Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Abbey OA Maps  (Read 56096 times)
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »

Quickly tested the map (first version). Seems promising.  Smiley
In the place of the screenshot attached, there is some view glitch out of the window (see part of the map which should not be visible. Also, "classic" hall of mirrors effect when looking down, not shown in the screenshot).
Possible fixes I could think about (not sure they would work): 1) Using a sky shader which includes a skybox? 2) usage of hint brushes? 3) limiting access to the window with playerclip (to make it more difficult to look up/down)?

To make filesize smaller, you may use .jpg instead of .tga (of course, if you don't need the alpha channel!). IIRC, if you are using Q3Radiant/Q3MAP, you can apply it only to textures which are NOT used in shaders... if you are using GTKRadiant/NetRadiant/Q3MAP2, you can apply it also to textures used in shaders.

Also, IIRC it should be possible to enable some kind of compression in .tga files when saving them, although I don't know how much that would change pk3 size, considering pk3 is a zip.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 01:54:17 PM »

Thank you for joking around at the "open here" stuff  Cheesy Cheesy

By the way, have you a new and fixed version to give us, as we can try it ?

Wink

your welcome Cheesy

... new version ?   Damn I have digging my own grave  punched

I currently on the road because of my real life job and try to workout the map while spare time.

current situation:

- have some small texture issues that need to fixed,

- my head its blow up because full of ideas that comes up .. ya know  to make the map awesome looking with details.
                 sample: was staying in Netherlands, in a old down town close to a ancient church, that makes me pregnant with a nice idea
                 to realize that I need to draw some textures with Gimp and write some shaders...

- I have some make some other appointments to work on my Urban Terror maps

weep   ... why there is no smilly that cries like hell? admin, moderator ... someone?

I also want to clean my brush work ... I am realy a messy while mapping first ideas.
The cleaning job is what I do later after I catched up my idea.  

On the other hand as mentioned I am a mapping nooob.
I still learning and have several questions to some issues I faced while mapping.

Hope I can find some answers here by abuse all mappers on that plattform Tongue
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 02:06:53 PM »

Quickly tested the map (first version). Seems promising.  Smiley
In the place of the screenshot attached, there is some view glitch out of the window (see part of the map which should not be visible. Also, "classic" hall of mirrors effect when looking down, not shown in the screenshot).
Possible fixes I could think about (not sure they would work): 1) Using a sky shader which includes a skybox? 2) usage of hint brushes? 3) limiting access to the window with playerclip (to make it more difficult to look up/down)?

To make filesize smaller, you may use .jpg instead of .tga (of course, if you don't need the alpha channel!). IIRC, if you are using Q3Radiant/Q3MAP, you can apply it only to textures which are NOT used in shaders... if you are using GTKRadiant/NetRadiant/Q3MAP2, you can apply it also to textures used in shaders.

Also, IIRC it should be possible to enable some kind of compression in .tga files when saving them, although I don't know how much that would change pk3 size, considering pk3 is a zip.

Hi Gig,

awesome thanks for your comment and that hints. Wink
I use a old style sky shader not an sky box. I love simple thinks I can make easy by myself, have failed to use a tool like Terragen.

I will try to figure out your recommentations.

Cheers  CG
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2015, 04:25:11 PM »

Maybe skybox is not the most apprpriate word. Maybe what I meant is named "farbox" in q3 shader manual.

Alternatively, maybe just an extra stage (in the right order and with the right parameters) may work as a non-transparent texture drawn behind the clouds, to hide that geometry which has not been hidden by vis?

It's just a guessing... I haven't yet tried if those shader tricks do fix that kind of glitch (in a q3 map I never released due to some issues, I somehow fixed that by helping vis via hint brushes on doors... I didn't know about farbox at that time).

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2015, 05:52:11 PM »

Thank you for joking around at the "open here" stuff  Cheesy Cheesy

By the way, have you a new and fixed version to give us, as we can try it ?

Wink

https://app.box.com/s/v668365a9k8142jui4rnw64q5fw6xc4y

Have fun dude ...

... all other too  Tongue

« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 06:31:28 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2015, 06:31:46 PM »

A question: is that a problem?:
I mean the liquid brush pushing out to the void.

andrewj

Cakes 24

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2015, 01:54:38 AM »

Yes, liquid brushes should not touch the void, so surround with solid brushes.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2015, 04:31:30 AM »

Hi, tryed it and here are some screenshots with comment:

By the way, you're not a real noob, you have some mapping skill, but need to be improved  Wink

Me too.....  punched

However here you can find some good suggestion (i mean in this forum).

EDIT: I've forgot to tell you to choose a music theme for this map, actually there's no sound, neither a sound effect...

Wink
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 04:38:09 AM by Akom74 » Logged

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2015, 09:57:54 AM »

Wow, many thanks Akom74 ... after spending a lot of hours for mapping ya get blind for that details.
Actually I also aware about some other textures needs to rotate or fix.

I have not pay attention to it for now.
The map is also still in development status to me. But its good to get some help from you all to get all this issues in the end.

All fixes I want to do for the relaese candit.
Thats will also the time when I set the map sound. I will go for a ambient sound, if I will find a awesome music track with GNU licence I will maybe go for it.

Yea the easter egg the intention for that is for me to mark it as alpha status,  I will change that spot with an hidden supprise for player and in the long trail to other players. Grin.

Someone any comments regarding gameplay or gameflow to the map?
When the gameplay / gameflow is allright I stay with the general brushwork and spend some time to fix the details like wrong textures.

BTW I have add an aas file to get bots to the map and to proof the gameplay/flow. Wink
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 10:00:21 AM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2015, 10:17:39 AM »

Bot roam all the map, except for the place of the rocket launcher the megahealth and the quad damage.
(I've tested with Adry Bot)

In the next release i suggest you to insert the original .map file to let us to help you with everything is bad with mapping.

I'm sure that someone else give you much feedback about the map.   Smiley Smiley

Wink

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2015, 11:37:41 AM »

Bot roam all the map, except for the place of the rocket launcher the megahealth and the quad damage.
(I've tested with Adry Bot)

In the next release i suggest you to insert the original .map file to let us to help you with everything is bad with mapping.

I'm sure that someone else give you much feedback about the map.   Smiley Smiley

Wink

Okay Bots are stupid Grin

The rocket launcher and megahealth should not be easy to receive. It is my intention that the player takes some effort. Even quad damage is only accessable by a rocket jump what I do not expect from a bot.

Mainlly I want to know about the moveflow for the human player around the map.
Bots are okay but I like to map for human players. I like combat maps for 1vs1 games thats should also dark abbey offer.

There are several handsome default maps that comes with OA version 0.88 but not all supports a nice smooth gameflow in my oppinion.

Cheers
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 11:59:44 AM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2015, 08:04:11 PM »

I love this thread Cheesy

top sky shader removed hope it is fixed now

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texture adjusted but faced to new issue Sad

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And here the Update:
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2015, 08:17:16 PM »

Update

- changes from the note above  Roll Eyes
- add music theme from the default OA0.88 set  ccool
- add new texture & shader:

Code:
textures/carca55/OA_churchwindow01
{
qer_editorimage textures/carca55/OA_churchwindow01.tga
q3map_lightimage  textures/carca55/OA_churchwindow01.tga
q3map_surfacelight 400
{
map textures/carca55/OA_churchwindow01.tga
}

}

Simple one ... btw, everyone is wellcome to use the texture including shader. licence: "do what ever ya want with it"

get the pk3 file of the whole map now:

https://app.box.com/s/lypjgl1y0tr1ue87jpqnhxetv9m57ahp

giggity topsy punched
« Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 08:51:26 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2015, 01:38:06 AM »

Hi, i've found something.....
.....see screenshots....

Thank you for fixing something, but ther's still a lot o fixes to do.... By the way it's a good "little" map. I think it will be played a lot once it's finished Smiley

This map will be released under GPLv3 license ?

In that case, you will insert in the PK3 the original .map file and the source of the textures you use.
I think GIG can explain this better than me.... Tongue

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2015, 02:50:55 AM »

Important: GPLv2, not GPLv3!

Oa is released under gplv2+.... gplv3 stuff cannot be used in official oa releases or oacmp.

About bots rocket jumping, occasionally they do to reach specific upper places (bspc identifies a few "weapon jump areas"), but that's rare.

However, they go for "suspended" items ONLY if they can be reached by a jummpad (they would not jump off a platform to det one). Or if they are suspended in water, I would add.

Gig from cell phone.

Ps: Sorry, haven't tried your new versions yet.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 03:19:47 AM by Gig » Logged

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #40 on: December 12, 2015, 03:04:55 AM »

Once again thanks for spending your time to improve the map I appreciated that.

Yes my intention is to release it under GNU but now I hope it will not screw the whole think.
Because I do not know if the used textures allow to do it.

The most textures I have take from the original OpenArena version 0.88 pack.
Cant say if there are all free to use. But would be a minor issue I can create own textures very fast.

The map file will also released, currently i prevent this because I want to build in some small idees yet.
And I want to avoid to get a confused by lot different version. I would offer to send the map somehow in a privat message till its released.

I have another issue you have not find yet, maybe with last release. There was some BFG ammo.
But no Big Fuking Gun in. My map file contains a BFG but it will not appear after build.

I remember to that issue while I have map some test maps but do not know how to fix it.

Yes there a lot of awesome big maps especialy from the map pack.
I miss some smaller maps thats why dark abbey exist Smiley
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #41 on: December 12, 2015, 03:34:03 AM »

I have another issue you have not find yet, maybe with last release. There was some BFG ammo.
But no Big Fuking Gun in. My map file contains a BFG but it will not appear after build.

I remember to that issue while I have map some test maps but do not know how to fix it.

Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #42 on: December 12, 2015, 03:37:14 AM »

Textures taken from official OA package are GPL'd (v2), you can re-use and modify them, as long as you use the same license (you can just include Copying file from OA) and you provide "sources" (e.g. psd, xcf) for multi-layer images.

Textures found in third-party packs should be accurately checked instead.

Map and texture sources do not need to be in the pk3, you can package them separately if you want to keep pk3 size small (a common way is to package both pk3 and sources in a zip package)... of course this stuff is more about the final release.

About bfg issue, maybe it is trying to spawn in the floor? You may try moving it a few units up. If you search in console, you may find some warnings about items spawning
in solid (loading the map from deeicated server mode allows to find those lines more easiliy).

I don't know if this is the case, haven't tried your new versions yet. (Written before Akom's reply).
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 05:47:41 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #43 on: December 12, 2015, 03:40:26 AM »

Important: GPLv2, not GPLv3!

Sorry, my bad......  punched

Wink

fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #44 on: December 12, 2015, 06:20:25 AM »

also i've noticed carca55's screens aren't overbright which could be throwing off suggestions

you may want to try compiling an engine from the git for some overbright workaround support (r_alternateBrightness 1) so you can see more proper volumes of lighting in your level.

I bring this up because there's some yellow lights in some places that give way too much light exposure causing the area to look flat.

Slowness testing (approximating p2-300 w/ v2) shows a consistent 27-40fps around the level. so that's good

also try -dirty to complement the Unreal-esque feel to the map with edged shadows Smiley
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:02:52 AM by fromhell » Logged

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #45 on: December 12, 2015, 07:47:04 AM »

Just tested third version on Android phone. Map has got a good enough framerate. Also, is well playable on the phone, except for the jumps required to get the rocket launcher and to the platform near it... can't those jumps be a bit more phone-friendly?
I still have to figure out how to reach quad... probably, horizontal rocket jumping is required... I fear I'm not capable of doing that from the phone... I will try from PC in some days.

A few other things:
- What about changing a few of the +25 health with +5 health?
- What about moving a few ammo boxes more distant from their own weapon spawn point?
- I can guess you placed that nice glass in the window to fix that vis problem... Good, but I think you should do the same also to the window next to it.
- I noticed a spawnpoint near the pool which makes you face a woody box..

However, I like this map.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2015, 07:50:42 AM by Gig » Logged

Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #46 on: December 12, 2015, 08:32:01 AM »

Here i am to suggest a little more thing Smiley Smiley

The BFG is an overpowered weapon, i think you don't need to give at the players BFG's ammo. Just leave the weapon and remove the ammoboxes.

Wink

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #47 on: December 12, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »

Wink

Thanks Smiley

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #48 on: December 12, 2015, 02:35:05 PM »

Textures taken from official OA package are GPL'd (v2), you can re-use and modify them, as long as you use the same license (you can just include Copying file from OA) and you provide "sources" (e.g. psd, xcf) for multi-layer images.

Textures found in third-party packs should be accurately checked instead.

Map and texture sources do not need to be in the pk3, you can package them separately if you want to keep pk3 size small (a common way is to package both pk3 and sources in a zip package)... of course this stuff is more about the final release.

About bfg issue, maybe it is trying to spawn in the floor? You may try moving it a few units up. If you search in console, you may find some warnings about items spawning
in solid (loading the map from deeicated server mode allows to find those lines more easiliy).

I don't know if this is the case, haven't tried your new versions yet. (Written before Akom's reply).

Thanks for all that info I have used only the original 0.88 pack and the Community Map pack was also installed... do not know if textures was taken from there.
Guess I will contact you when the time is comming to bring the beta and release candidate out.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #49 on: December 12, 2015, 03:46:15 PM »

"I have used only the original 0.88 pack and the Community Map pack was also installed"

You may want to add to the Readme file of your map that the CMP may be recommended as a requirement.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: