Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: oa_rpg3dm1 devel  (Read 29085 times)
andrewj

Cakes 24

« on: December 30, 2008, 11:15:00 PM »

Here is oa_rpg3dm1 compiled with dummy textures and lighting, so that people can try out the gameplay and see what they think.  Includes AAS for bots.

Thanks to Armageddon_Man for the link to the original.  It didn't look as cool as I imagined, might be potential to make an even better looking map for OA Smiley

I made the following changes to the layout:
(1) put a quad damage where the red armor was
(2) replaced shotgun with nailgun, as well as ammo
(3) made the teleporter near the megahealth go to inside the building (instead of near the rocket launcher near the jumppad)

Feedback about the gameplay, and whether this map is even worth developing further, would be appreciated.

Other people have expressed an interest in retexturing this map.  They are welcome to it, but should let me know soon, otherwise I'll probably tackle it.

Zip file containing the PK3 file is attached below.....
PsYthe
Lesser Nub

Cakes 8

Obey 37.

« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 01:10:39 AM »

Nice, I had looked at this a while back and was very confused by the layout and didn't texture it. Turns out, the layout is indeed a little interesting. Nice textures, patches need to be textured in order to not be stretched, even though they don't look all that bad. I don't like the brown clang texture, the tan tiles texture is nice though.

You should leave the red armor and shotgun like they were, I noticed the lack of shotgun on it (nailgun is blech) and the red armor would definitely be better if left. The map is much less of a duel map if it has quad.

You should definitely follow through with this map, it'd be a great one for OA.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 07:18:37 AM »

Let's see it... ^^

OA will have a lot of more maps for 0.8.2. Tongue

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 07:34:08 AM »

I've took a look at it. It's great. Smiley I'm wondering if those lightspots are actually missing textures. Tongue

You should clip it in order to make human (and bot of course Tongue) navigation easier and don't make them getting stuck at for example the rock zone.

Other than that, it's a great map.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 03:10:03 PM »

We have this map under rotation in the OAA server: oaarg.servequak e.com. ^^

Also, I want to put it in the SP I'm doing with cosmo and others. Is there a possibility to finish it before 0.8.2? It would fit great, since there aren't much maps with this style.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2009, 09:49:41 AM by Neon_Knight » Logged

bill-----
Half-Nub

Cakes 8

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 08:31:42 PM »

First impressions:

Fun map.  Particularly for NG fans. :-)

That stack from mega->teleporter->nailgun->quad is a bit much though.  Me and four bots
was a splat-fest with NGs lying about everywhere.  Blanketing an area with a rain of
nails was a little *too* easy (Yeah, the bots were creaming me with the NG.).

It'd be a very different map with SG vs NG and RA vs Quad.  LG seems almost meaningless
with the current setup, but would be effective on the curved stairs and below platforms if you
weren't going to be immediately shredded if you didn't run.

I'm with Neon Knight concerning some player-clipping.  I got snagged more than I like.

Another spot is the teleporter below the GL platform.  The trigger brush is quite a ways out
from the visible portal.  However, I think it's like that to permit a jump from the platform
into the transporter.  The transporter below the quad works the same way.  Good for flow.

So, perhaps some clipping on either side of that teleporter to prevent accidental entry while trying to
pick up the nearby items (LG ammo and health), or moving those items a bit further away from the
teleporter would be good, IMHO.  Or some visual indicator on the floor in front of the teleporters
to show where they really work.

OA needs more good maps.  I really like oa_rpg3dm2, and dm1 could be another good one like it.
Looking forward to watching this one progress.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 08:54:42 PM »

Or... replacing Quad for Mega, since its a small map for Quad, I guess... also Quad is on the majority of OA maps, and this item in this map is easy to reach out, since a single jumping will give you to the item.

I also like rpg3dm2! For me is one of the best FFA maps on OA, if not the best. Is one of the maps that show how to use water to put a good item in there.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2009, 04:29:26 AM »

I'll work on this map again soon.

I plan to restore the items to how it was, i.e. shotgun and red armor.

I also really like oa_rpg3dm2, the lack of quad means it more a test of skill rather than who can get the quad first (which gets old after a while).  So if this map turns out visually like oa_rpg3dm2 then that wouldn't be a bad thing.  [What I have tried to do, in the meantime, was a utlra-modern shiny-metal building theme, but it looks a bit silly now].

The teleporter triggers (especially below the GL) are too big, I will tweak them.

I plan to keep the MH teleporter change (going inside the building).  With the previous setup, nearly all the action occurs outside in the area from the jump pad down the stairs to the teleporter below the quad (red armor) tower.  My change makes the upper storey of the building used a lot more.

Cheers for the feedback!
bill-----
Half-Nub

Cakes 8

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2009, 09:11:26 AM »

I like the teleporter by the MH.  It's needed, of course, for an exit from that low area.
With the teleporter target as you have it now, a pursuer has to remember that
he can expect a SG (or NG!) blast as he emerges thanks to the SG/NG placement
near the target.  The teleporter better serves its purpose as an escape route.

Time and play will tell if the easy item stack of MH/RA->teleporter->SG/NG->jump->MH/RA
unbalances the map or gives the players something to fight for.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2010, 07:21:12 AM »

Bumpity bump.

I have been working on this again (actually I started from scratch), and attached is the latest version : beta#1, plus a few screenies Cheesy

The main thing it needs now is polish, texture alignment, better clipping, etc, and I might make a few new textures (the top storey desperately needs a decent square-patterned floor).

bill-----
Half-Nub

Cakes 8

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2010, 09:10:16 PM »

Yeah.  It's got a look now. 

Like the weapon load.  RL, LG, SG, GL.  No sissy guns there!
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2011, 07:38:30 AM »

Bump.

andrewj gave me permission to take care of this one, so I'll be working on it.

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2011, 08:04:28 PM »

Is the bezier texture scale fixed?

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2011, 08:21:14 PM »

Where it's located?
(I haven't opened the map yet)

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2011, 11:22:21 PM »

Around one of those flights of stairs

oa_nemesis also has one of these messed up texture scales on a bezier floor

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2011, 04:37:30 AM »

It's now available in MapRaider Cheesy

http://www.mapraider.com/maps/?fileid=5584

VortexHU
Lesser Nub

Cakes 3

« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2011, 06:39:18 AM »

nice retexture, better than i remember other versions. pretty uniform lighting at the top level, tho.

— VortexHU —
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2016, 08:55:35 PM »

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand here it is.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ieoran9npcbt6sz/z_oa_rpg3dm1-a1.pk3?dl=0

Main changes:
- Bezier curves fixed.
- Added Possession support. (Requires latest binaries, gamecode and engine assets)
- Added .info file.
- Added a new secret chamber. Keep your eyes peeled and your reflexes sharp!
- Teleporters fixed. They don't teleport people who is far from them, and they have a new shader! The new shader is the new teleporter I'm using in many maps, replacing those water shaders. This pk3 contains the source files for those shaders.

Screenshots: (taken with both the OA3 Effect Assets and OA3 Heart Healths)

KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!

« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 09:08:57 PM by Neon_Knight » Logged

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2016, 10:57:48 PM »

flares on trimlights are terrible and are especially bad on that curvy arch door where there's a flare in mid-air

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2016, 12:54:17 AM »

Quickly tested. I like the map, although:
- Some flares should be removed, IMHO
- Maybe you may wish to add "nomarks" to lamps, but that's not really a requirement
- While I get the idea of pointing out where an item will spawn, I'm not sure the result of those ammo boxes in the light beam is nice...

Main changes:
- Added Possession support. (Requires latest binaries, gamecode and engine assets)
Tested. The map seems to work quite well with it! However, I think that only recent gamecode (nightly build or OAX B52+) is required for it, not updated binaries or extra assets.
- Added .info file.
For who is wondering what it is, please take a look here. However, I'm not sure about how to test it.
- Added a new secret chamber. Keep your eyes peeled and your reflexes sharp!
I haven't found it yet...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 01:02:27 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2016, 04:40:46 AM »

LOL, that beam was already in the map, I haven't added it. Tongue

I agree that it's unnecessary.

About the secret, hint: check the megahealth area. Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2016, 05:04:22 AM »

About the secret, hint: check the megahealth area. Smiley
Using noclip, I have found an hidden room behind the red armor (at the opposite side of the map than the megahealth). Pushing the button inside the room (which allows you to exit from it) shows a message that an hidden door has opened (ANOTHER one???  Undecided Or is it a bug?). I haven't yet found the button to open the door from the outside.

However, in the two screenshots, two places where texture aligment does not seem the best.
In the first case I suppose something can be done... in the second one, I don't know...

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2016, 08:07:02 AM »

Keep finding, it's a small button in the Megahealth area. A message should trigger once you find it. The button inside the chamber is the one you should use in order to escape from the chamber.

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2016, 09:19:25 AM »

Button found. I don't know how I could have missed it when I was searching for it before.
The button inside the chamber is the one you should use in order to escape from the chamber.
I did understand that, thank you. But I meant the button inside the room should only open the door, without showing the message too. Wondering how to do it...
However, I would remove the "nearby" word from the message.

PS: After you press the external button, you risk to "bump your head" in near geometry...
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 09:22:13 AM by Gig » Logged

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2016, 11:41:39 AM »

I'm thinking on directly removing that button and just adding a teleporter sending the player outside of the door. Also on removing the BFG and just placing an easter egg, as was the original intention.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: