Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Dark Abbey OA Maps  (Read 56095 times)
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2015, 03:47:43 PM »

also i've noticed carca55's screens aren't overbright which could be throwing off suggestions

you may want to try compiling an engine from the git for some overbright workaround support (r_alternateBrightness 1) so you can see more proper volumes of lighting in your level.

I bring this up because there's some yellow lights in some places that give way too much light exposure causing the area to look flat.

Slowness testing (approximating p2-300 w/ v2) shows a consistent 27-40fps around the level. so that's good

also try -dirty to complement the Unreal-esque feel to the map with edged shadows Smiley

Fromhell ... whata hell screenshots are that different HUD and unknown weapon on it  Huh  topsy
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2015, 04:31:18 PM »

I have not understood if you mean you took some oacmp textures and edited them to create your own textures, or if you mean that the map may contain some oacmp textures/shaders which are not replicated in your own pk3.
When mapping, it is a good idea to use a "clean" baseoa installation (clean in both basepath and homepath), with just stick oa 088 pk3s and nothing else.

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2015, 04:46:50 PM »

Just tested third version on Android phone. Map has got a good enough framerate. Also, is well playable on the phone, except for the jumps required to get the rocket launcher and to the platform near it... can't those jumps be a bit more phone-friendly?
I still have to figure out how to reach quad... probably, horizontal rocket jumping is required... I fear I'm not capable of doing that from the phone... I will try from PC in some days.

A few other things:
- What about changing a few of the +25 health with +5 health?
- What about moving a few ammo boxes more distant from their own weapon spawn point?
- I can guess you placed that nice glass in the window to fix that vis problem... Good, but I think you should do the same also to the window next to it.
- I noticed a spawnpoint near the pool which makes you face a woody box..

However, I like this map.

I have also that version on my android celler .... will never understand how to manage the controll  punched
You want a phone friendly version  Cheesy get a bloody bluetooth mouse and keyboard to fix it  Tongue

Sorry dude I don't want to instult you, but please understand I have make my self study to build fun making maps while playing.  grouch
I am still in that process of learning and I am right now to realize something that is close to that.
These jumps should take some effort for the gameplays sake.

I can do in the end a cellar phone edition of it and add just simply a connection way between the plattforms.  Azn

To ya other points:

- What about changing a few of the +25 health with +5 health?
good idea .... done for the next release

- What about moving a few ammo boxes more distant from their own weapon spawn point?
consider about that from now I leave it like it is. maybe some more suggestion will come about that

- I can guess you placed that nice glass in the window to fix that vis problem... Good, but I think you should do the same also to the window next to it.
yes looks nicer .. done for the next release

- I noticed a spawnpoint near the pool which makes you face a woody box..
Huh realy  Shocked I can't belief

someone has an explain for that issue?
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2015, 05:02:03 PM »

I have not understood if you mean you took some oacmp textures and edited them to create your own textures, or if you mean that the map may contain some oacmp textures/shaders which are not replicated in your own pk3.
When mapping, it is a good idea to use a "clean" baseoa installation (clean in both basepath and homepath), with just stick oa 088 pk3s and nothing else.

Why not use my brand new box.com cloud for that Grin

Here the blue marked files I have on my map development environment installed:
The 0.8.8 release and the oacmp-volume1-v3

Have take the textures randomly, from now can't say if there was from 0.8.8 pack only.
Test would be to run the map with an 0.8.8 only installation .... may I try later  Tongue

All other textures / shaders are done by myself.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #54 on: December 12, 2015, 07:15:28 PM »

Breaking Release with some fixes and suggestions added.

https://app.box.com/s/410tqufrjrdnniij3u9119580gydu0qi

Demo from my gameplay with bots:
https://app.box.com/s/410tqufrjrdnniij3u9119580gydu0qi

Post also your demos from the current release  giggity

and leave your comments Tongue
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:02:56 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
fromhell
Administrator
GET A LIFE!

Cakes 35

« Reply #55 on: December 12, 2015, 10:36:39 PM »

They're both the demo file.

asking when OA3 will be done won't get OA3 done.
Progress of OA3 currently occurs behind closed doors alone

I do not provide technical support either.

new code development on github
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2015, 02:07:10 AM »

They're both the demo file.

Cheesy copy&paste issue

2nd try:

https://app.box.com/s/f1esenaeoeswne1n76t8az0bd3ue85rr
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2015, 05:31:48 AM »

About screenshots from Fromhell, she's working on the OA3 content reboot. In her screenshots you can see previews of stuff which will be in OA3.

About the spawn point, maybe it's an Android-specific bug (I thought Pelya already fixed a similar problem....), or maybe it was my fault. I will have to do some more testing to see if that happens angain and if happens on Android only.

About the glass, I said that because also in the second window the glitch was visible, although less than in the first one.

About source/licensing of textures/shaders used... it is important if you want to follow gpl compliance (required if you wish your map included in future official oa/oacmp releases)... Easier to track while working than in a second time...

Gig from cell phone.

UPDATE: Yes, I think the spawning problem is just an Android version bug...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 07:57:02 AM by Gig » Logged

I never want to be aggressive, offensive or ironic with my posts. If you find something offending in my posts, read them again searching for a different mood there. If you still see something bad with them, please ask me infos. I can be wrong at times, but I never want to upset anyone.
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2015, 09:53:41 AM »

About screenshots from Fromhell, she's working on the OA3 content reboot. In her screenshots you can see previews of stuff which will be in OA3.

About the spawn point, maybe it's an Android-specific bug (I thought Pelya already fixed a similar problem....), or maybe it was my fault. I will have to do some more testing to see if that happens angain and if happens on Android only.

Gig from cell phone.

UPDATE: Yes, I think the spawning problem is just an Android version bug...

Have try the map with android version by myself. I was faced to that issue to all spawn points was srewed direction. Once it was turning fast after respawn and I guess thats was happen. After spawn the controll to turn around is locked and cause that mess.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2015, 11:51:22 AM »

Just pointed out the problem in Android port thread... :-)

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2015, 03:30:23 AM »

Back to the map...
- From PC, I did the horizontal rocket jump to get the quad.  Smiley However, I noticed there are plasmagun and plasma ammo near... maybe it may be possible to reach the quad also by lateral plasmaclimb? I really suck at plasmaclimb, but maybe skilled people could do (I'm not sure, the distance is really long!)... however, due to the woody girtel at the right of the quad platform, I suppose it would be impossible to reach the platform anyway. So, I don't know whether to suggest you to modify the quad platform to make it possible to reach it by lateral plasmaclimb, or not (due to the distance being quite long, it may be impossible anyway).

- In the area where there are the nice glass windows (and the four "guard" runes, if one has g_runes enabled), bots go very rarely (first screenshot). I can suggest you to try placing some item_botroam (don't forget the "weight" key) in the path that brings there, in the hope they would reach that part of the map.

- It is still possible to spectate too high (second screenshot), hence showing some glitches. I think you should place a big "common/clip" (player clip) roof brush on the top of the map, to avoid going too high. A few infos about clip brushes here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Bot_play#Clip_brushes:_bot_clip.2C_player_clip_and_weapon_clip

UPDATE: It looks like there are 6 armor shards which do not spawn due to starting in solid:
Quote from: OA_DED (dedicated server console)
------------ Map Loading ------------
trying to load maps/darkabbey_a3e.aas
loaded maps/darkabbey_a3e.aas
item_armor_shard in solid at (-144.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-168.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-264.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-240.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-216.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-192.0 -720.0 -344.0)
found 73 level items
-------------------------------------
37 bots parsed
157 arenas parsed
AAS initialized.
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-144 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-168 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-264 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-240 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-216 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-192 -720 -344)

You can find them in the editor following X Y Z coordinates.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 03:43:49 AM by Gig » Logged

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #61 on: December 14, 2015, 01:27:32 PM »

Back to the map...
- From PC, I did the horizontal rocket jump to get the quad.  Smiley However, I noticed there are plasmagun and plasma ammo near... maybe it may be possible to reach the quad also by lateral plasmaclimb? I really suck at plasmaclimb, but maybe skilled people could do (I'm not sure, the distance is really long!)... however, due to the woody girtel at the right of the quad platform, I suppose it would be impossible to reach the platform anyway. So, I don't know whether to suggest you to modify the quad platform to make it possible to reach it by lateral plasmaclimb, or not (due to the distance being quite long, it may be impossible anyway).

- In the area where there are the nice glass windows (and the four "guard" runes, if one has g_runes enabled), bots go very rarely (first screenshot). I can suggest you to try placing some item_botroam (don't forget the "weight" key) in the path that brings there, in the hope they would reach that part of the map.

- It is still possible to spectate too high (second screenshot), hence showing some glitches. I think you should place a big "common/clip" (player clip) roof brush on the top of the map, to avoid going too high. A few infos about clip brushes here: (DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/Mapping_manual/Bot_play#Clip_brushes:_bot_clip.2C_player_clip_and_weapon_clip

UPDATE: It looks like there are 6 armor shards which do not spawn due to starting in solid:
Quote from: OA_DED (dedicated server console)
------------ Map Loading ------------
trying to load maps/darkabbey_a3e.aas
loaded maps/darkabbey_a3e.aas
item_armor_shard in solid at (-144.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-168.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-264.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-240.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-216.0 -720.0 -344.0)
item_armor_shard in solid at (-192.0 -720.0 -344.0)
found 73 level items
-------------------------------------
37 bots parsed
157 arenas parsed
AAS initialized.
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-144 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-168 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-264 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-240 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-216 -720 -344)
FinishSpawningItem: item_armor_shard startsolid at (-192 -720 -344)

You can find them in the editor following X Y Z coordinates.

Gig awesome thank you your tips help me a lot. I will change the quad damage spot to close the gap to make that jump more possible.
And to use the log to find issues is what I have learned now by you  Smiley

Also the clip is a good idea.

I also think about to change the entry to the secret area its seams too easy to reach the access.
What do ya think about. Maybe you have some suggestions also to make it more edvanced?
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:49:42 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #62 on: December 14, 2015, 06:05:40 PM »

Hi All poste more demos from map current release please  giggity  https://app.box.com/s/f1esenaeoeswne1n76t8az0bd3ue85rr

Another demo from me:  sick
https://app.box.com/s/6a38466wbt1gy7r1aul4w81z8ofkg7yu
« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 06:15:50 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #63 on: December 15, 2015, 02:30:03 AM »

I also think about to change the entry to the secret area its seams too easy to reach the access.
What do ya think about. Maybe you have some suggestions also to make it more edvanced?

Not sure, maybe you may make the BFG appear more rarely (default respawn time for weapons is 5 seconds for all modes, except TDM where it is 30, IIRC) by setting the "wait" key.
Or you may give it fewer ammo (by setting the "count" key, IIRC).
In general, both things are not recommended (due to altering default gameplay), but however they are things a mapper can do if he thinks they are good for balancing or just because he likes (and in this case, we are talking about the BFG, not a standard weapon).

PS: Checking console output to search for "startsolid" errors is a "good practice" which should be done every time you added/moved multiple items in a map, before publishing the new version. It can be done by scrolling up the console also in normal play... but doing it from dedicated server console allows to identify those lines more quickly, because there is much less stuff shown during map loading (there is not the "client" part).  Wink
« Last Edit: December 15, 2015, 02:52:11 AM by Gig » Logged

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #64 on: December 15, 2015, 03:40:52 PM »

Not sure, maybe you may make the BFG appear more rarely (default respawn time for weapons is 5 seconds for all modes, except TDM where it is 30, IIRC) by setting the "wait" key.
Or you may give it fewer ammo (by setting the "count" key, IIRC).
In general, both things are not recommended (due to altering default gameplay), but however they are things a mapper can do if he thinks they are good for balancing or just because he likes (and in this case, we are talking about the BFG, not a standard weapon).

PS: Checking console output to search for "startsolid" errors is a "good practice" which should be done every time you added/moved multiple items in a map, before publishing the new version. It can be done by scrolling up the console also in normal play... but doing it from dedicated server console allows to identify those lines more quickly, because there is much less stuff shown during map loading (there is not the "client" part).  Wink

okay, I guess this

Code:
Carca55Gr1nd3r entered the game
]\condump trace_darkabbey.txt
Dumped console text to trace_darkabbey.txt.

is also doing the job Grin

Currently I have not find time to map on. As soon I have made some updates I come up with breaking news punched
Regarding OA3 ... is there help wanted? I can offer some more mapping progress and small gfx stuff like textures Smiley

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2015, 04:44:35 PM »

General infos about OA3:
(DO NOT LINK) h t t p s : / / openarena . wikia . com/wiki/OA3

OA3 forum section is restricted and hidden... I don't know exactly requirements to enter such section (time of registration, number of posts, manual permission by Fromhell?).

Maybe someone with enough spare time, good will and knowledge of shaders may complete the famous q3 texture replacement...

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #66 on: December 22, 2015, 04:33:25 AM »

Latest Release of Dark Abbey

https://app.box.com/s/3v1pip7o3gksou2ohb3e5shs10w3pdgg

Changes:

- player clip add on roof
- enlarge spawn time for BFG to 3min
- add OA flaggs

pk3 file cames with map file now

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #67 on: December 22, 2015, 08:34:10 AM »

I don't recommend messing around with the items' timing. It's better to place the BFG in a riskier place. Remember the "risk vs. reward" concept.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #68 on: December 22, 2015, 11:52:30 AM »

Quickly tested version "h" now, seems good.

I also noticed you changed "guard" runes with +5 armor. It also seems bots go to that part of the map somehow more often. :-)

I've actually been able to do the lateral plasmaclimb some times.

It is possible to rockejump to where I am in the two screenshots attached... (as a sort of shortcut, maybe?). I don't know if this passage is intentional or not (if not, maybe lowering a little the playclip ceiling and/or making the walls a bit higher may stop users from going up there)... however from that place it is possible to notice a (very small) glitch: the upper part of the secret door appears out from the wall, when the door is open.

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #69 on: December 22, 2015, 01:13:55 PM »

I've actually been able to do the lateral plasmaclimb some times.

really  Huh  send me a demo, wana see it  Wink

Gig
In the year 3000

Cakes 45

« Reply #70 on: December 22, 2015, 02:59:59 PM »

As I told, I really suck at plasmaclimb. I did it two-three times out of about 20 tries or similar...
Anyone really capable of plasmaclibing should do easily enough (the starting point with the wall beginning after the end of the platform maybe makes it somehow more difficult, however it's definitely possible, if even I did it).

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #71 on: December 22, 2015, 04:57:38 PM »

I don't recommend messing around with the items' timing. It's better to place the BFG in a riskier place. Remember the "risk vs. reward" concept.

More risky spot? Okay how about a platform over lava pool? See screenshot.

Neon_Knight
In the year 3000

Cakes 49

Trickster God.

« Reply #72 on: December 23, 2015, 08:48:35 AM »

Way much better.

"Detailed" is nice, but if it gets in the way of clarity, it ceases being a nice addition and becomes a problem. - TVT
Want to contribute? Read this.
Akom74

Cakes 9

Q3A/OA Mapper

« Reply #73 on: December 23, 2015, 09:34:16 AM »

The lava pool maybe a good idea, but not in the same place as it is now.

Build it on the first floor. Smiley

Wink

...sorry for my English, i'm Italian... Tongue

carca55gr1nd3r
Bigger member

Cakes 4

« Reply #74 on: December 23, 2015, 02:46:51 PM »

The lava pool maybe a good idea, but not in the same place as it is now.

Build it on the first floor. Smiley

Wink

My initial idea was to build it next to the secret room. Now by your suggestion to put it on first floor I got that idea:

That lava BFG room will be placed below first floor (hope ya mean ground floor) with a grid roof so that it is visible at the top ground floor. And the access to that room over portal only. The portal placed inside the secret room.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 02:54:32 PM by carca55gr1nd3r » Logged
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: