to the "init game" line in your qconsole.log quote...

About stderr.txt instead, are you sure standard users have write permission to your installation folder?
Or maybe stderr.txt creation is controlled by some cvar I don't know.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2015, 04:04:09 PM »

stderr.txt and stdout.txt are files created by the SDL library, not by the engine itself.

Where those files are created may depend on what the "current" directory is when the program is run -- often it is where the EXE is, but can be other places too.

Those files only capture messages written to stderr/stdout by a program -- typically it is just the same stuff that is sent to the console.  I doubt there would be any other useful information in them.

And to repeat my previous question: does a server work WITHOUT excessive plus?
FFS, it is important to know if the problem is in that mod or more general.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 04:07:43 PM by andrewj » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2015, 04:23:31 PM »

And to repeat my previous question: does a server work WITHOUT excessive plus?
FFS, it is important to know if the problem is in that mod or more general.
Also, it would be useful to know if the problem is related to that specific map (that DOES show a couple of errors in the log file providen by oatop. I don't know their reason or gravity.) orhappens also in other maps.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 01:48:03 AM by Gig » Logged

oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2015, 04:59:10 PM »

Code:
^1ERROR^7: Could not open 'maps/pukka3tourney5.ents'
Warmup:
^1ERROR^7: Could not open 'maps/pukka3tourney5.add'

.ents and .add errors seem to appear no matter what map is loaded. I have removed all pukka3tourney maps from the server and it seems to be okay now. Played a few maps earlier with ExcessivePlayer and no crashes. BTW - Players... Please choose a freakin' name! Seems like every player who joins my server is either ExcessivePlayer or UnnamedPlayer  Roll Eyes

PS - Thanks for the replies  Wink and I changed rcon password  Embarrassed

oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2015, 05:37:04 PM »

About sv_pure...
Maybe in q3config.cfg?
What happens if you just type sv_pure in console?
I said that due to the "init game" line in your qconsole.log quote...

About stderr.txt instead, are you sure standard users have write permission to your installation folder?
Or maybe stderr.txt creation is controlled by some cvar I don't know.

I tried adding sv_pure "1" to server.cfg, then set sv_pure "1". Neither worked. Added +set sv_pure 1 to commandline, now it's working  Wink
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 05:39:20 PM by oatop » Logged

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2015, 01:50:27 AM »

I'm not an Excessiveplus expert. Maybe .ents and .add files could be an E+ specific system to add E+ specific items to already existing maps? I don't know...

AndrewJ, is DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Command_console&diff=17225&oldid=17218]what I wrote now about stderr.txt here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Console_log correct?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 07:49:56 AM by Gig » Logged

oatop
Nub

Cakes 1

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »

I'm not an Excessiveplus expert. Maybe .ents and .add files could be an E+ specific system to add E+ specific items to already existing maps? I don't know...

Posted a thread over at the excessive plus forums regarding the .ents and .add

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2015, 11:32:17 PM »

AndrewJ, is DO NOT LINK[/b]) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/index.php?title=Command_console&diff=17225&oldid=17218]what I wrote now about stderr.txt here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Command_console#Console_log correct?
I just had a look around SDL's documentation, looking for some clearer information, but those files are not described anywhere I can see.  So what you've written is fine I think.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: